Stand and shoot=/? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stand and shoot=/?

Iwas excited to start necrons, then i heard someone say they are stand and shoot!? Is this true? I thought they would move alot and shoot but not stand and shoot=/ clear thhis up please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

OT5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on your style of play. The necrons have some very mobile fire power such as immortals and destroys both being able to move and shoot. Also the basic warriors are best mid-short range with their rapid firing gauss weapons. This means that they are going to have to do some moving to get into a good firing position or capture objectives or table quarters. So in general they do not have to be a stand and shoot army if you do not want them to.

I am not a necron player myself (have fought against them a few times though) but I am sure some of the other members of this form can give you some more specific information.

Hope that helps somewhat :shifty:
    "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and win where I fight."
    ~General George S. Patton

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means for preserving peace."
    ~George Washington

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
    ~General Dougles MacAuther

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons can be used in a stand-and-shoot way. I took a legion at 1000pts against orks, and completely krumped 'em. I just dug in behind a low wall, and as soon as they were in RF range they were toast. A couple got through to combat, but the legion could easily take them down at that stage. However, it is only really warriors which benefit from stand-and-shoot.

Immortals and destroyers are best used on the move.

Because destroyers can move 12, shoot 36, and charge 6 all in one turn (not that I advise any charging), or turboboost 24, they are a very present help for cutting down units trying to flank you, or reaching across the battlefield to weaken a unit harassing your warrior core. They are highly mobile and are best when this aspect is played to its full capacity.

Immortals, while not having the speed of destroyers, are a very strong force on the table when used in a mobile way. With a VoD lord, or a monolith, they can be anywhere on the battlefield in a single turn, or can move 6 and still shoot at their full range. They are, again, best used on the move.

While necrons can be played very effectively as stand-and-shoot, they are most deadly, and a truly fearful enemy, when played in the mobile way that they are capable of.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that Destroyers' Gauss Cannon being Heavy3 means that may not both shoot and assault in the same turn. Heavy weapons on jetbikes (or Destroyers in our case) can move and shoot in the same turn, but I don't know that the rules say you may also assault. If this in in err, please let me know the page number, since I play it the way I described. The Immortals, however, may move their 6", shoot 24", and then assault 6" since they possess Assault2 weapons. Something to keep in mind is that for the move/shoot/move to be possible, you're essentially talking about the Immortals being able to move 6", shoot 6", and assault 6" (since a 24" range doesn't mean much in the overall equation when assaulting since you can't assault that far).

Still, the idea is correct: Destroyers (both types) and Immortals are terrific mobile shooters. Throw in some Wraiths and Scarab Swarms (especiialy those scarabs) and you can have a very fast attack force indeed.

Marcus
    Last edited by PygmyHippo; February 1st, 2006 at 23:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pg's 53 and 54, under the sub heading 'shooting phase' in the jetbike and bike rules. "A bike is allowed to fire heavy and rapid fire weapons up to maximum capability, even if they move, and are still allowed to charge in the assault phase"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Every single unit in the necron army except the standard Warrioris capable of moving,shooting and assaulting in the same turn. So I would say no, the necron army is not stand and shoot. It can be used this way, but thats a terrible waste of the necrons manueverability IMO.

Warriors have "rapid fire" weapons, so they can't assault if they shoot, and if they move they can only rapid fire their weapons(2 shots,12"), but this is the most effective way to use their weapons anyway.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you broken_spoons.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Necrons have units that are either moving 6" a turn or moving 12-24". You can make some suprisingly mobile lists (unsurprisingly based around destroyers).

Necrons like to move to get into rapid fire range and then dig in, its all about supporting the slow with the fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an aside, (again I'm pretty sure i'm right here, but i've been wrong often enough before... *S*) Destroyers aren't jetbikes... they move as jetbikes, but are not jetbikes.. so i'm not sure the rule that broken spoons is refering to is applicable...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Yes, destroyers may move, fire heavy weapons and assault in the same turn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast