Librarium Online Forums banner

commander and drones

719 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  elfwarden 
#1 ·
if i give my commander a drone controler and shield drones dose he lose his independent character status?

#4 ·
Kristofer said:
Yes, it's only the etheral that can take drones and still be Independent.
Wrong it specifically states that a commander only loses his IC status if he takes bodyguards, the commander and drones form a unit but if the commander and drones are not the closest unit they cannot be targeted because he still has IC status.He can join another unit even when he has drones and then he can be shot as part of the unit, same goes if he is the closest target and he has drones, he can be shot as a part of the unit, but if he has drones and is not the closest target he cannot be targeted (he still has IC status) Hope that makes sense.

#5 ·
Another weird wording-job by GW. . .
They say that the Drones and Commander "form a unit" which would make you think that he does lose his IC. However, he can still join units like an IC...luckily I'm not putting Drones onto him, so I'll have no argument :sleep:

I haven't read the rules, so I'm going to stop now.

#6 ·
Ack this is happening again. I've flip-flopped on this issue several times. At first I agreed with rikimaru, but if that is true then why on p. 31 does it say that independant characters and drones form a unit? Did they just put it in there for non-existent character selections? It does say that he may still join another unit, but why did they put the entry on p.31 in if he doesn't form a unit when seperate from another unit?

#8 ·
The Doctor said:
Like it has been said in a couple of threads, GW didn't proofread this codex.:sleep:
Sigh, but how do we know the boyguard wording/ honor guard wording isn't the misprint? I'm at a loss as to what to say about these rules (p31 and also the entries for the individual IC's) as they clearly contradict each other. It's a rather vital issue when it comes to scoring units, but I don't see any way to resolve it, nor do I see which side has more power. I swear, if GW had had one competent LO user read the codex we could have stopped 90% of this.

#10 · (Edited)
well..

"...........if accompanied by drones, he may still join other units "AS" an independant character"

this implies to me that he is not an independant character, but can join units like one. as one. not is one.
everything else he does is like a regular unit.

well thats how i interpret it when i look at it. but im different. so most likely wrong.

#11 ·
O'M'yen'Mal'caor said:
well..

"...........if accompanied by drones, he may still join other units "AS" an independant character"

this implies to me that he is not an independant character, but can join units like one. as one. not is one.
everything else he does is like a regular unit.

well thats how i interpret it when i look at it. but im different. so most likely wrong.
Right then the wording, I have really scrutinised the wording because of this thread and my interpritation has changed.

The wording says if accompanied by drones he may still join others units as an independent character, so thats clear it means he is still an independent character, thats why it specifically states that unless he is accompanied by BGuards he is an IC, the only way the commander can lose his IC status is to take a retinue of bodyguards.

Right so thats clear, but on further analysis I did change my mind on one point 'targeting of a commander with drones', an IC can only be targeted if he is the closest model to the firing unit. This means IC models on their own with no other models attached (units, drones or retinues)

The entry for drones says if an IC has a drone controller and drones they form a unit, but what has that got to do with the IC status of the commander? absolutely nothing, if the commander joins a unit of FW he is still an IC but he can be hit as part of the unit but not picked out individually by shooting. So this simply means if the commander takes drones he can be targeted as part of a unit, this means if he and the drones are not the closest target to the firing unit then a target priority test needs to be taken to target the commander / drone unit just as per a normal unit.
This is actually different to what I thought applied but does take some deciphering.

The complication here comes from the IC wording in the commander entry, it implies that because he is still classed as a lone IC even when taking drones and is still an IC for targeting purposes (cannot be targeted if not closest) and this is not the case, it states that the commander follows ALL the rules for IC in the BGB and that simply means he can be targeted as part of a unit but not picked out individually.
Taking drones does not mean he cannot join another seperate unit because when he does join the other unit he still cannot be picked out of the unit just the same as if he was taking the drones alone (it makes no difference really)

So he does not lose his IC status but he is liable to target priority tests if he has drones and has not joined another unit.

Also if the commander and his drones do end up taking hits and the drones die all the rules regarding unit strength and objectives, moral when taking 25% casualties etc apply this is also why the unit classification is included to clarify that the commander is included under these rules.

But heres another question do the two drones count as a seperate unit for casualty calculations and objective taking when the commander and his drones are a part of another unit (think about that one)

As for Shadowsun and her drones absolutely totaly irrelevent, she is a special character and has her own rules.

Anyway I have corrected myself to a point, the original question was does he lose IC status and that still answers as no, but my answer is modified.

Sorry if this is hard to followed and convoluted but its hard to explain clearly.

#12 · (Edited)
I think I see your point riki, so he would still be an IC but the drones would affect targeting, just as if he joined a squad he'd be an IC but joining the squad would effect the targeting. That seems to make the most sense. I believe your answer is accurate after looking it over myself, man that was a confusing situation.

As for casualties I believe you would still count the drones in (p.31 says you do), but with 10 leadership I doubt he'll be running.

#13 ·
geese GW makes my head hurt sometimes. o well i guess its a toss up again due to
GW's wording. but i guess it states that the commander loses his IC ability when equiped with bodyguards so i guess hes still IC with drones

#14 ·
Anabis_Xero said:
geese GW makes my head hurt sometimes. o well i guess its a toss up again due to
GW's wording. but i guess it states that the commander loses his IC ability when equiped with bodyguards so i guess hes still IC with drones
i agree with this.
tho GW should REALLY make better rules the enire codex is fild with faulty explanations.:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.