4ap Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4ap Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4ap Marines

Hi guys
    I'm entering a tournament where 9 outa 10 armys will be marines. Is it even worth it to pay for EC on my Hormagaunts. With SM 5ap and all. Need expert advice. I think this should be debated by the best. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Warmaster; April 7th, 2006 at 02:04.
    3K Highest Elves
    2K RavenWing
    2K Saim-Hann Eldar
    3K Tau
    4K Pts Freaky Fast ORCS
    5K Hive Fleet Devourer
    2.5K Bretonnian Knights
    3K Tomb Kings

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Eh?

If your talking about marine Boltguns, someone is having you on as they are AP5. You can take a +4 EC save against marine shooting.

Is it worth it? Depends on the unit. On low costs models like gaunts (where your save would only be +5 with extended cara anyway), quantity is better than quantity. Invest the points in more models to soak up casualties from shooting.

On higher point models like Genestealers and Warriors? Definately.

Give them extended carapace for the +4 armour save from marine shooting, and you'll get a lot more resiliancy on already expensive models in that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It actually can be worthwhile to take Extended Carapace on Hormagaunts. While a 5+ save is damn useless vs. Bolter fire it still increases their survivability in close combat by about 25%. It's a dirt cheap upgrade... and hormagaunts get into CC so quickly... I personally see no reason not to give them all EC. Of course it all depends on how many power weapons your opponent is fielding
    Last edited by Khobai; April 7th, 2006 at 10:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definately take extended carapaces on Genestealers and Warriors though... it actually gives them a pretty decent save vs. bolter fire.
    Last edited by Khobai; April 7th, 2006 at 10:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

warriros and genestealers yes, gaunts no.
    Gaunts must be kept cheap so they do their job ( which is beeing roadblock ) the best, making them more expensieve means less models on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreachon
    warriros and genestealers yes, gaunts no.
    Gaunts must be kept cheap so they do their job ( which is beeing roadblock ) the best, making them more expensieve means less models on the field.
    Yeah, I agree. While extended carapace on gaunts might be cheap, when you add it up for all the gaunts it is on, you can get more gaunts for the cost. And while Hormagaunts might get into combat fast, they don't get in on the first turn (at least we never play on tables that let them)... they will get shot at. Which means attrition rather than quality is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different approach, but it works for me...

I never give any troops EC. I save the points and run numbers. Even at a 4+ for warriors and Genestealers, they protect you from bolters, but not much else. Ordinance and blast weapons will still wipe you out. Heavy bolters are a lost cause as well. I say, beef up your big guys who will draw the fire, and use the other points for more fleshy things to catch bullets.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

It's a tough call. For the more expensive troops like warriors and 'stealers, a small premium for a 50% save vs bolters (and rail rifles) seems to me, very worthwhile. The premium for 3 warriors to get the better save will buy about 1/4 of another warrior, which seems cheap, especially for synapse.

The premium for 'stealers is more finely balanced: +25%. 4 armoured 'stealers will buy 5 factory-standard ones. Looking at about 100pts of troops, six marines with bolters rapid-firing at 4 armoured stealers would kill about 2, leaving 2 stealers to get into assault. But against 5 normal stealers, the SMs would kill 4, leaving only 1 to get into assault. It looks worth it to me; your mileage may vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touche. Very good point Andrew, but that's what makes this game awesome. Your method may work for you, and mine works for me. Either way, in the end, if we've all fed on some tasty space marine morsels :yes:, then it was a very good day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Agreed, Ridegnu - it's great there's enough flexibility in the army design that we can optimise for doing what we do best. One day I want to run the "192 spinegaunts and a coke" list. :-)

I think my biggest problem with SMs is that you only get two drumsticks on each one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast