Thinking of starting Eldar. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting Eldar.

Me and my girlfriend currently have sisters of battle and chaos space marine armies.
    She wants an eldar army.
    I haven't bought the codex yet, and no one in the local gamestore plays eldar, and i dont know what this army is like.

So it's a very general question: What type of play is eldar? Am I shooting or assaulting? Are the models pt value hgih or low? Are the weapons good? Is the armor lame?

I get the sense that eldars use alot of vehicles and are a very mobile force, which would be a nice change up from my cumbersome csm or my footslogging sob.

Second question: Of course I would be buying a codex and planning out my army, but what would a 1500-1700 pt force that would cover all my bases look like?

Shabooboo Banoon and the Harry Snowcone Think Tank - Live from Adam's Basement. 6/15/03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

All of the above. Eldar are whatever you want to make them. Depends on which craftworld you want to play, if any (just go with vanilla)

Want a mobile force? Go with Saim-Hann for unmatched movement.

Want to Destroy things close up? Take Biel-tan and take CC aspects.

Want a cheap(point, not dollar) army? Guardians...Lots of guardians

Most, if not all of the above is an oversimplification of eldar. THere's alot more to them than what I listed. I'm sure some of the other vets will have more/better input.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Eldar are one of the most variable races in the game. You have the option to have basic troops with a 3+ save or a 5+ save. You can field an army that will rival just about anyone for melee, or go nearly entirely ranged.

However, what generally works best with the Eldar is cohesion. Your don't have the uber HQ of the chaos marines or the overwhelming number of shots of the SOBs. Instead you have a unit that can help another unit, or one unit meant for one thing, while another is meant for something else.

That leads to the next thing, Eldar are very specialized. Few Eldar units do everything well. A good eldar army list will include many different units and use each to their utmost for what they do.

That's the next hallmark of the Eldar. We're fast. Not quite as fast as the Dark Eldar, but we're fast enough. We have the ability to determine where and when most battles in a game will take place. Thus we have the ability to strike from a position of strength against a weakened enemy position. But it requires initative. You've got to be willing to take control of a fight and dictate to your opponent what he can and can not do.

The Eldar weaknesses however, are several. First we're expensive. Biel-Tan (my craft world) has troops choices that range from 16 points a fig to up to 35 points a fig. Our transports cost over 100 points a piece. Second we're fragile. 90% of the army is T3. Only a couple units have 3+ saves. Other than that, the fact that our vehicles are all BS 3, we can't assault out of transports, and people whine alot if you field too many (by their definition) wraithlords or star cannons.

Oh, and I don't know if you'd really count it a weakness or not, but half the units in our codex aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tell you what, 3 craftworlds stand out thus far.

Altoic: Very unlike my other 2 armies, shooty. Might be a nice change to not have to run at the other guys and hope I dont lose all my units. Or worse, my SoB standing 12" away shooting at people. However, I just absorbed my cousins tau when he left the state and left his models at my house. And my girlfriend would rather paint the other minitures in the range, so Altoic is out

Saim-hann: Sounds very cool. A mobile army I like it. I'll have to read more about it. I'd hope this army could help me with my over mechanised opponents?

Ulthwe: Elite version of the "vanilla" army, cool. Sounds like it could be more flexible than the other 2 craftworlds.

Which is what I need, flexibility. I fight tau, csm, sob, sm, iw, necs, and sometimes nids.

I have another question: Are the eldar vehicles flimsy? expensive (pts)?
    Shabooboo Banoon and the Harry Snowcone Think Tank - Live from Adam's Basement. 6/15/03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by melvinthehun
    I have another question: Are the eldar vehicles flimsy? expensive (pts)?
    Depends, here's a brief rundown of eldar vehicles:

Falcon - Standard one runs 190 points, and as anyone who's faced them will tell you, one of the hardest things to take down in the game. Between Glancing only and holo fields, these birds will fly for a long time.

WaveSerpent - Flimsy, requires skill and practice to use well. moderately expensive (140ish)

Vyper - Starcannon on wheels (well anti-grav but eh). think Dark eldar raider flimsy, almost (cheap tho, ~70 pts)

WarWalker - people don't really consider these when they think of eldar vehicles. Think vyper with less movment but more starcannon (~100 pts)
    Last edited by dymew; March 15th, 2006 at 06:26.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Read the stickied thread called "Eldar Tactica" and there should be all the info you need to start an army. On page three is a huge tactica about just that which I and some other members of this forum wrote.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. So I think I've decided I'm going to start with the vanilla and maybe expand into a saim-hann force. This is what I've decided to do first:

Farseer
    ((Box army)
    20 guardians
    3 jetbikes
    1 falcon
    1 viper (more?))
    #? Wralocks (How many?)
    16 Dire Avengers (I prefer these over the guardians in fact)
    2 wave serpents
    wraithlord (theyre so damn cool looking!)

Any and all input is encouraged, I'm actually wanting to get 1500 pts planned before I buy anything.

2 more vipers?
    5 warlocks?
    what elites choice? (striking scorps and fire drags have their strengths, even tho i think warp spiders look so much damn cooler
    dark reapers in the falcon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done more reading and pondering and this is what I've came up with:

Warp Spiders have jump packs! All the sudden they seem more worth it.
    I understand why guardians are more important now, but i still do want some dire's for the higher bs.
    I'll need both scorps and fire drags and i can switch them depending upon opponent.
    More guardians or vehicle types?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

To bad fot you, there are two ways to do Saim-hann. Fun and cool or über-cheese.
    Fun and cool would be lots of jetbike squads with wild riders and the like. Very cool. Über-cheese = lots and lots of Vypers with starcannons.
    In a 1500pts game you could easily fit 18 Vypers with Starcannons (= 54 shots that kill marines on 2+ and doeesn't even allow termie armour), 1 farseer on bike and 1 Falcon with the "standard" upgrades (ie. Starcannon, holo-field and stones).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As Camel points out, Saim Hann are not an army for the newb, you can go power gamer (18 vypers) but this is very fragile and unbalanced, I use mine soley for fun and novelty, it is one of the hardest armies to command I have, and if you play an opponent re3gularly you will after about 5 games, consistantly get your butt handed to you on a plate, also your starter list doesnt lend its self well to becoming a Saim Hann army, it is, however, probably a better place to start so lets look

Quote Originally Posted by melvinthehun
    Okay. So I think I've decided I'm going to start with the vanilla and maybe expand into a saim-hann force. This is what I've decided to do first:
    so dealing with codex eldar, fine, now the biggest trick to eldar is co-ordianting your forces, most eldar units do one thign exceptionalyl well but are completely naff at others.. so...

Farseer
    OK ignorign wargear, you only got 2 HQ choices, with wargear the two are comparable so why take one over the other, Farseers are generally taken so warlocks can be taken to bolster guardian squads, plus their powers can be usefull
    ((Box army)
    20 guardians
    These will be defenders, typically each defender squad will also have weapons platform (accepted wisdom is star cannons, stay away from bright lances, your BS is just too pants for single shot weapons) and a warlock with conceal, squad sizes are either small (6 or so) to give you cheap weapons platform or much larger (14-16) to give you point defence

3 jetbikes
    Absolute pants, someone told you some things in teh codex aint worth it - these are on the list, not the worse but dont bother, and I play Saim Hann so I got load of these!
    1 falcon
    fine but you should replace the scatter laser with a star cannon, you will need to buy this from direct sales, aquire it off a wave serpent model, or phone a friend
    1 viper (more?))
    Stay away from any upgrades iother than the weapon, you need to replace the shuriken catapult the model comes with with another star cannon, again stay away from Bright lances, more are good
    #? Wralocks (How many?)
    one per guardian squad plus some to act as a body guard for the farseer in all probability
    16 Dire Avengers (I prefer these over the guardians in fact)
    you maym, and the minis are nice, but 9 out of 10 cats dont, these guys give you very little you cant get from a guardian squad and have many holes (no weapons platforms, warlock or special weapons)
    2 wave serpents
    These are transports, what will they carry?
    wraithlord (theyre so damn cool looking!)
    good - this is where your bright lancegoes

2 more vipers?
    fine

what elites choice? (striking scorps and fire drags have their strengths, even tho i think warp spiders look so much damn cooler
    depends what you want your elites to do, asault, infiltrate, mechanised assault, close range fire suipport, very short ranged anti tank? my chief gripe with spiders is their inability to punch through saves but some people swear by them
    dark reapers in the falcon?
    NOOOOOO reapers stand and shoot, falcon is a support tank, so what if it can carry 6 boddies, it may be able to put on a tutu and dance swan lake, doesnt mean it shoudl do it on the battlefield, equally reapers can be very effective but they need to stand still and shoot

have a dig through the army list forum ,you ought to be able to pick up many army lists that are appropriate

Good luck
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast