Advice for selling Orks on Ebay - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for selling Orks on Ebay

I have a bunch of assembled, unpainted orks that I was planning on selling. I really like the game W40k but --

A) the models i have follow no plan or coherent design in making an army, its really just a bunch of random models and

It is way too expensive to continue given the current price of warhammer 40k models

My current plan is as follows: i can either sell all of my ork models, and just let go of the hobby because of how expensive it is... or i can still sell all of my models and basically rebuild my ork army by getting boxes of warhammer through a friend that works in GW, who gets an 80% discount on GW stuff. If i could get that deal for at least most of a new ork army, i would do it in a heart beat. Any advice on what to do here would be appreciated, but thats not the main purpose of this topic.

This is what I have, and Id like some advice on how to go about selling this stuff, and at what price etc...

I was figuring for everything assembled and unpainted (In my opinion being assembled and unpainted is better than assembled and painted poorly) so for everything that is in good condition, assembled and painted ill try to sell for 50%. This makes perfect sense for me because just because its opened doesnt mean the value should decline greatly. Its not like it is a valued item for its precious rarity and collecters value--but rather what it is, plastic models that are undamaged and to be painted and played with.

So here goes what I have, and its basic level of damage and assembledness:

NOTE: Everything is assembled in standard positions, nothing outrageous and awkward, but nothing amazingly creative or imaginative. Arms and other body parts are, for as much as I can tell, straight and smoothly glued to the models without obstructions or horrendous blobs of glue.

2 Killa Kans - Assembled with claw arms but without the gun(s) it comes with, they would be provided with the package so they could glue it. I did this because I was not sure what gun to attach to eat killa kan. Current selling price of Killa Kans from Gamesworkshop: $20.00 US -- $40.00 total.

2 Mega Armoured Nobs - Fully assembled, no awkward conversions or poorly placed bits. Standard Powerclaw and shoota that is required by having mega armour. Took a lot of effort to get the jaws on, but they came out good in the end. Current selling price of Mega-Armoured Nobs from Gamesworkshop: NOT LISTED ON US GW SITE I am estimating $15.00 US -- $70.00 total.

1 Assembled Looted Basilisk - The build quality on this is not great, partially because I am sure that I was shipped a defect basilisk that had a messed up leman russ demolisher chassis, but I am not sure. The tracks are slightly off track, and the armoured plate that covers the base of the cannon is broken off. It is not terribly disfigured but not as quality as the other models. Current selling price of Basilisks from Gamesworkshop: $40.00 US -- $110.00 total.

5 Warbikes - Fully assembled, 3 with evil sun poles sticking up in the back, 2 without, don't know what to do with that. No problems or mistakes on the model. Cool, albeit outdated, looking models. Current selling price of Warbikes from Gamesworkshop: $15.00 US --$185.00 total.

1 Wartrukk - Fully assembled, no problems with this except for maybe that the front wheels are a smidge to high and slightly touch the railing on the ****pit. It does not look strange it just seems weird on close inspection. Current selling price of Wartrukks from Gamesworkshop: $25.00 US -- $210.00 total.

1 Ork Dreadnought - Assembled, but butchered. I took off one of the arms to add to my experimental warboss as a bionik arm, and its other arm is missing the claw tip, but I can always fix both of these problems by taking the paint off of the warboss' arm (not sure how to do that, advice would be appreciated) and maybe ordering the claw bit or... (not sure on this one either, help would be thanked). Other than its normal, and I really want to sell this model because it goes for a hefty 45.00 new. Current selling price of Ork Dreadnought from Gamesworkshop: $45.00 US -- $255.00 total.

2 Burna Boyz -- Fully assembled... I mean come on its one piece, nothing could possibly go wrong with this. Love this model. Current selling price of Ork Burna Boy Blister from Gamesworkshop: $10.00 US -- $265.00 total.

3 'Eavy Weapon Teams -- Fully assembled, 3 Boys with Rokkit Launchas and 3 with Big Shootas. Assembled perfectly, look fine. Current selling price of Ork 'Eavy Weapon Teams from Gamesworkshop: $10.00 US -- $295.00 total.

1 Mekboy -- Another 1 piecer metal model. Nothing wrong with him at all. Current selling price of Mekboy Blister from Gamesworkshop: $10.00 US -- $305.00.

1 Slaver -- Nothing wrong with the runtherder. Current selling price of Mekboy Blister from Gamesworkshop: $10.00 US -- $315.00.

30 Grots -- Yay grots... everyones' favorite meatshield. Assembled and unpainted. some glue on the bases but its white and powderized so there is nothing wrong with them really. There should be 32 Grots, since you buy them in packs of four, but 2 have gone missing in action I suppose. Since a pack of four costs eight dollars, I will just count each grot as two dollars each, since I do not have even multiples of 4. Current selling price of 30 Grots from Gamesworkshop: $60.00 US -- $375.00.

1 Unopened Box of Ork Boyz -- 1 Unopened box of Ork Boyz. Current selling price of 1 Box of Ork Boyz from Gamesworkshop: $35.00 -- $410.00.

55 Ork Slugga Boyz -- A similar story to the grots... there should be 64, but there have been many fallen brothers. If we do the math... a Box of 16 orks goes for 35 dollars so that means each ork would cost roughly 2.19, so we could even round that down to 2 for the buyers sake. Current selling price of 55 Ork Slugga Boyz from Gamesworkshop: $110.00 -- $520.00.

I also have 2 Ork Codeces, 1 beaten up which i'll probably keep and the other in almost perfect condition. Im not sure whether or not to throw it in or not. That tacks on another 20$ to the total making the grand total maximum value of the package...

$540.00 US

Obviously the selling price, or starting bid price would be less than $540.00.

So suggestions, strategies, I need some help here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I've been researching ebay prices lately cause I want to sell my orks to finance a new army. Bad news, I've found. My army is complete and legal, and cost me about $500 Australian. I'm hoping to get $200 for it and that's being optimistic, judging on what other armies are going for atm.

Even though they are painted to a uniform high standard most people want unpainted models, so hopefully you'll have better luck with your unpainted guys. I toyed with the idea of selling my army bit by bit but it's too much hassle and besides they look better as an army as each piece is themed to match the rest of the army. Maybe you should sell yours in bits, eg killa kans + Dread as one lot, boyz as another, grots as another, etc.

Selling second hand GW stuff on ebay is no way to make money, I can tell you that. you'll be lucky to get half what you paid as everyone wants awesome deals, so they lose interest if it goes near the retail price. Plus Orks aren't that popular. I reckon the best you could do on ebay would be if you were selling a bunch of unpainted cadians, they seem to do well and get close to retail price. Anything else forget it.

But hey, at least your getting some money back for all that cash you've spent, it's not just poured into the garbage. That's the way I look at it.

Although maybe you'll be lucky, first thing I ever sold on ebay was a painted immolator and I got over 40 bucks for it (the immy costs 65 australian so that was pretty sweet.) Ebay is hard to predict.
    Last edited by Kahoolin; February 13th, 2006 at 04:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I just sold my Ogres and I am in the process of selling my 40k Khorne and Tzeentch army. In the past I have sold a Slaanesh army, a LatD army and a Dark Eldar army. The bad news is that I didn't get any more than half price at most for these armies. The only exception is the ogres, which I got 2/3 price for (a price so high I didn't think anyone would buy them, as I wanted to hang on to them for a while). My reasoning for the intense popularity for this (15 watchers after 3 days, then someone bought it with Buy It Now for an extra $75 over bidding price), is that they're a new army and not many people have them.

So if it's US$540, I wouldn't expect any more than US$250, I'm sorry to say, particularly with an unpopular army like Orks. The good news is yours are unpainted, so people will see them as a clean slate kind of thing.

So why do people by bataliion boxes to save $50, but won't save $100-$200 on ebay? Firstly, people like doing things their own way, or at least under their supervision, so everything works, and they want to see every little thing that could effect their decision, so prices are just plain lower on ebay. Sucks I know, but there you are. I comfort myself by saying: I rented that army for half price for a descent amount of time.

Strategies for ebay; it's not that expensive to list stuff, say $5. My suggestion is to start at maybe US$350, with $375 for a Buy it Now price, and put up lots of pictures, particularly of the tanks and walkers (this is where the money is in your army). Give it a week, see what responses you get. If people aren't messaging you asking "so give me the details on X,Y, Z" then you know the price is too high. Watchers are another indication, but I've found most of the time it's the messages and emails that give you the best indication of future success. If it doesn't sell, go to $325 with a $350 Buy it Now price. The watchers will appreciate the price lowering and will see that it's cheaper, and will be more willing to buy it. But aim somewhere not to go below. Some watchers will see you lower the price, and hold off for one more listing just in case, but when they see it isn't lowered they'll probably make their decision.

Hope all that helps.
    Current Armies:
    Beasts of Chaos (4000)
    Chaos Marines (3000)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are watchers? And what should i do about the basilisk (which is kind of build sloppily) and dreadnought (missing an arm and a claw)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Honestly you'll probably never recover what you put out for your army on ebay, that's my experience. If your considering scrapping what you have to go in favor for something you want, i strongly suggest the trader forum here. This way you can at least start forward progress towards an army you want to play. Your not going to get complete value, but with some luck you'll find someone in your shoes, however with the army you want. Be prepared to trade in the other persons favor, as most gamers generally want to help the other guy out. I have a box of stuff i have never worked on, never completed that i frequently toss something in from just to give a guy another piece that may help his current army out.

If your considering scrapping orks, maybe even PM some ork players here and see if people are looking to acquire things from you.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been selling Orks on ebay for almost a year now and I can tell you honestly $540 is on the highside for a non uniform army. It may be better to break the army up into pieces the grots and the boyz will probably bring you the most money. if you want to sell in one shot place a lower price that you will accept like $300 and a buy it now price of $540. Watchers are people that are concidering buying your item so the more of them the better that means people are interested. I would not fix anything I would sell as-is but list everything that is wrong in the ad so if the person complains you can say read the ad and ebay will back you up if it is in the ad. Next get good pictures of at least 4 items or have link to good pictures of all the items people want to see what they are buying. In the title put "Warhammer 40K " this generates more hits than just Ork army. Offer to ship world wide just because orks are not that big in the US does not mean they are not big somewhere else. I send a lot of orks to Austrlia, France, Italy and Germany. Finally put on the ad the auction must be paid for within 7 days of the end of the auction or you will relist and leave negative feedback. This keeps the flakes and losers that are not going to pay from bidding on the army. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think i could sell it for 540 buy now, 300 minimum bidding price? I guess i could keep the dreadnought and basilisk how they are, but they are the more expensive things in my army. If i sold everything seperately chances are the boys will all be bought, and everything else wont. Thanks for the help, any other strategies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay is terrific for buying, but ****e for selling in my experience. Especially WH40k orks: Because there are so many of them, in so many different editions, the prices have been driven right down. Plus orks are often used as a moneysaving army in the first place, because of their conversions.

Looking at the force you showed, I think I would bid about £100 max (about $200) Then again, I am very picky about my ebay auctions... I try my best to pay what I think is fair, not what GW does. Try thinking of it this way: GW sells each ork boy for about $2. If you came across a plastic soldier, would you want to pay 50c each for them? Or what about $1 each for even smaller, albeit metal, grots?
    ROIGHT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well say if no one bids, or it doesnt reach a certain level, what happens?

Also, I think that 40k orks could sell well on Ebay because 99% of it are crappy, old, poorly painted 1 or 2 edition 'space orks' and 'gretchin'. Very terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay is like gambling you may not get any bids but remember you only need one person to buy and if no one bids you can always relist it. The way to make sure you get a level you want is to set a reserve price this way the army is not concidered sold until it reaches that price or goes higher but if you do put the reserve price in your ad. I like most bidders hate to see reserve price on there and will not bid unless the reserve price is in the ad. Another thing to concider is the timing right now is a good time for buyers because most armies are selling real cheap. The best time to sell is in June when school lets out and before christmas so you may want to hold the army until the first week of June kids get their graduation money and want to buy a army. Also check out the ebay tutorals on selling that may help clear up some questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast