How to start a Necron army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Repetitive Post, sorry, please ignore!

My friend's birthday is coming and his mom wants to get him the starting units for a necron army. He says he wants to start 40K and wants Necrons. She is willing to spend between $200 and $300. Is the Battle Force box ($80) a good place to start? He already has the codex, but I can't ask what he wants because it is a surprise. Should she get a monolith too?

SORRY, this is a repetitive post. I will read the others on the subject. Again, I apologize...

Last edited by 4theEmperor!; April 11th, 2006 at 22:54. Reason: Repetitive post
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The battle box is all good I have one sitting in front of me now and it had Warriors, Scarabs, and Destroyers. So everythign that comes in it I use every battle, a sure winner in my book. As far as the Monolith there a two schools of thought about it most Necron players love or hate it, so I give even odds he wont even use it much and it seems like alot of cash to spend on the chance. Hmm but thinking about it the best time to get the high dollar items like a Monolithe would be your birthday so I suppose that would be a wash heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Well, since the FOC requires a HQ and the Battleforce lacks that, get him one of those, definitely. IMO, 2 Battleforces are an excellent start. He'd have 40 Warriors, 10 Scarabs, and 6 Destroyers. Add a Necron Lord in there, $10, and you're up to $170. Immortals would be next on my list, but $30 will only get him 3, not including any taxes(assuming only $200.00 is going to be spent). And don't forget, he'll need hobby supplies if he doesn't have any already. (Paints, brushes, glue, hobby knife, cutters, etc.)
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Battleforce + Lord + warrior boxset (and if you live outside the UK) a destroyer.

For a total of;

1 lord
    32 warrior
    8 scarab swarms
    4 destroyers

That with a splashing of wargear on your lord will net you a cool 1000 points and its a very solid core to base a 1500 point list on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 battleforces, a lord, and green stuff. Also any bits that can be scavaged.

Any spare money can be spent on warriors.

This gives you lots of warriors (which can be converted into various other things), enough scarabs to make a decent sized unit or two, 8 destroyers, and a Lord. Which is a respectable 1500 army.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

I agree with 2 battleforce boxes and a lord (or two even, maybe one foot and one DBody, still puts you in under 200 before taxes). Not only does it give you the most commonly fielded units, but enough of them to let you build a 1k point army and expand or trade your way up to 1500.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Thanks a BUNCH for all the help!!!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i started 2 months ago with 2 battle forces, a foot lord, and a Dlord. if you have time to order the stuff off the net you can get up tp 20% off.

at face value you could get all of the above for $200. If you save some money by ording on the net then add a monolith.

camper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I will also assume that only $200 will be spent. It will get, maybe not a solid force, but a nice one that can go any direction he wants.'

1 battle force- $80 ($64), order it through your local store and you may get discounts like me. About 20% off is what you can expect, but special members (if they have any)can normal get a bonus or some special 5% off deal.

2. Necron lord - $10 ($8~), you will get the 20% if you order it in a group.

3. glue- $5.50, this can vary. GW glue is about $5

4. Brushes- $25 ish, Make sure you get good brushes, and ones that fit his painting style. I personally paint all my model with the smallest brush I have. I have good lighting, great eye sight, and a steady hand... it works. Now if he wants to dry brush, make sure you get a bigger one. Now GW sells (I think) a really small brush (the ripper or something) it is an overpriced $12, but is perfect for all detailed work.

5. pennies-$0.20, to give those warriors some heft, glue a Pennie on the bottom.

6. D lord- $25 ($20), this will give him two choices for HQ, and a good amount of flexibility for any direction he wants to go.

7. clipper- $10??,hand held clippers that are great for getting models out of their spruces.

8. exacto knife and added re-fill blades, $20??, great for trimming up, but make sure he knows the proper ways of cutting. I have heard of some pretty nasty accidents over at Tau Online when people did not pay attention, where careless, or just to tired.

9. I would say to get him two more destroyers (full squad of 5), and some immortals if you have the money. 2 destroyers, around $40 ($32), 5 immortals $50 ($40).

10. If you feel like going above $200, then I... whoops, don't forget paint... hehe. That is pretty cheap, or it used to be. About.... what $3 a pot now? Just make sure you make them last, not leaving them open, or doing things that might waist paint. They can last for a long time if you are careful.

11. Now if you want to go over $200 (see if I forgot any other essential), then get him some more immortals (finish up the squad to 10), and maybe MAYBE! a monolith. Another box of warriors would be better though, or even another battle force (if not to just get all those slippery scarabs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy
    5. pennies-$0.20, to give those warriors some heft, glue a Pennie on the bottom.
    That's a great idea! It's so simple. I laughed at first but then thought an extra second more. Genius!!
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast