hormagaunts > (terma)guants? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hormagaunts > (terma)guants?

Hey all,

Im just starting to get back into 40k after a 6-7 year absence due to university...and a lot has changed. I used to play eldar, but now Im testing my hand at 'nids because the new models look really cool.

I want to field a essentially all CC army, with the exception of a venom cannon carnifex, and some zoanthropes once I compile a larger army.

Annoyingly enough the gaunt box can only make 1/2 the models into hormagaunts, but I only want hormagaunts, because they seem much cooler.

Anyways, I see that genestealers have the option of using scything talons, and so hence come with scything talons in their sprue....is there any chance of convertability there? What Im looking at doing is buying a box of guants and genestealers, and then using the genestealer scything talon bits (w/ modifications, if needed) to make all 16 of the guant bodies into hormagaunts.

Has anyone tried this or know if its possible...i.e. do the genestealers come with enough ST bits, and are they easy enough to convert to make hormagaunts?
    Thanks!
    Screamer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

First, welcome to the boards.

The genestealer scything talons are a bit bulkier then the hormagaunt ones (same length, but more than twice as thick blade-wise). They look more like Ork Choppas than scything talons (in my opinion), and they look huge on 'Gaunt models, but I'm not saying that to deter you.

First though, I'd definitely proxy a Hormagaunt-based army before actually buying all those hormies... their performance tends to vary greatly from foe to foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

the genestealer ST don't need any sort of converting to be put on a gaunt body although it doesn't look so good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Screamer the claws on the Genestealer sprue should work fine on the Termagant models.
    Test it by using a little bit of blu-tac first. I used Hormagaunt scything talons on my Termagants and they look fine.
    I know Gaunts can't have scything talons so I use them as Hormagaunts instead with the tails converted to make them look like scorpions.
    Standard Gaunts made to be Hormagaunts make quite nice quirky little things.
    Don't worry that the models aren't jumping in the air like normal Hormagaunts it is easy to assume that they all scurry along in a way that provides similar benefits to leaping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah if they say that they don't look like their leaping(damn WYSIWYG jack holes) then say they "woke up" or "just landed" and say well that modle dosent have such n such now dose it?usally they will say "what modle" or "i'll shut up now"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you could also say that only Hormagaunts can have Scything Talons, so regular gaunts with talons must be Hormagaunts.

I've done that with a box of gaunts and plan to do it again real soon. It looks best if you remember two things:
    1)Mix arms: Put a set of stealer talons on a hornie model. Put Hornie claws on a gaunt model. If you mix them up a bit it gives the gaunts a nice genetic melting pot look. I even put an extra set of warrior talons on one, had to balance the sucker out, but he looks pretty good. For the stealer models, remember that you can round the tops to make them look like a stealer.

2)Mix Models in squads: I like setting up the models with leaping in front and the gaunt models behind. It makes it look like a wave of hormagaunts sweeping in. Also, by having the mixed groups will help to quiet the WYSIWYG lawyers. Also remember that no creature in any natural sense leaps the full distance. Hormagaunts, from a fluffy perspective, would bound like rabbits of doom along the way, and then take one last bounce to attack. Between each bounce, they would run to bounce again.

Hope that helps.
    The truest form of tactical prowess is to make your enemy smile happily as they walk into your trap.

Hug a genestealer today!

+ Reply to Thread