hide and shoot - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hide and shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hide and shoot

i was playing a game down at the local games workshop and came across a rule that i have never heard of before. at the start of the game i parked my raider behind a small building. on my turn, i was going to move away from the behind the building and fire at a squad of genesteelers. one of the guys that worked at the store suggested to me to just pop up and shoot and not move out into the open. immediately i thought that that was too good to be true.

so i can shoot them from behind cover because im a skimmer but cant get shot at because im behind cover. wow! that almost makes things not fair. (for my opponent anyway)

a question i have though is the following: does that count as a movement or something strange like that? or can i move 12" behind some cover during the movement phase and pop up and shot during the shooting phase? i was completely unaware of this rule so please indulge me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

I think that the guy at the store was somewhat incorrect. It is true that one can declare that their Skimmer has ended its movement either behind cover or high enough such that it can see over the cover. However, that is where it ends its movement. As such, in the case you describe, you have a Raider hiding behind a building. If it is hiding, it cannot shoot. If it decides to pop up to shoot, it ends its movement up there and it stays there until its next movement phase.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, that makes sense now. so it was too good to be true. thanks ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, I know that it seems a bit powerful, but what is the solution to this answer in that case:

Raider is behind some woods, but has not declared to be hiding, but no enemy can draw LoS to it. Who can shoot who? Does the wood block the raider's LoS also?
    Malekith's pet cat - "Puuurrrrrrrrr"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The Liger
    I'm not sure, I know that it seems a bit powerful, but what is the solution to this answer in that case:

Raider is behind some woods, but has not declared to be hiding, but no enemy can draw LoS to it. Who can shoot who? Does the wood block the raider's LoS also?
    I'd say that one should always declare whether the Raider is hiding or not. I would probably be rather lenient with this, however. If the Raider fires, it's clearly not hiding. If it doesn't fire, I'll agree that it is hiding -- even if it was not previously declared as doing so. As I said, though: one should always declare the Raider's altitude
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

+ Reply to Thread