Psychic Help for a Prospective Ulthwe Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Psychic Help for a Prospective Ulthwe Player

Hey Eldar Folks,

I've never played the Eldar before, but I'm thinking of starting up an Ulthwe Army. I downloaded the standard codex and craftworld codex to take a quick look at the units before I go out and buy 2 books (codex and craftworld) and possibly eye of terror as well. However, I still don't know what the eldar psychic powers are/do, as they weren't included in the light version I downloaded. Can someone tell me what they are (generally, no need for exact explanation) and which ones they think are good/which ones they use or would recomend using? Normally I wouldnt do this, but since Ulthwe is a psychic-heavy list, I thought it necessary to know. Thanks for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Not really, it's a violation of the forum rules.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Oh, sorry about that. Hmm, OK, well can anyone give me any advice on if the powers are any good? Or tell me anything about them without violating rules? I'd really just like to know a bit about the powers before I buy a psycher-based army, and I couldn't find any comprehensive threads about psychic powers for eldar (which is strange). Perhaps someone could direct me to one of these threads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't want to double-post

-
    Last edited by Roulex; February 21st, 2006 at 04:45. Reason: Don't want to double-post
    5th? Cool. WotLK? Also cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I just found this posted on this very site. It's from a guide by Heiromyo found here:

Farseer Powers:

Fortune
    Allows a unit to re-roll any armour save, the chances of someone failing two 50% chance saves are quite low. A seer council tends to have at least one of these in order to keep itself alive. Keep note that this does not have to be cast on the seer council. This power is very good at keep other units alive. Such example would be Striking scorpians, Howling Banshees and the Spear of Khaine. Since this is not cast during the shooting phase it can be cast when the squad is in close combat.

Guide
    Guide is a good choice if you wish to play defensively as it allows other squads of re-roll failed to hits. Combine this to a unit such as Dark Reapers to get rid of all those annoying 1's and 2's and it increases the damage dealt to an opponent.

Eldritch Storm
    An expensive power but can effect a large area. the plus on this power is that it can cause pinning, although it has a low strength. This power works well against swarm armies such as tyranids but if multiple Eldritch Storms are used even heavy infantry models will suffer casulties. The greatest plus is that this power does not require line of sight.

Mind War
    A cheap and relatively useful power that allows you to target any model within range and line of sight. This also includes characters regardless of whether they are independent and possibly killing them in one turn. The downside is that this power rarely does kill a character but it's extremely useful for knocking out special weapons or squad leaders.

Warlock Powers

Enhance
    Boosts the squads Weapon skill and Iniative. On a Seer Council this means that most the time the squad will be hitting first in combat and on 3+. Very useful on Storm Gaudians despite their low toughness and strength. this often gives the squad enough of an advantage to win a combat.

Augment
    A power unique to the Ulthwe Craftworld. It allows a farseer to double the range on a psychic power. Useful when in combination with Eldritch Storm and Mindwar as it makes them fearful towards your opponents long range heavy weapon squads. Equally useful when casting Guide or Fortune. Often gives that extra distance needed in order to target what you want late in the game.

Destructor
    A heavy flamer equivalent, it gives the squad better firepower than what their pistols can do, and can hit many more troops. Careful with this if you intend to assualt the unit you are shooting as it may leave the squad in the open should it kill too many.

Embolden
    Allows the unit to re-roll any failed pinning or leadership tests, rarely useful considering the squad boosts a leadership of 10 but for only 10pts it's a handy power to have in those rare situations in single battles. In tornaments it's more useful to prepare to fight against a wide variety of armies.

Conceal
    Confers a cover save against shooting, unless against Daemon Hunters are involved this isn't very useful on a Seer Council. Extremely useful on defender gaurdians as their armour is neglected by almost every weapon in the game. Can be as useful on Storm Gaurdians if they arn't placed inside the wraithgate.
    5th? Cool. WotLK? Also cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

If you pm me your email address I will be more than happy to email you the missing pages in a pdf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Explaining what powers generally do is not against forum rules. The things against rules are posting points costs, specific stats and if a mod feels your deliberately scamming games-workshop. It's still perfectely ok to post that:

Guide
    Helps a lot with your shooting but is a bit expensive.

Mind War
    Powerful attack that has about a 50/50 chance of frying someone important to your opponent.

Fortune
    Makes 1 of your units more resilient for a good price

Eldritch Storm
    A massive point sink that is better at spinning vehicles around than actually killing things.

I think this is the kind of thing that he was looking for.

I'm surprised that Roulex got away with all that though...
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Thanks everyone, the postings are much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Well, all I can do is refer to General Forum rule number 4:
    "Posting material with copyright without permission from the author is strictly prohibited. Posts containing such material will be deleted without notice.

This especially concerns; asking for / posting / or offering scans of information printed in any Games Workshop publications. This includes White Dwarf, Army Codex, Rule Books or similar."
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude whatever worse case senario the thread gets closed

okay to buisness in a ulthwe' army u need warlocks on all guardian squads enhance for storm (ws 5 is greatnoone expects that unit to come up and hit marines on a 3+) and conceal for defenders (guarenteed 5+ save is sooo worth it)

as for seer council u need only 2 powers fortune and mindwar as both the other powers cost waayy too much (some people swear by guide but in my oppinion they are sniffing stuff) fortune the seer council is a must and a good tac is also take enough fortune to give a couple defender squads the re-roll (combined with conceal they'll be nighunstoppable)

mindwar is good combined with the warlock power augment as it's range increases to 36" but in the end it should only be used as a pointfiller cus although sniping heavy weps is useful it hardlywill win u the game.

also runes of witnessing are a must for all farseers and any augment warlocks.
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast