How I Got My Ass Handed To Me - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last weekend me and a friend had a big game (well 2 but we both screwed up the first one so i'll ignore it)

he had his pretty codex daemon hunters and i had my trusty tau, 10 bloodletters of khorne and 8 slanesh daemonettes. we played the "theres a daemon inside the tau leader, tau defend him daemon hunters kill him" scenario with a newly built temple as the centerpiece for the table

needless to say it did not go well, this is what i learnt:
    • never EVER put fire warriors in a bunker, they meet fire and then don't get an armour save
    • don't have 3/4 of your army deep strike, they tend not to turn up and when they do they don't get to jump out of harms way
    • grey knights are crazy, storm bolter + nemesis force weapon has to be the nastiest combo ever
    • imperial guard with SM support is REALLY REALLY nasty, i could kill a whole squad of gaurd with one round of shooting but it just didn't matter
    • having your 120 point shas'o break on you is not only embaressing but highly annoying
    • the scourge psychic power is deeply, deeply unfair

any thoughts on how to do better next time?

less hate more kittens

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first off, any game where daemon hunters are fighting demons is going to be unfair for the demon army. DH just has way to many rules to help them. Even the sustained attack rule doesn't help that much.

The biggest peeve I have with the DH when I'm fighting Tau is their shrouding. There's no way to get around it, you have to use crisis suits and/or stealth suits. The stealth suits negate the shrouding and turn it back on the GK's, and crisis suits can knock out a good 2-3 GK's per turn of shooting.

Next time, take a few stealth suits and drop the ethereal. If you don't have any psykers in your army, he can't use all those special rules against you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember reading in the Daemonhunter Q&A that anything that would effect sight in nightfight would affect the shrouding as well. If it's bothering you that bad you could put blacksuns on Broadsides and Hammerheads. The shrouding average sight roll is 31.5(42 with Blacksun Filters) so it's not too bad for you, except with Broadsides and Hammerheads.

I could see why scourge can be awesome though, up to six shots...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't have a problem with the shrouding, my stealths were my best unit (as usual), they deep striked onto the roof of the bunker with my etheral in and then laid into the grey knights

and i didn't want to take an etheral but it would have been unfluffy to have my shas'o as the daemon host

when my etheral died (frickin flamers) the grandmaster took him out with one turn of shooting as scourge ignores invulnerable saves and the greater daemon doesn't have a standard save

my daemons did HORRIBLE things to the guard though :ph34r:
    less hate more kittens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blacksun works on shrouding!!!?? Oh good lord, why didn't anyone tell me sooner!!

Where' might I find this Q&A?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the subject of it being unfair on Daemons when the DH fight them, is in my mind a bit obvious. They're specific Daemon-killers, made with the gene-seed of the Emperor himself!

I didn't think blacksun filters would work on the shrouding, I believed it to be a kind of 'psychic' thing, could be wrong tho.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its in the demonhunters FAQ, on the GW website.

It says that anything that works with nightfighting works against that stuff, and uses the example of the Space Wolves Keen Senses ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Either don't use any Adversaries, or only use Khornate ones, as GK ignore their 5+ inv but not the 3+ armour with their funky weapons .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, they only used that rule as a specific. It didnt say exactly what could be used against the Shrouding yet
    You know what they say, if you dont like the weather in houston...go back to where you came from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Gutzdreg@Dec 15 2003, 00:38
    its in the demonhunters FAQ, on the GW website.

It says that anything that works with nightfighting works against that stuff, and uses the example of the Space Wolves Keen Senses ability.
    as what the other guy said, it only references the specific space wolves ability....

But first thing, I guess you had an etherel....probably not the best idea cause sooner or later he is going to get killed (and i bet the daemonhunter player knew that that would be good for him). Ive heard of people using the etheral as the daemonvessel, which sort of makes sense, but the morale checks you would have to make would seriously hurt your army.... I would say abuse the smart missile system from behind cover...get your stealth teams and xv8s in, but have them use cover with their jetpacks....avoid any form of cc, be prepard for an enemy unit to deep strike anywhere, especially if you are fighing a weakend troop unit (the justicar might have a teleport homer). Use pathfinders, with seeker missiles and rail rifles, to take out troop units that would have psycannons. Mainly use cover, as you said dont use the bunkers cause of flame throwers. Realize that any unit that engages in cc cannot win and do not plan for their survival. If you have O&#39;Shovah, have him rush any terminators he might have, and pray that he might be able to get a few good shots off. If you have Aun&#39;shi, only field him if you know you can keep him alive through the game. He would provide one of your few chances for a FW team to win in cc against normal GKs (probably only a squad of about 2 or 3 though). Do not use any pulse carbines. Your only real chance at winning would be in trying to use the mission type to win (try to hold table quarters, get to the obj., etc.).

Closed Thread