Who says hellions suck? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Who says hellions suck?

Get this, my friends were playing... dark eldar vs. tau.

He deep strikes his 6 man hellion squad. Next turn, promptly gets rapid fired by a 12 man firewarrior squad. Out of 6, one remaines at the end of shooting. After passing all morale tests, the hellion keeps his cool.

Next turn he charges the firewarrior squad. He manages to kill one FW. their attacks back do nothing. Tau FAIL ld check, and start bailing, but they are too slow for the hellion, who hacks down the entire squad in a bloody sweeping advance! Needless to say his hellglaive needed a good cleaning afterwords

and they say hellions suck!

2000pts Orks 4-2-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Congratulations, but individual cases of good luck prove nothing

I've lost carnifices to bolt pistols...that doesn't mean bolt pistols don't generally suck against carnifices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

heh

I've lost whole RAIDERS to bolt pistols....

Wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

I lost my raider to a farseer's shuriken pistol. Thats pretty sad. Very bad movement phase that was, I forgot that farseer was even there.

My friend's tau are kung fu tau, they've beaten harlequins, chaos lords, space marines, catachans, etc, etc, but that doesn't nessecarily mean that that will happen every time or that tau are better than harlequins at combat. I don't think that hellions suck, as such, just in anything but 3000+ points, I can replace them with something that would be far more useful to me for the points. - Combat - Wyches, - Blaster - Reavers, - Fast scoring unit for quaters - reavers or scourges, etc, etc, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK it happened once. Convince me they are great by doing that every time. Hellions don't necessarily suck, there are just other units in the force org that can do the same thing cheaper.
    Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary. You know you probably won't like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think hellions would be okay, if Rapid Fire didn't deny them shooting and assaulting. Now that whole "you still get S4 glaives when you shoot and assault" clause in the codex update is wasted, as is 10 shots.

They're not THAT bad, but they're worse than most of the other choices.

As an aside, individual luck cases can "prove" silly things. For example, against Tyranids, my RJB's shooting caused something like 3 wounds to a carnifex (only rifles, no blasters/shredders), whereas my kitted Lord charged into close combat at died subsequently.

I've had Warp Beasts charge gun drones and get wiped out.

More recently, a Warrior squad was shot at and reduced to small numbers by a 9-man squad of Striking Scorpions with an Exarch and Farseer with Fortune and charged. I lost 1 (I think) warrior to mandiblasters, then simultaneously struck with my Sybarite and 2 or 3 more warriors. The sybarite killed 3 and my other warriors managed to get through a 3+, 3+ fortune failure. The simultaneous Scorpions and subsequent Scorpion's Claw falied to kill enough of my guys, they failed their LD 10 check, and then initiative, and got wiped out by a half-dead warrior squad. That doesn't prove much. It's a fluke. It is, however, what makes 40K fun.
    "'The will to live is stronger than anything.'
    'No, it's not. I am stronger than everything.'"

"The new Vespid offer another interesting choice for Tau players. Their Neutron Blasters seem to be designed to take down Space Marines" - Games Workshop Tau Empire Strategy Article
    ...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Split Crescent
    I think hellions would be okay, if Rapid Fire didn't deny them shooting and assaulting. Now that whole "you still get S4 glaives when you shoot and assault" clause in the codex update is wasted, as is 10 shots.
    That clause was removed with the codex update. If you still only have the first edition of the codex, you can download the update from GW's site:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkeldar/faq/

I've had Warp Beasts charge gun drones and get wiped out.
    I can do better. Well, my friend can, at least. He charged a Zoanthrope of mine with an Archon and failed to cause a single wound. This was back in the old Tyranid codex, when Warp Field didn't also provide a 6+ invulnerable save. What's worse is that he also took a wound from drugs. He later got swamped by Spinegaunts and killed.

A bunch of games later, I caused a 300+ point retinue to flee off the table after a round of shooting from my 80 point Spinegaunt brood.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've all had those flukes. I had a 10 strong Wych Squad with +1 attack for their drug roll assault a 5 man Tac Squad. The Raider fires the Disintegrator and misses. I then assault and roll all 30 some odd dice. The result was 28 ones (that's right 28 ) and the rest were 2s not a single die above that. This was over a year ago and they still talk about that one in my game store.
    Last edited by ollieb; April 1st, 2006 at 04:23.
    Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary. You know you probably won't like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Wow! 28 ones and 12 2's is pretty darn bad! I don't think I can beat that. (yes, 40 attacks if they charged)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

I charged a Space Wolf Lord with my Reaver Archon once, and took 3 combat drugs. 3 rolls of 1, the Archon explodes mid-air. Terrible...

Another: 10 man Warrior squad. Misses both Dark Lances, Splinter Rifles cause 4 wounds to the Great Unclean One, killing it.

Gotta love those moments... Or when you Railgun a Daemon Prince...
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast