Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey Everyone, my cousin and I both collect 40k i with space marines and him tau. Every time we play a game no matter what I do he thrashes me. He even lets me pick table edge and scenario but i cant even come close to beating him. I know most tau players wont want to but plz help.
Only the weak tell tales of how strong they are...
I collect Tau and when ever I play my mate with Marines I kill him.
Well can you tell me how to beat them coz I realy need help.
Only the weak tell tales of how strong they are...
Some advice from a fellow Marine player, learned through experience.Originally Posted by Captain_Mito
1) Don't try to outshoot them. It ain't gonna happen. We're better shots, but they've got both range and power on us.
2) Vehicles = risky at best. Even if you're facing one of the roughly 3 or so Tau armies that don't include at least one Broadside or Hammerhead, they still carry some decent tankbuster weaponry. Not saying that Tanks can't be used, just remember that those railguns will blow holes through even a Land Raider on a 4+. Don't rely on armour, and be very cautious about using what armour you do take.
3) Don't chase them unless you can catch them. Those jetpacks and their jump-shoot-jump tactics are usually enough to keep their nasty stuff safely hidden from your troops. Assault Marines and Bikes can often run them down, but remember that most Battlesuits only get more dangerous as you get closer.
4) Crisis..... meet Krak Missile. These little beauties are sufficient to both crack through their armour and kill them outright (barring any sort of special equipment and whatnot - I really don't know much about the Tau codex.) Needless to say, Meltas, Lascannons and the like qualify here, too. They're also quite useful against Broadsides.
5) Assault. Assault is good. Assault is your friend. Get the picture? If you can get any decent number of marines with a power weapon/fist into combat, very few Tau units will even get a chance to fight back. Fire Warriors don't have a hope. If your cousin knows what he's doing, he'll space his units out enough that you can't plow on into a second squad once you shred the first. If he doesn't, you can potentially just rip apart unit after unit. :w00t:
Look out for Kroot though - they're tougher than you think.
**CRITICAL!!** NEVER advance out of combat into the open unless your turn is coming up! Any squads that end up in open terrain inside Tau lines during their turn will probably get atomized. Tau are almost as nasty as the Guard at point blank shooting. (lasguns or not, nothing hurts as badly as a few Guard platoons rapid firing) :wacko:
If you need help we really need to know how the respective lists are constructed, its very hard to offer advice against an army when we have no idea of the makeup of the list in question. For instance is the Tau list Mech or hybrid? because it really makes a difference to the advice we can offer.Originally Posted by Captain_Mito
Whats the make up of your list, is it assault based, shooty, drop pods, termies is it Black templars or Ultra Marines for instance because the advice will differ dramatically depending on the chapter, BT are a fast assualt army and Ultras vanilla Marines!
Post the lists and then we can help.
You may get some wins after the new Tau codex comes out as rules and tactics will change slightly and also as previosly said CC it is not the Tau strong point so you can really clean up if you can get into CC. Assault or regular terminators guided by a teleport homer always make trouble for me.
Last edited by Lt. Bone Saw; February 27th, 2006 at 18:37.
One word: Assault. Assault. Assault.
Getting there however is the hard part.
There once was a Lord named Vlad,
Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
He killed and he maimed,
He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
(special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)
******* Daemonhunters man deep strike! It really works, i play saemonhunters and i used to play tau, so i should know. Go into cover, or hide behind buldings till your crusader is with in around12, shoot disembark, shoot, charge! You are allowd in crusader to do that.
I kill Tau with heavy bolter and glee.
Land Speeder Tornado's. 7 Shots that wound on a 2 or 3, and all AP. Just watch out, because our basic rifles can Penetrate the armor.
Assault Squad led by a Chaplain. It's assaulty, need I say more? Deep Strike if able :yes:
Terminators with Assault Cannons. We don't have much to beat that 2+ (Railgun, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster). Shoot those Assault Cannons then charge into assault and mop up.
Any assault in general. Because you have better WS, S, T, I, and Armor....
Devastators with Missile Launchers or Heavy Bolters, but not both. Get 8 of them. Since you won't (or shouldn't, I should say) have tanks, these are a great Heavy Support option against Tau. Krak Missiles take down suits and tanks, Heavy Bolters take down troops. Or concentrate those Heavy Bolters and take down suits. Just don't mix them, because it cuts down on effectiveness.
The one good Marine *Dark Angels* player I have faced beats me *a lot*. Although his army is more tuned to fighting Tau, and I have one list to fight everything.:sleep:
Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.
Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!