types of fexes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: types of fexes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

types of fexes

I was wondering before I make my fex what type of head is best (e.g. regenerate head, tusked head, enhanced sences). Also keep in mind that I play a bunch of people who all have space marines and one has Tau. ps. this is going to be a fex with a VC and scything talons. If you know of a better combination of wepons please share Im new to tyranids and only own a hive tyrant. Thx for the feedback!!:yes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

i'm not a nid player, but i know this:

don't EVER mix weapons on tyranids (except for warriors broods)

that makes it so they waster their potential every turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a shooting fex (which seem to be effective then cc ones) either go ES, and 2X Tl devourers for an elite one, or for a heavy fex go VC, BS, ES and what i add is EC and reinforced chitin. This heavy fex is very hard to kill. So for the question of which head, if it's going to be shooty go enhanced senses, but if you make it a pure cc one go tusked. For a cheap but good cc fex combo go tucked, and 2X ST, ag-I and flesh hooks, With 6 attacks on the charge and striking before PF, it's effective while reasonably cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

There's 4 main types of Carnifex's. Dakka, Gun, Assault, and a mix.

Generally, mixing types is a bad idea, because you're always wasting pts in a certain area. I would stay away from assault as well, because fex's tend to be too slow to get into combat. I prefer the Dakka Fex, or the Gun fex'.

They both almost always make their pts back for me, and because they have ranged weaponry their slowness isn't as much of a problem. Basically, a gun fex has a Barbed Strangler and Venom cannon, and a dakka fex has devourers. Of course they both of Enhanced Senses, which is a must on almost any shooty fex.

I suggest checking out this Carnifex biomorphes tactica. It's very imformative, and will give you a good idea on how to equip your carnifex.

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x2)

G'day mate and welcome to LO.

I'd recommend having a quick look at the few carnifex threads that have been going just recently.

An important thing when kitting out Carnifex's is to remember what you want to use them for and STICK TO THAT.
    As has been said before, they are much more dangerous when they are streamlined towards a certain purpose.
    For example, giving them all guns and no close combat biomorphs. Eg 1x Venom cannons, 1x barbed strangler, enhanced senses and maybe regenerate. This gives a very strong shooting platform that can also survive for a long time.

Same goes for close combat, though these carnifexs often need to be tougher as they will be getting real close to the enemy.

Other than that, play testing is the best way of seeing what is good and what isn't.

Junior Member Gozer the Carpathian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget that you can always do magnet mounts or pin mounts on your arms and do everything. (It takes a LOT of work but it's worth it if you don't have the money to buy multiple fexes or want to go back and fix them after getting them blowed up a couple dozen times.)

I agree though that the shooty fex is pretty darn good. Enhanced senses, +1 T, +1 W, BS and VC and you end up with a slow moving fire platform that chews up most everything. Oh and for good measure? 2+ armor save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys i think im gona go with the shooty fex since most of you more "experienced" people like them so they must be good. Ive played a few battles with my bro using some orcs as tyranids (e.g. I used a dreadnaught for my fex which killed his predator ) hopefully i can get some pictures once i make them and maybe write a few battle reports. good bye for now!

edit~ i have a question also about the walking hive tyrant. Im thinking of making him a shooty one also because he is not as fast as the winged one i may get so i was wondering what a good ranged combo for hive tyrants would be. Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by Himamy; April 20th, 2006 at 05:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

Personally, My Hive Tyrant is more close combat flying oriented, so I can't personally help you much without my codex at hand, but I'm sure if you checked out this Hive Tyrant biomorphe link you should get what your looking for.

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

A good walking shooty tyrant is one of the following

VC and TL-devourers
    BS and TL-devourers
    VC and TL-deathspitters

These are the most frequent walking guntyrant's I've come across the web, personally the first one is also the most used of the three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

If you're gonna use a walking tyrant, then I suggest you take Tyrant Guard as well, if you have enough pts for it.

Cheers!
    Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast