Need Help With Tyranid Army Strategy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey im just startin to build an army of tyranids and my friends have space marines and chaos space marines what should i have in my army????????????///

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from the obvious call of using lots of Genestealers and Hormagants, I recommend Biovores (with Acid Mines) and Zoanthropes (with Warp Blast).

Don't bother with much in the way of shootiness. Even Venom Cannons aren't good enough to punch their armor . Go Rending Claws and Talons and such. Get in there and mixed it up in CC!
    <span style='color:orange'>And the lands shall burn from horizon to horizon.
    Just as the sun cannot be prevented from rising,
    Neither can the inevitable be halted or avoided.
    Hive Fleet Infernus shall scorch all worlds in its path.
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venom cannons are the only decent ranged weapon the Tyranids have got and while advancing towards the space marines isn&#39;t it better to try and shoot the Vindicator (all space marines include then, well the ones i have played) before you get into the 24 inch ord* of death blast zone

*mean&#39;t to say Ordinace but I wasn&#39;t sure how it was spelt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VC is basically an Anti Tank weapon. High Strength many shots glancing hits. Designed to beat up lightly armored troop transports a lot. But dont even try it on space marines unless you have no better targets. Otherwise youll wind up with a bunch of 3+ saves in your face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think warp blast on an Hive Tyrant is the best antitank weapon IMHO. Str 10 and it can penetrate.

I play marines as well and they crap their pants when I deepstrike a couple of Hive Tyrants in their midst. One of those bad boys can take out an entire squad. If you&#39;re using the old assault rules, they can allocate their attacks against SPECIFIC MODELS. That means that you can pick out the power weapons and power fists before they have a chance to hurt you.

I&#39;ve beaten the Space Wolves (the best CC marines around IMHO) 3 out of 4 times.

Watch out for whirlwinds on your guants. Two whirlwinds will devestate your broods. Therefore I use cheap (6pt) syth guants and plenty of them. I make him shoot at that brood of 20+ (with some rending claw mutations&#33 or he will pay the piper.

I also use leaping rippers to tie up his units. They don&#39;t hit very often (but give them rending claws and watch marines and vehicles die&#33 but they live a long time and keep his units from shooting.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by tumtatty@Dec 11 2003, 17:19
    I think warp blast on an Hive Tyrant is the best antitank weapon IMHO. Str 10 and it can penetrate.
    Well yes, but remember your ranges. I am not a fan of wings on my HT because it makes them too pricey. As is, my HT (see link below) is 169 pts. Give him Warp Blast and hes almost 190. Add 40 pts to that and I am looking at 230 points a model, and I can&#39;t use him with guards.

Now, a HT with a VC can do S 8 Glancing hits at an effective range of 42". The S10 Warp Blast requires a Psychic Test as well as a to hit roll and only has a range of 24" (after move). Not only that, but you get one shot as opposed to 3.

Now, shooting vs a target with lets sat even 12 armor -

In your scenario, you would need to be within 24", make a LD test, then roll to hit (BS 4 not too hard) then get one d6 roll to beat a 3 and bam you get a Penetrating hit. Roll a 2 and its the same as a VC.

Now, compare that to a VC - I get 3 shots at range of 42". I need a 4+ on 3 dice. If I get 2 glancing hits a round, that will do you better than one penetrating hit. Vs lower armored vehicles that move fast, especially skimmers, the extra range and shots really make a diffirence.

So while I agree that the WarpBlast is a better overall weapon, the extra range and shots make the VC shine as antitank. For antipersonell with armorsaves I would still use WB as the S5 AP3 version unless I really really needed an insta on a multi wound T<5 person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That&#39;s good info on the VC. THanks.

I use an HT w/ wings all the time (2 actually) they are 204 pts apiece with warp blast, wings, sceam and the BS and Str upgrades.

I haven&#39;t had one die yet. (i&#39;ve played less than 10 battles though). Using deepstrike I can put them behind cover or behind a vehicle. I enjoy the almost sure destruction issued by the WB. The template weapon is nice against marines as well.

I have failed the leadership test 2X though.

Next time I&#39;ll try one with a VC and see what happens.

I&#39;ve played, orks, Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Eldar and my HT&#39;s have cleaned house every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Morpheus01@Dec 12 2003, 08:12
    Well yes, but remember your ranges. I am not a fan of wings on my HT because it makes them too pricey. As is, my HT (see link below) is 169 pts. Give him Warp Blast and hes almost 190. Add 40 pts to that and I am looking at 230 points a model, and I can&#39;t use him with guards.
    ranges, smanges, wings and warpblast kickass, no guards? who cares, unless your stupid enough to let him be out in the open, and expose him to 4 or 5 lascannons,

12" + 24" = 36" (weak) use this on the first turn)
    12" + 18" = 30" (and this on the second)

FIRST TURN= 12" deployment + 12in move + 24in shot = 48in range
    SECOND TURN= 12in move (this puts you 36" away from your board edge) + 18in shot, anything within 54in of your table edge, and next turn you are going to be in combat with something (if not this turn)....

a VC isn&#39;t a good idea to take if you want good range, sorry, cause Tyranids are always moving up, if you are moving straight forward 12in every turn like a good little tyranid player, that range is going to be useless in 2 turns, ALSO, It takes up a weapon slot, i&#39;d rather have scything talons for CC beastlyness, ALSO, if i might recall, the VC is more expensive, at 40 points or so, eh???????

for 175 i think, for mine, no way he&#39;s gonna be near 230, what is it, uhh 90 for maxed out stats (front of codex) 25 warpblast, 40 wings, scything talons x 2 = 16, ok that&#39;s only 170 or so, eh? come on dude, its near impossible to get a tyrant up to 230......

wings too pricey?????? *****? trade in your VC for wings, you&#39;ll like it more........ GET HIM INTO CLOSE COMBAT and pop a tank on the way, thats my strategy,

the chaos guy&#39;s gonna have daemon prince, insta-killa it, teach him a lesson,

oh, by the way, give your tyrant and mabye a couple-a warriors implant attack and his greater demons will go down the crapper pretty quick, bloodthirster? bye bye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by tumtatty@Dec 12 2003, 11:47

I use an HT w/ wings all the time (2 actually) they are 204 pts apiece with warp blast, wings, sceam and the BS and Str upgrades.

I have failed the leadership test 2X though.

Next time I&#39;ll try one with a VC and see what happens.

I&#39;ve played, orks, Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Eldar and my HT&#39;s have cleaned house every time.
    how the hell are they 204 points apiece, mabye im retarded, or is the base cost 74 for a bio-morph tyrant? and maxed stats = 90, for "front of the codex" tyrant.... wings and warp equal 65 points + 90 = 155, scream is uhh 10? right? 165, and the str and bs are like 4 or 3 points apiece, thats barley 175, what else did you get?
    im not using a codex, thats all from memory, correct me if im wrong, but i really dont see how you guys are geting 230 point tyrants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my tyrant is the "decked out" one with most of the upgrades but no movement upgrades. He has Scything Talons and a Venom Cannon. He weighs in at 169 pts (link for full info in my sig).

Now, remove the VC and add Warp Blast and wings - that puts my HT up to 189 pts. Now we need to add another set of scything talons and I am pushing 200. Add Psychic scream (15 pts) and I am up to almost 220.

Remember if you want to modify your HT&#39;s stats beyond basic book you need to use the modified one in back. You cant mix and match.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast