Beil Tan Sword Wind Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beil Tan Sword Wind Army

Hi Guys,

Its been a long time since i was here last time, how is every one feeling today?
    I joined the forum a while ago looking for advice on what to collect for an ulthwee army, since then it has evolved into a horde army of around 120 models.

I have some units left over that i do not want to waste so i am looking for advice on creating a possible 2000pnt Biel Ta Sword Wind Army, at the minute all i have to start my force with are 10 Wraithguard and what with having an xbox 360 the army will be increasing slowly at best due to all those nice, lush new games coming out and good old Billy Gates getting Res Evil 5 on the box.

Because i already have an Ulthwee horde army and because most of my friends field Space Marines (cos they are affraid of loosing mainly) of the Salamander chapter (even though Legion Of The Damned and the Minotaurs chapter rock) i am giving this army a nice long ranged shooty theme to it rather than close assault or horde theme.

What i came up with for 2000pnts was this list:

HQ: 80pnts

1 Avatar Of Khaine

Core: 1417pnts

4 Dark Reapers
    1 Dark Reaper Exarch with Fast Shot

4 Dark Reapers

4 Dark Reapers

9 Fire Dragons
    1 Fire Dragon Exarch with Fire Pike and Tank Hunter
    1 Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannon Upgrades, Star Engines, Spirit Stone, Vectored Engine

9 Fire Dragons
    1 Fire Dragon Exarch with Fire Pike and Tank Hunter
    1 Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannon Upgrades, Star Engines, Spirit Stone, Vectored Engine

Elite: 260pnts

2 Vyper Jetbikes with Star Cannons
    2 Vyper Jetbikes with Star Cannons

Heavy: 240pnts

1 Wraith Lord with Bright Lance
    1 Wraith Lord with Bright Lance

All together this army comes to around 1997pnts.

Now there are two, maybe three, obvious weaknesses of my army. The most apparent being my lack of assault troops to take the fight to the enemy which means that i had better pray for a good first few opening rounds of shooting. The second weakness that i can see that is apparent is that most of my core units are static units which could leave my army open and vulnerable, especially to counter assaults, pinning, blast weapons and rapid fire weapons. The last weakness that i think could be exploited is the scarcity of fast attack units, i am not sure that fielding only two units of two Vypers cut it.

From what i can see of the list it does have some strenghts but i am not sure that these counter the weaknesses (even though it is designed to obliterate space marines) and those strengths are mainly seen in the attack properties of the force.

Most of its weapons have very high AP and strenght values, the Reaper Launcher probably being the weakest of the weapon systems. The Dark Reapers should have superior range on their weapons when compared to space marine bolters, their armour is also sufficient enough to ensure that they get a save from all but the deadliest weapons. The Vypers and Wraith Lords atleast have a chance of destroying medium to heavy artillery but would have an uphill struggle if confronted with a devestator or assault squad. The Fire Dragons have been included exclusively for their melta weapons and their high manouverability when transported around the battle field in wave serpents, their role will be more of a support role like the Wraith Lords who's skill will be employed when the Vypers and Dark Reapers have done their job.

I think that i will have a great deal of work cut out for me though when fighting battles against Space Marines and especially Tau which i loath (thank god they only have a BS of 3 or so), but i think if it came down to a straight out fire fight i would probably be fighting down to the last man.

This list at the minute is only a concept list and is subject to change and i can probably hear some of you guys with more experience screaming at me to drop a squad of Dark Reapers in exchange for Striking Scorpions or Warp Spiders.

Any help you guys can give me with the list will be greatly appreciated so until i am online again, see you later.

Eldrad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Really Eldrad, if you want a shooty Biel-tan army you should use these units:
    Warp Spiders
    Fire Dragons
    Dire Avengers

IMO, those are the best for making it shooty. Dark Reapers are a very fragile core, it will get ugly I'm afraid. With a lot of squads mounted in Wave Serpents however, you can control the battle more and zoom up wherever needed. Dire Avengers in a Serpent can take care of light infantry, Fire Dragons can take care of heavy infantry and Warp Spiders can take care of both. Some bright lances on the Serpents and voilá, really shooty and really quick. I'm sure it will prove infinitly more fun to play than this list.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a regular beil-tann is it not i thought swordwind was a mounted force ?
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Plague_00
    this is a regular beil-tann is it not i thought swordwind was a mounted force ?
    "Swordwind" is just a popular nickname to the Biel-tan army. Mounted Biel-tan forces are called "Mechanized Biel-tan/Swordwind"
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Where are your falcons? No biel tan list is quite complete without at least 1. I also agree with viktor in regards to your Dark reaper core; dark reapers are very good on paper, but will wither under an experienced opponents fire. Really making a shooty biel tan army is uncommon as biel tan is a mix of cc oriented and ranged troops (usually a balance of 1 squad of banshees with a serpent 1 squad of scorpions with stealth and powerfist and either some warp spiders or dark reapers) For heavy support choices I would like to recommend a wraithlord with brightlance(for shock and armor and to hopefully draw heavier fire away from your troops and walkers), 3 warwalkers with starcannons(18 shots S6 AP2 shots a turn, try to open them up to only 1 target at a time to prolong their life) and a falcon with a starcannon holofield and spirit stones(this guy will not die and he shoots 4-6 MEQ mushing shots a turn). This will give whatever your core troop choices are a very offensively strong backbone to rely on. Also 44 models for 2000 pts is somewhat low (another problem with having reapers for your core troop choices) you might want to drop a reaper squad (at least if not 2) and add in either a defender guardian squad or a storm squad for an elite choice, I'd personally recommend the defender to keep going with your shooting army idea and 20x guardians + warlock w/ conceal and singing spear and a starcannon antigrav platform clocks in at only 259 pts as opposed to your 220ish pt dark reaper groups. For pure wound soaking and firepower dishing out purposes, which would you rather have? 5 bodies or 23?
    Last edited by Amishcellphone; February 21st, 2006 at 06:56.

+ Reply to Thread