bloody monoliths! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bloody monoliths!

I was wondering if there was anything in a nid list that could take down a monoliths with there living metal rule

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Um...that's a good question. Where am i??
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are numerous threads that talk about taking down the monolith, and on one of them it probably says how nids can do it. Just look around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mephiston the king
    I was wondering if there was anything in a nid list that could take down a monoliths with there living metal rule
    Easiest answer? Wipe out the necron troops with Genestealers and heavy fire support. Phase out the Necrons and the Monolith is much less of a threat. Otherwise... take a lot of Carnifexes with twin-linked Venom Cannons. This is the only time I'd suggest it, but you essentially want to glance the 'Lith every turn, and the Venom Cannon has the best chance (due to the unreliability of Warp Blast).

Non-serious answer? Steal some lascannons from the Imperial Guard... Genestealer Cults have to be good for something, right? (j/k)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

get up close with a carnifex with crushing claws and a mace tail with tusked biomorph. and charge.. odds are good you'll land some penetrating hits

I got lost on the road of life

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

As a necron player and a nid player I highly suggest you simply ignore the monolith. Since its living metal rule ignores both monsterous creature and rending rules, u have very little chance of taking it down, so don't try. Go for phase out by trageting his warriors and destroyers as its the simplist way to beat the crons. The only startegy I can offer though is to surround the portal on the lith with an expendable unit like spinegaunts to prevent units from teleporting out of combat.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

The standard response is to just ignore it and go for the phase out, but there are times you just need to kill the thing. And surprisingly, the Tyranids have just what they need in a relatively cheap shooting unit.

Zoanthropes with Warp Blast actually. Canifexes would be a distant second choice for me.

The Str 10 attack from Warp Blast is your best shot because it doesn't rely on getting into hth with it so you can kill the Monolith a lot earlier than the Carnifex might.

That its relatively cheap cost compared to a Carnifex, and they both (can) have the 2+ save which the Necrons hate dealing with.

A 3 Zoanthrope squad, all with Warp Blast will still cost less than a tooled up Carnifex, and they can always kill warriors if you decide to go for the phase out.

As a further plus, the Str 10 on warp blast means that you can double the toughness ofl both Immortals and Lords(without the Destroyer body) removing the WBB, if your opponent is crazy enough to not have the Ressurection Orb on the Lord.

If you don't feel like risking the test, or simply want to drop some bunched warriors(say after they use the Veil or whatever) the template version works fine.

Again, knowing this, the Necron player may concentrate his/her firepower on them in which case your're laughing as they are one of the few units in your army that can take the high firepower the Necrons dish out at least for a while by which time the rest of your army should be in hth.
    Last edited by Grey; February 26th, 2006 at 19:37.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Although Zoanthropes seem like the obvious choice against a Monolith, their short range and slow speed, short range, and terrible BS means they'll almost never make a difference (unless your opponant does something stupid like deep-striking his monolith right next to them). Against Living Metal, the only real advantage Warp Blasting Zoanthropes have over a Carnifex with a Venom Cannon is the fact that they can score penetrating hits... but glancing hits have a high chance of keeping a Monolith out of action, especially if it's a twin-linked hit (which has a much higher chance of hitting).

That said, I almost never bother wasting shots against a Monolith when that same venom cannon can drop two or three Necrons a turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

Well. I have to say that I disagree with a few of your points.

In point of fact 'stupidly' deep striking into the middle of your Tyranid horde is in fact how I often see Necron players play against Tyranids.

The Monlith doesn't fear rending and get the most use out of the flux arcs when there in the middle of multiple units.

The Carnifexes aren't any faster, their BS isn't any better(In fact it starts at less until you pay the points to upgrade it) and if you buy the BS upgrade, the two Venom Cannons and the 2+ save, the Carni will end up coming in at a minimum of 188 pts being in totallity less accurate than the less expensive 3 Zoanthrope Warp Blast squad.

While the Warp Blast is in fact much less in range than Venom Cannons, this isn't such a big deal if your entire army is advancing to enage anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Against Living Metal, the only real advantage Warp Blasting Zoanthropes have over a Carnifex with a Venom Cannon is the fact that they can score penetrating hits... but glancing hits have a high chance of keeping a Monolith out of action,
    Well..No. Actually if you read the other special rules for the Monolith, other than the lucky 6, most of the glancing hits do next to nothing. Its essentially immune to shaken,stunned, is not destroyed by immobilization like other skimmers, and its response to the 'weapons destroyed' always makes me want to scream.

Mind you, the Carnifex can always charge something, which is not something you want your Zoanthropes to do or get involved in.
    Last edited by Grey; February 27th, 2006 at 00:38.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    In point of fact 'stupidly' deep striking into the middle of your Tyranid horde is in fact how I often see Necron players play against Tyranids.
    Please note, I didn't say it was stupid to deep strike a monolith into the horde. I said it would be foolish to deep strike them into a brood of Zoanthropes, which as you've said have the best chance of success against them.

As for your other points, having dug out my Necron codex (it's one of the first print-run, and is missing a few rules), my only conclusion is that I really need a newer Necron codex. My apologies for spreading misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    Mind you, the Carnifex can always charge something, which is not something you want your Zoanthropes to do or get involved in.
    I've actually had decent success using a Zoanthrope as an "anchor" to hold an enemy squad in place and not shooting for a turn or so until I can get other troops in range. They're reasonably difficult to kill, so against low WS enemies they can tie up a squad for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

First problem is that it is all round AV14. Shooting with a BS 3 then needing a 4+ to glance means that only 1 in 4 shots will do anything. Of these about half will be stunned & shaken. Monolithes are NOT immune to stunned and shaken. It can still use its Power Matrix if stunned or shaken. So all up you will need to make about 8 strength 10 shots to do anything.

Next problem is that it a skimmer that can move a maximum 6'. All mobile skimmers count as moving more then 6' the previous turn for assaults. So you need a 6 to hit it then 6 to rend. The living metal rule ignores the extra d6 monstrous creatures get for armour penetration. This means you will need about 72 genestealer or 12 Carnifex attacks to glance of which about half will be stuns or shaken.

Is the "ignore it" option making sense yet?

P.S. a Tail mace only works if you have 4+ models in base contact.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast