New to Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tyranids

Well, I have finally decided to collect a Tyranid army. I have played them before using my friends, and that was with the old codex. Sooo, I am going to get my hive tyrant real soon, and i was wondering, what seems to be the best overall weapons/claws to arm him wih?

Also, what should i get next, a gaunt set, or genestealers?:hmm:

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers

One Shot, One Kill

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my Tyrant

Wingrant(169): Winged, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, 2 Twin-linked Devourers, Warp Field.
    but you can always have a venom cannon instead or other stuff, its your choice.

I started collecting Genestealer first becase they are cool .
    "How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair."
    - Aun'shi of the Tau

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

I belive maybe a Tyrant, a squad of genestealers, two squads of gaunts, and maybe a warrior brood would set you up well.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

For Hive Tyrants (and really, all Tyranid Monstrous Creatures), you want to pick a role and specialize them towards that role. Try not to mix CC / Ranged firepower (if you want to fight hand to hand, build a pure hand to hand monster. If you want to fight from a distance, build a pure ranged monster). Mixing and matching is a good way to waste points... and we've got plenty of good things to spend points on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

PoptartsNinja

I second that notion, the Tyrant should be dedicated to a single role as this will make it far more cost effectieve, so choose either ranged or cc.

Good examples of ranged are:

VC/TL-devourer, BS/TL-devourer, 2x TL-devourer ( this combo is even betetr on a winged tyrant )

For a cc dedicated you'll also have to ask wether you want him winged or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreachon
    PoptartsNinja

I second that notion, the Tyrant should be dedicated to a single role as this will make it far more cost effectieve, so choose either ranged or cc.

Good examples of ranged are:

VC/TL-devourer, BS/TL-devourer, 2x TL-devourer ( this combo is even betetr on a winged tyrant )

For a cc dedicated you'll also have to ask wether you want him winged or not.
    the only thing is that a TL devourer Tyrant is better in CC than a pure CC tyrants owing to the fact that you get 12 extra attacks (basically causing most squads to make 10 saves) b4 you charge on your targeted unit with 4 awesome attacks compared to 6 awesome attacks of the pure CC tyrant.

Thats the only exception

Carni

PS not as good against tanks though
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

For what you would buy next I would suggest a box of gaunts. This will give you the neccessary two troops choices quickly and the gaunts are really the base of a lot of armies. If you want a gauntless army though I would suggest getting a box of genestealers next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifexus
    the only thing is that a TL devourer Tyrant is better in CC than a pure CC tyrants owing to the fact that you get 12 extra attacks (basically causing most squads to make 10 saves) b4 you charge on your targeted unit with 4 awesome attacks compared to 6 awesome attacks of the pure CC tyrant.

Thats the only exception

Carni

PS not as good against tanks though
    Say what you will, but the Devil Tyrant also decimates lightly armored troops (such as Guardsmen, Tau, Orks, and Gaunts) and lightly armored vehicles (such as Land Speeders). I usually find them to be highly effective against skimmers, by virtue of shot quantity. Hit it enough times, and you'll probably glance.

Sometimes, quantity of firepower is superior to quality of firepower; and having a mobile fire platform which can evade slower enemy assault troops (such as grey knights) while firing on them turn after turn can be extremely beneficial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the money, the most economical thing to get next is the battle force. It comes with three troop choices, fex and warriors. The only reason i wou;dn't suggest getting it is if you wouldn't use everything in it. The box however gives you a very solid force to begin with, of which you can easily expand off. I like it so much that i bought two Anyway, happy hunting~!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

By buying the battleforce, you also save $25 over buying a Carnifex, 'Gaunt box, Genestealer box, and Warrior box individually, so it's a good way to save money if you need Gaunts, Genestealers, Warriors, and a Carnifex... and who doesn't love a big gribbly Carnifex?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast