Noob Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob Questions

Hey guys, I've played Warhammer Fantasy for a while but I'm new to 40k and the Eldar... I've flipped through the rule book and the Eldar book and have a few questions...

first... The Exarch's can be given a warrior power and one of the powers is Stealth, which gives the unit the Exarch is with Infiltration... so would that work with any unit he is in? for instace a unit of Shining Spears on Jetbikes?

on another note... since the Wraith Lord doesn't have armor like normal tanks do but instead has wounds does it stay around in combat longer from what you all have seen? It seems to me like a normal tank could get pierced by one shot and then destroyed when you roll on the damage chart, where as the Wraith Lord could get hit and wounded but it would take 3 shots to take him out rather than the normal 1 for a tank...

and lastly... have you all had much luck with war walkers? I like the models and I think they'd look really cool with a Wraith Lord but it seems like the models are fairly weak... and I'll be playing against the Tau primarily so they'd probably get destroyed really fast...

thank ya'll for your input...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

each exarch is given hi/her own specific choices of options. #1 a scoprpion exarch gets the choice of stealth, #2 he has no option of mounting a jetbike, so NO he couldn't join the spears or jet bkies to give them infil.
    as far as the w.l. - depending on what army you play against will matter which would survive longer, w.l. or tank. falcons and wave serps seem to do better against swarms especially tyranid with thier rending claws. they tear through w.l.
    my experience with walkers has been bad. they seem to have 1 effective turn. round 1 if you go first it's nice with guide to shoot off 18 s.c. shots. but you will be shot down next turn.
    and if you don't go 1st there is usually not enough terrain to hide them completely, so that means bye-bye walkers or enough damage to make them close to useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, no exarch can separate from the unit they belong to. So no striking scorpions exarch could leave its squad even if there was another foot slogging squad like the dark reapers in the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well yes warwalkers are fragile, but extremely strong. having said that, you need to know how to use/deploy them. the trick is to line them up so only the unit they shoot at has LOS to them. then part 2 is to be able to deal enough damage so that enemy units cannot retaliate enough to take you down.

it's basically like playing vypers without CTM, and basically that wya you should be playing your eldar army as a whole. The army's units are fragile, but specialized, thus do quick hard attacks while negating incomming fire.

-Flo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Don't buy War Walkers, they are a bit much to handle for beginners and they might get new models this fall. They need to fit into your army as well.

Look under the 'character' title in each Aspect Warrior entry and it will say which powers their Exarch may take. Beware though, most of the powers are worthless nowadays. For a Scorpion Exarch, take Stealth. Crushing blow is only good if you want to use a Biting blade or his normal Close combat weapon, which you don't since the Scorpions claw is really good.

Wraithlords are pretty tough, yes, but Falcons are many times tougher. However, the Wraithlord is more reliable since you can be certain that it will not die from a single shot if it has two or more wounds left. Another great thing is that Wraithlords cannot be hurt by Strength 4 or less, which means that if it makes it into CC with a unit that does not have higher strength than that, or a hidden power fist or similar, they can't even hurt it!

Another advantage is that it cannot be stunned, shaken, immobilized or weapon destroyed. If you damage it you damage it, but if you fail to kill it you won't impair it in any way is would be the case with a tank.

Wraithlords are pretty slow though, and makes best defensive units. So in armies like Ulthwé and Alaitoc they are pretty good, while they cannot keep up with a Biel-tan or Saim-hann force.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

+ Reply to Thread