New Eldar Rangers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Eldar Rangers

has anyone seen the new eldar rangers there well nice, can anyone tell me how they think the cloaks have been painted, in the picture the one on the far left is legend

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what picture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

They were on the gamesworkshop preview gallery.

There are several ways to do the cloaks. One is the mottle effect which you can find in the Craftworld Eldar codex. In the example they could of done it two ways. it is not uncommon for people to sketch on the details first before adding paint. They could have also painted the detail on top from scratch if they are that good. In which case they would of started with the colour which covers the most area and work from there by layering other colours on top. Highlight tend to be a mix of the colours used with either white or a primary colour which lightens the colour. (ie to lighten green you would use yellow or white) Also a 50/50 mix of ink and acrylic colours make the paint job smooth, useful for highlights and general layer building for places like the face and cloaks (the more layers you add the cleaner and smoother the shading becomes)

it also looks like they went for a multiple layer highlight, this is just a case of highlighting the same area more than once, starting with a darker colour moving to the lightest colour they wanted, much like I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Anyways I would make a post in the painting and modeling section of the forums, there are some talented painters floating around and they can probably offer more advice.

Oh sorry for the large image, it was either this or a rediculously tiny image, I presume this would of aided the discussion better. (Image is not of my own work unforunately )
    Last edited by Heiromyo; April 18th, 2006 at 19:50.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When they'll be released?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Since they were on the official preview gallery I imagine it shouldn't be too long, give it a month at most before they are or word is given out at least.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are nice they will sway my choice on starting the Alaitoc army...
    Waaagh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Yeah, they are great models. They have been mentioned in the Review and Preview forums though, and I heard that there will be previews of the new Eldar models/codex in White Dwarfs soon to come. However, I'm not sure, and this is just a rumor I heard.

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my in-store subscription yesterday (US 316). A quick read does not show them as upcoming. They did mention the venerable dread and a lot of LOTR items. There is a top down picture on the back cover titled Next Month - Cities of Death! There is one of the new Eldar Rangers on top of some new building terrain and a dead Vostroyan, in a pool of his own blood, on the steps below!

Homer Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well for the city of death they are coming out with the rangers and a wepons platfrom (all new )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

If you go tothe GW site and pull the Medusa V GCN campaign pack you will see that this 2 day event, preceeding the summer campaign has a heavy eldar involvement, specifically focusing on Alaitoc, with a seperate army list. This would imply that the summer campaign uses Alaitoc strongly, accordingly the new rangers minis and the support weapon platform will, in all probability be out within the next 2 months.

As to painting them, they have very strong colour changes whilst this is achievable through wet blending, I suspect that in this case it was layering, as per Heiromyos statement above, in this case, the way to do it would be:

1. Base coat white
    2. take pallet and add some dark (Darkangels?) green, make sure it is well watered down and wash the cloak in that
    3 repeat 2 until you have a sold colour
    4, add a little lighter green to slightly change the hue, keep the paint well watered, paint the cloak again but leave the deeper recesses - dont paint those
    5. keep repeating 4 adding more lighter colour and very gradually changing the hue, keep the paint thin, and paint less and less surface area
    6. I suspect, given the brighness that an ink wask was applied afterwards

But this is speculation, best bet would be to ask Razza (Darren Lathem who works for the eavy metal team)

Other consideration:
    Cammoflage 101:
    Camoflage works in 2 ways:

1: matching background- ideally paint them in leaves from the tree they are hiding in,

2. Defusion - camoflage to break up the shape of the person/object, whilst often done with similar colours to the surroundings, there is no need to start painting leaves

consider a helmet, basically a hemesphere, inthe first case, to the human eye, having a helmet painted to look like leaves in the bush it is placed in makes it very difficult to see, but actually its shape may give it away (there are not many hemespheres in nature) the latter arguement would break up the shape, commonly by the application of varrious iregular coloured shapes, also by sticking bits of bush to it!

Now the last problem is that painting cammo that works in real life onto a 28mm mini makes the mini just look blatted, appologies to Harbish for using his as an example,. but :

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...php?i=781&c=36

that is quite concievably a good cammo pattern in real life but on the mini looks rather like about 6 people were given different pots of paint and a tooth brush each and someone said go

One other thing is WD316 has a picci of one of the new rangers in the medusa V section with
    an entirely different paint scheme
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast