tyrant and his gaurds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tyrant and his gaurds

i was playing against my buddy's nids in a 800pt game and for the first time he decided to use a tyrant and three guards, all with lash whips. His hive tyrant had duel wielding venom cannons. I guess that my strategy of just throwing my archon into assault with the tyrant is useless now because of all those lash whips I only get 2 attacks. 2! Needless to say my archon was wasted. So here’s the question, what’s the best way to get rid of those guards in an 800pt game? That’s 6 more wounds I have to plow through to get to the hive tyrant

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, a model in base contact with an enemy equiped with lashwhips reduces his attack profile by one. I believe that's the way it's worded.

Not:

A model in base contact with an enemy equiped with lashwhips reduces his attack profile by one for each model equiped with lashwhips.

What this means is that lashwhips do not stack. Even if you're in B2B with 3 lashwhip models, you still only get -1 attack.

Maybe someone with the latest nid dex could post the actual wording for discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Lash whips only work against models in base contact, so if your Archon is only in base contact with one Guard, you'll only lose one attack. On the charge you can have 6 attacks (3 base, +1 for 2 CCWs, +1 charge, +1 drugs) and can re-roll misses. You should on average be able to kill one Guard in the first round of combat. That still leaves two and the Tyrant, of course. . .

If his Tyrant is his only Synapse and he uses a large number of Gaunts, try to go for the kill right away. Pelt the thing with Dark Lances to shave away his Guard before attempting a charge. Don't charge until it either becomes necessary or the Tyrant is alone (and preferably wounded). If he uses some more Synapse or high Ld units, it becomes a bit more complicated and you might end up having to ignore the Tyrant for a while, as there might be other more immediate threats.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by misterheavy
    IIRC, a model in base contact with an enemy equiped with lashwhips reduces his attack profile by one. I believe that's the way it's worded.

Not:

A model in base contact with an enemy equiped with lashwhips reduces his attack profile by one for each model equiped with lashwhips.

What this means is that lashwhips do not stack. Even if you're in B2B with 3 lashwhip models, you still only get -1 attack.

Maybe someone with the latest nid dex could post the actual wording for discussion.
    There has been some discussion about this on the Tyranid forum. I do recall a list of Carnifex configurations on GW's site that had one Carnifex armed with two Lash Whips, too. . .
    Last edited by Ostsol; March 30th, 2006 at 23:01.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

In an 800 point game you should still be able to squeeze out a decent number of Dark Lances. They're the best way to get rid of the guard. Once the tyrant guard has been destroyed, the Hive Tyrant should be easy to take down in hth or with more lances.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone confirm what misterheavy said about lash whips not being able stack.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Every time I play nids I completely ignore the tyranid HQ, its not that dangerous if you stay away from CC with it. Besides, usually you have better things to aim your guns at then Hive tyrant and his shields. My opinion is dont waste your shots and have your troops pick other targets, a lictor or a carnifex for example or a couple warriors to take out synapse Ld command.

P.S Lash whips dont stack by the way
    Last edited by Caluin; April 1st, 2006 at 21:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen i play nids and played them for a long time.

Lash whips stack, but it only works for guys in base to base contact. So if his carnifex with 2 of them is not in base to base it doesnt work. Remember that, best way to take down a tyrant is to just concentrate tons of firepower on them.

and do not forget
    TYRANTS ARE VERY DANGEROUS!!!

A winged tyrant with scything talons and a few upgrades can take on anything in 40k, even tooled deamon princes go down to tyrants. This bastards are insane now, some upgrades allow him to cause 2 wounds for every one thats not saved or to reroll misses in close combat. Tyrants are very dangerous.

2nd
    You should ask your friend what he's doing with an illegal tyrant.
    Tyrant is only allowed 2 weapons, 1 normal venom cannon and lashwhips, or twin linked venom cannon and nothing else.

So remember if i have a hive tyrant with lashwhips and a carnifex with lashwhips against the same model in base 2 base, then it removes the attacks.
    If i remember correctly old tyrant guard had lash whips for this very reason.

And any nid player who takes lictors needs to have his head checked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoa. the tyrant is only limited to 1 venom cannon? well, i know for a fact that my buddy didnt do it on purpose. it was just a misinterpretation. but that definetly changes things. thanks Ozeor. and thanks for clearing up that lash whip rule

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Lash whips stack, but it only works for guys in base to base contact.
    Unless my codex is a mistranslation, they do not stack. It reads that "models in base contact with a model with lash whip lose an attack, to a minimum of one"

For it to stack it would have to be written the other way around, that "models with a lash whip substract one attack from enemy models in base contact, to a minimum of one".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast