Maxed Gaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maxed Gaunts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxed Gaunts

Am I the only one that is taking the new Hormagaunts with +1 Init, Weapon Skill, and strength? Its 14 points per model so swarm factor goes way down, but it makes them a freaking nasty threat in CC. It seemed the problem I had in the old codex was only my big stuff could kill, but doing my gaunts this way mens that anything not shot to death is a big problem. So now -ever- model on the table can kill. Or am I just stupid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you're not the only one, as I do it too. It works really well, as I just advance them behind cover and then assault, while my spineys and 2 monsters absorb fire. Tehy're my most expensive unit in my 1500 point army, with 20 of them being 280 points. I think they are well worth it, as it is satisfying to have some 'weak' gaunts carve up space marines and orks alike-hitting on 3's and wounding on 4's, as opposed to hitting on 4's and wounding on 5's, and striking first too. Genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would give them extended carapace too. A 5+ save is twice as good as a 6+ save and only costs 1 point more... the difference between 14 points and 15 points is negligiable. While a 5+ save might not make a difference against bolter fire, it does make a huge difference once you get into close combat.

Also you might consider giving your Hive Tyrant Catalyst... its a much cheaper alternative to paying for adrenal glands on all your hormagaunts just for the extra initiative. Especially if you use maximum sized broods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I've been experimenting with tooled out rippers swarms. For 20 points you get 3 wounds, leaping, spinefists, and +1 Str and +1 BS thats 7 points for a Spine Gaunt with leaping and +1 str.
    So far it's worked, I go with a squad of 5 thats 15 shooting attacks and 20 CC attacks at str4 shooting ap 5. Best of all there mindless so won't break on you or fail because of lack of synapse. While not as effective in HtH as your hormies there still good for half the point cost.

fear flamers though.

Carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Your working with gaunts that cost more than a SM but die like flies which is not a good thing, gaunts need to be a cheap as possible so any souped-up gaunts are IMO are disaster waiting to happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreachon
    Your working with gaunts that cost more than a SM but die like flies which is not a good thing, gaunts need to be a cheap as possible so any souped-up gaunts are IMO are disaster waiting to happen.
    I take Hormies with Toxin sacs and adren glands for +1 int +1 str, I take untis of 10, the thing with maxed out Hormies is they kill things to fast and this is not what you want with Hormies, you need them to get into CC kill some models and then stay in CC, why? well to block LOS for other enemy units, restrict movement and give your other more efficient units time to get into CC or give em that extra time to shoot.
    My units will tie up 3 units for a few turns and that breathing space is invaluable, as for the save, well smaller units tend not to be percieved as a threat coupled with the speed of Hormies they actually suffer a lot less than you would think even with a 6+/5+ I never take ext cara I dont need it, I use speed,cover (remember nids all have improved movement through cover) and additional threats/distraction to keep them safe, but if they are getting shot it means my FOC/Scuttle Stealers and other more expensive valuable units are not so its all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

If your board has cover, and you use it effectively, maxed hormies do well. If there is no cover or you make a single mistake during movement the entire group gets wiped out in one turn. Maybe take one maxed out squad and another vanilla squad just to cover all your bases.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCreampuff
    Maybe take one maxed out squad and another vanilla squad just to cover all your bases.
    I've been doing something similar to this with my 'stealers: one brood of 4+ saves, two others vanilla. It tends to work - shooters tend to shoot the hardened ones in preference to the others - if I don't separate the broods widely. I put it down to human nature.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthotep
    I've been doing something similar to this with my 'stealers: one brood of 4+ saves, two others vanilla. It tends to work - shooters tend to shoot the hardened ones in preference to the others - if I don't separate the broods widely. I put it down to human nature.
    I'd put it down to dumb opponents... With all other stats being equal, anyone who would shoot at a squad that will save 50% of the wounds as opposed to no save is, for lack of a better term, very stupid.

And why pay 14-15 points for an upgraded hormagaunt when you can get a base stealer for 16 points that's better in virtually every aspect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that gaunts die too easily to be worth pumping an extra 4 points per model into. The gaunts are there (in my army) for numbers, holding up the enemy and providing cover for my much more piont effective killing machines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast