Escalation - Starting Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Escalation - Starting Army

Ok, my local store is beginning an Escalation Tournament in mid-march and I was looking through the possibilities for the first 500pt. battle. I have a few ideas on how to make it but after reading through some posts on here i'm not sure on which one would work out the best. I'm open to criticism and opinions since this will be my first army. Ok, my first choice was to get 2 squads of 10 warriors and 2 heavy destroyers for vehicles. Reading through the posts though it seems more common for people to take destroyers and scarab swarms instead of heavy guys. I was just wondering which would be more balance and would help in the long run of building my army too. Thanks in advance.

(The 500pt. part does not require a HQ, so i decided to take more troops instead and add him in the 1000pt. part)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you intend on playing your Necrons? With only warriors and no Ress. Orb, you'll need to keep in mind that opponents may have power weapons and/or Str 8+ weapons. These will finish you pretty quick. A Lord with a Ress. Orb is NOT a bad choice and will seriously annoy your opponent (even in melee).

Concerning destroyers, if you have to take two squads of troops, then you are left with 140 pts. This will not get you any squads of destroyers (minimum 3, 150 pts. total). If you choose not to take a lord, I would then suggest scarabs. They are great at helping to manage the playing field. Their ability to turbo-boost around the board will allow you to manage virtually the entire field. Heavy weapon squad annoying you? Send in the scarabs. Impending melee doom? Slow 'em down with some scarabs.

Are you required to take two troop choices? If not, I suggest the following....

10 Warriors (180 pts.)
    5 Destroyers (250 pts.)
    5 Scarab Swarms (60 pts.)

TOTAL 490 pts.
    Phase Out 3

The warriors advance, as they are supposed to do, until within firing range. The destroyers zoom around, neutralizing threats to WBB rolls and staving off Phase Out with their T 5. The scarabs are there to help you manage the field. In the long run for your later armies, destroyers will be your long range weaponry of choice. Also keep in mind, 10 scarab bases equals 30 wounds, so even the hardiest of meleers will be slowed for a mere 120 pts. (cheap by Necron standards LOL).

Well, hopefully this helps with your decision.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

At 500 points heavy destroyers are pointless, they cost too much to really be effective.

There is only one decent necron 500 point list, 20 warriors (arranged how you like) and a lord with a res. orb.

That stands the nbest chance of winning, you are getting a lord for that CC punch and plenty of warriors for numbers and the res. orb is a must, never ever leave the tomb without it- its just too invaluable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I think i'm going to go with 20 warriors divided in two groups and a lord with an orb. Thats 500 pts. exactly but I was wondering what would be effective against a dreadnought. As I know right now, two armys will have one so it would be pretty bad if I can't touch it after I killed most of their army. It would take me two 6's in a row to destroy if i'm right. Should I worry about it or will the warriors be sufficient?

EDIT: I'm currently reading something about restircted units in escalation levels so this may answer my question.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

A dreadnought at 500 pts would be inconvienient. Disruption field scarabs would worry it but probably wouldn't destroy it before getting mulched themselves. I'd have to recommend pouring gauss fire into the beastie- remember imobilisation and weapon destroyed hits are all handy too.

lethnavrin's list is pretty good but I'd probably drop to 3 destroyers and more warriors- helpfully similar to what's in a necron battalion box.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, we have to take two troop choices so necrons are basicly restricted to the 2 groups and a lord list. Another question though, how many warriors would you suggest for a 1000 pt. army? Right now all I have is 12 warriors and a lord so I figured I should just get the battalion box so I can get a head start on the 1000 pt. list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can play a game of 40k in 40 min. This lets you take a minimum load out of 10 warriors and then you get to choose what you want.

Recon is also good, because you can't take a lord, cutting down on your costs to allow full flights of destroyers or wraiths.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by N1nj4
    Eh, we have to take two troop choices so necrons are basicly restricted to the 2 groups and a lord list. Another question though, how many warriors would you suggest for a 1000 pt. army? Right now all I have is 12 warriors and a lord so I figured I should just get the battalion box so I can get a head start on the 1000 pt. list.
    That's pretty sensible- you'd be silly not to plan ahead. I'd say the battalion would give you enough warriors (including what you already have) to be planning all the way up to 1500pts. With them, the lord plus the destroyers and scarabs that come in the box 100pts is looking pretty easy and you can start planning on a few metal units once you've played a few games and have an idea of what fit's your style. Use the 500 and 1000pt games to work out where your weaknesses are, as well as your peferences and work around those.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread