Librarium Online Forums banner

The Frequently Asked Questions about Tyranids.

55K views 188 replies 78 participants last post by  jy2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
40K Chaos has one of these, so why not the Tyranids?

This is a thread for answering the most Frequently Asked Questions for Tyranids. If you have a question you'd like answered, feel free to ask it here. Someone will come along and answer the question in the format laid out below. After your question has been answered, I will delete your post to keep things from cluttering. Please keep in mind that this is not a discussion thread, so limit your posts to asking of rules questions or posting of answers. If you have questions about a certain question, either PM me (I'm always happy to field questions) or create a new thread.

The format is as follows.
1) The Question and Answer will be seperated for easy spotting and bolded.

2) References must be given, please. If you can't supply a reference for an answer, don't post the FAQ. The only acceptable references are the Codeci, Player's Handbook, FAQs on the UK site, and the sticky threads on official GW forum sites.

3) Forum rules must still be adhered to. Posting of stats, special rules, or any other copywrited material will warrant a 30% warning.

I'll use an example to illustrate.

Question:
Can the Broodlord and his Retinue use Fleet of Foot/Claw/Wing?

Answer:
No. The Broodlord does not have the Fleet Universal Special Rule, and units always travel at the speed of the slowest model. Fleet is not given to an Independant Character who joins a unit with it, so he may never have that rule. (Ref: Page 36 of the Tyranids Codex; page 74 of the 40K Rules book.)

As the thread moves on, I'll turn this post into an index of sorts that is sorted by alphabetical order.

Papa Karmoon: Below is a summay list, an index done by Warrior 47
Shower him with reputation, praise, buttons, small pieces of biscuit and other such things

Here's a question that doesn't have an answer yet, so I'll do my best to answer it for you :p

Okay, here is an index of pretty much all the questions that are in this thread. They are organized by categories of what units they pertain to or other categories such as synapse. Each question is a link to the answer for it unless it states otherwise. I took whatever answer seemed the most detailed and definative to me when making the index, so please don't blame me if your answer was not picked. Some questions are repeated under several categories to make for ease of finding them. Please report any broken links or errors to me and I'll try and fix them.

Oh, and I will be speaking in red so that you can find my notes in the mass of questions.

General Questions (Includes Biomorphs, Weapons and Special Characters ATM)

At some point I will try to sort these into weapons and biomorph categories as well, but please bare with me for now.

Which printing is the latest version of the Tyranid Codex?

Are the rules for the Death Leaper in the Cities of Death (Fall of Medusa V) Campain the same as the current rules for him on the official site?

Do you need opponents permission to field the Red terror, Old One Eye And/or The Death Leaper?? (2nd Question)

Can a Tyranid choose Adrenalin glands (+1 Initiative) more times than once?

When deploying using the Escalation rule, if there is no Broodlord, is it possible to not have Synapse during the first turn? Are Zoanthropes able to be deployed with the troops, or do they fall back if they fail leadership tests? (1st Question)

For Feeder Tendrils, how do you determine if an enemy unit is a preferred enemy? Do you declare preferred enemy at the beginning of battle? (2nd Question)

Can a single Tyranid model take the upgrade Adrenal Glands for both WS and I at the same time?

When equipping both adrenal glands (ws + I) do you need to stick 2 glands to the model?

If a tyrant (for example) Has ST and RC so his attacks are 3+1 Does this mean he gets 4 attacks with ST and then 3 with RC? (2nd Question)

For extended carapase.. what do they look like as silly as this might be..

My dex seems to indicate if I buy spinefists for my warriors I get a pair, is that a single pair ie one weapon or two weapons, two sets of spinefists?. Nowhere else does it say pair after a spinefist entry, but it does there for some reason

Can a psychic hood cancel either psynapse or the bonesword's ability?

Okay, 2 possible answers to this question. I'll just post the question twice with the two different answers as they are both technically right and the person who asked it didn't clarify:

Karmoon's Answer: Ive seen a lot of mentioning of brood nests everywhere but i cant seem to find any rules for them. Prolly seems like a n00bzorz question but ive only been playin for bout a week and am wondering what these things are next to all my other bits...

Ladon's Answer: Ive seen a lot of mentioning of brood nests everywhere but i cant seem to find any rules for them. Prolly seems like a n00bzorz question but ive only been playin for bout a week and am wondering what these things are next to all my other bits...

When giving a tyranid Rending Claws, Does it only add the "Rending" effect to the bug, or do they act as power weapons aswell?

Now my question is can I use my fleet move to get into base contact with the tanks?

Can I assault a bunker or tank, even though the unit I am assaulting it with is not strong enough to penetrate/glance the tank/bunker?

If a Carnifex or Tyrant chooses to have two Venom Cannons or two Barbed Stranglers, do they count as 1 twin-linked weapon? (or can you fire all the shots, ie 4 shots from a 2x VC Carnifex?)

Do monstrous creatures with rending claws just ignore them against vehicles? Or do they get an extra D6 if they roll a 6?
Don't even try to say it overrides the 2D6, as it's not a weapon in any way, shape or form in the rules, it's just a biomorph, and even if it was, it doesn't alter strength, only gives them an ability.

I am reading the rule book and it says twin linked template weapons re-roll to wound? So Twin Linked Deathspitter - roll to hit once then re-roll to wound?

If I equip Flesh hooks and adrenal glands (I) on my CC Fex; on the charge into cover, does he hit first? i.e. does the AG (I) modifier make the Fex's effective initiative 11, under these circumstances?

If a creature with rending claws also has a bio-plasma attack, does the rule for rending apply to the plasma? It says under bio-plasma that they "may make a single extra close combat attack", and that Tyranids with rending claws "gain the Rending ability for all their close combat attacks." As such, the rules appear to imply yes. It just seems a bit silly, though.

Hive Tyrant Questions:

Does a Hive Tyrant with wings have the Hit and Run ability?

Many people seem to give a Hive tyrant warp blast along with two ranged weapons. Will the tyrant be able to shoot all three weapons, or is this done just to give the tyrant more versitility when shooting?

Can the Hive Tyrant's Lash Whip and Bone sword option be used as an off-hand weapon?

For an extra attack?

BroodLord Questions

Under normal circumstances, can a Brood Lord get a first-turn assault?

Do genestealers lose their Fleet of Claw if they are retinue for the Broodlord?

can you infiltrate a Broodlord, disconnect him from his squad, fleet the 'stealers and assault with them?

If you have a broodlord with a retinue can you select the broodlord to be shot at using his toughness and Sv. Can you just use the Save, or is it the retinue because they are the majority?

Does the broolord AND his retinue have the ability to infiltrate, ergo a broodlord shows up with 10 genestealers 12" out of LoS or 18" from the nearest enemy unit.

Warrior Questions

Does leaping give warriors Fleet of Foot (Since it says in the rulebook that leaping warriors become beasts, beasts get FoF Etc.)

Can a Warrior take both the winged and leaping biomorphs?

Warrior weapon symbiotes may differ within a brood, but may biomorphs? For example, may two devourer armed warriors take toxin sacs but the third venom-cannon armed not?

My dex seems to indicate if I buy spinefists for my warriors I get a pair, is that a single pair ie one weapon or two weapons, two sets of spinefists?. Nowhere else does it say pair after a spinefist entry, but it does there for some reason

Okay instead of asking my question above about Tyranid Warriors having boneswords, how about I just ask...can Warriors even have boneswords? Do older Tyranid codexe's rules still aply if the warrior does have a bonesword? ...And if the new codex for Tyranids does not mention warriors having boneswords...do you revert to the old codex?

This next question had a very large debate go on about it in the rules forum, but I think that Winterous put it best. I'll see if I can't find the link for that debate later though so you can read people's points of view for yourself.

Can a Warrior have a twin-linked Barbed Strangler?

Lictor Questions

When a Lictor comes into play, if it is out of Synapse range is it required to make a leadership test, due to it not getting a movement phase for deep striking? (4th Question)

When a lictor deepstrikes, the codex says it can assault. Does this mean I can move and assault as normal?

If a Lictor Deepstrikes into a unit (say Space Marines) which is in area terrian. Is it killed outright, is it put on that place in base contact (moving a few marines if neseserary) or is it put 1 inch away from the marines, but still in area terrian?

Genestealer Questions

Do genestealers lose their Fleet of Claw if they are retinue for the Broodlord?

If a brood of 'stealers are forced to make a moral cheak and fail do they fall back to the table edge like space marines or any like troops ect. or do they fall back to the nearest synapse field? (2nd Question)

Gaunt Questions

When a squad of gaunts with "Without Number" are placed on the table on the turn after being killed, how can they be placed? Do they have to line up right at the edge of the board or can they be placed in normal unit coherency in any shape as long as one is touching the board edge?

Hormagaunt Questions

Ripper Swarm Questions

How many rippers do you have to model onto a base for it to count as a ripper swarm.

was reading another thread and someone was talking about rippers with rending claws, I looked it up in my handy dandy codex and I couldn't find a point cost for rending claws on ripers ... Am I missing something?

Gargoyle Questions

Ravenor Questions

Spore Mine Questions

If a spore mine cluster deepstrikes and lands on another squad, therefore dying, are they just removed from play or do the detonate?

Zoanathorpe Questions

Does the Zoanthrope have to use it's bs when his firing Warp Blast? *Do I have to roll on a 4+ to see if I hit the target? or is it auto-hit?* (5th Question)

Biovore Questions

Do Biovores have to target an enemy unit? Or if all existing enemy units are in H2H can they fire spores onto different parts of the table (with the hope they will eventually float into something)?

How does a Biovore fire?

Carnifex Questions

Synapse Questions

Does my fearless / LD 10 Carnifex (or other similar brood of Tyranids) have to take Instinctive Behaviour tests?

Could you force tyranid units to make use of Instinctive Behavior, even if they don't have to abide by them (like Genestealers). In short, Could a generstealer Lurk? Could you use Lurk for Termagant who need to defend something in a forest. but are stil within Synapse?

If a unit is out of Synapse range, does the player get to choose which action the unit will take (Lurk, Fall Back)? (3rd Question)

Do tyranids out of synapse control need to take a leadership test to shoot? Or do they only have to make one for moving?

So, if a Carnifex is out of synapse range does it have to make a leadership test to move? As well as a Lictor?

When broods with the special rule "Brood telapathy" are withen snyapse range do they gain the beifits from it? Or are they just screw out of the Goodies?

If a brood of 'stealers are forced to make a moral cheak and fail do they fall back to the table edge like space marines or any like troops ect. or do they fall back to the nearest synapse field? (2nd Question)

Can a psychic hood cancel either psynapse or the bonesword's ability?

The wraith cannon on wraith guard has a special rule which states that if a role to wound is a 6 then the target suffers instant death regardless of toughness. So the question is how will this effect a tyranid model that is within synapse range? (Any model within synapse is immune to instant death).

Can you use other tyranid players synapse? I mean seriously? There have been a LOT of arguments at my local club due to this.... Also, do broods with Brood telepathy flee towards the nearest synapse?

Do nids hit with a force weapon suffer instant death while in synapse range?

Well, I hope this is good enough. If anyone has a better way to organize this info, please tell me, but I think this is better than nothing.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is one that i myself asked not to long ago:

Question:
Does leaping give warriors Fleet of Foot (Since it says in the rulebook that leaping warriors become beasts, beasts get FoF Etc.)

Answer:
No. The rulebook does say this however nowhere in the codex does it say leaping warriors are beasts... and we have to go by the newest source of information available. (Ref: Tyranids Codex, sort of)

Hope it helps.

~R1p70r~

#4 · (Edited)
One that should pop up soon (Or already has in some cases):

Question:
Are the rules for the Death Leaper in the Cities of Death (Fall of Medusa V) Campain the same as the current rules for him on the official site?

Answer:
As far as it seems, Yes. They have released the Pack for the pre campain thing Here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/campaignweekends/assets/medusa-v-pack.pdf If you look on the 13th page (Out of 18 ) It shows the stats for the Death Leaper Seemingly unchanged.
This is as far as i can see us getting untill the book is released though.

Question:
Do you need opponents permission to field the Red terror, Old One Eye And/or The Death Leaper??

Answer:
For the Red Terror and Old One Eye? No. For the Death Leaper yes (Untill CoD). Old One Eye and The Red Terror have points limits on them though but as long as your army follows those boundries then you are perfectly alright using them (Though it may be a good idea to get opponents permission just for good sportsmanship).

Reference: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tyranids/special-characters/1/ (Please note! When Cities of Death comes out some of the rules for the red terror and death leaper (Dont think on OOE though) May/will change. So keep checking the website.)

~R1p70r~

Ps: Thanks for making this thread Caluin... Its very helpful to people.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
ok so the broodlord dosent have Fleet of claw but does this also mean that his retuine LOSES the fleet of claw ability just because he dosent have it?, as long as the unit keeps the 2" coherency required could the retuine fleet ahead of the brood lord?

Answer (By R1p70r):
No. On page 50 in the Bgb it says that in some cases the creatures lose this ability. Though it is a debateable topic i am sticking by No untill the FaQ is (finally) released on the games workshop website.

Answer (By Caluin):
They lose it so long as the Broodlord is part of the unit. If the Broodlord were to be removed from the unit, then the Genestealers would regain their Fleet ability (Ref: Page 74 of the Warhammer 40K Rules book).

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
Does my fearless / LD 10 Carnifex (or other similar brood of Tyranids) have to take Instinctive Behaviour tests?

Answer:
YES. Instinctive Behaviour is a leadership test, while fearlessness only affects morale checks. Broods which fail instinctive behaviour mimic the effects of a failed morale test, but have not failed a morale test. (p. 28, Codex Tyranids, Instinctive Behaviour, bullet one; P. 78, Warhammer 40k Rulebook)

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
Can a Carnifex choose Adrenalin glands (+1 Initiative) more times than once?

Answer:
No. Every biomorph can only be chosen once (Not counting Bio Weapons)... to bad... an I10 Carnifex would be great... =P. (Ref: Page 32 of the Tyranids Codex, first paragraph.)

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
Could you force tyranid units to make use of Instinctive Behavior, even if they don't have to abide by them (like Genestealers). In short, Could a generstealer Lurk? Could you use Lurk for Termagant who need to defend something in a forest. but are stil within Synapse?

Answer:
No. If the unit is in Synapse, they may not lurk or voluntarily fall back towards the nearest Synapse Creature. The Instinctive Behaviour rules only apply if there is no Synapse creature nearby. Also, Genestealers may never Lurk, since they have Brood Telepathy and will never succumb to the effects of Instinctive Behaviour. (Ref: Page 28 of the Tyranids Codex)

#26 ·
Question:
There is only one way I can see that Instinctive behavior can be used to your advantage. If you have gaunts with Without Number the new broods will start at your table edge and outside of synapse range. Hopefully they fail the test and move 3D6 toward the nearest synapse creature. (talk about back in the fight lol)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
can you infiltrate a Broodlord, disconnect him from his squad, fleet the 'stealers and assault with them?

Answer:
No, A retinue must stay with their Independant Character. However if it wasn't a Retinue but just a normal squad then this would be possible (Ref: pg 50 Warhammer 40k Rulebook). This applys to the Hive Tyrant and his retinue as well.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
When deploying using the Escalation rule, if there is no Broodlord, is it possible to not have Synapse during the first turn? Are Zoanthropes able to be deployed with the troops, or do they fall back if they fail leadership tests?

Answer:
Zoanthropes are not listed as beasts or Montrous Creatures, and are on foot (or the equivalent of foot being floating pyschic thing), therefore they may deploy as normal in an Escalation battle (Ref Tyranid Codex pg 44, Page 84 of the Warhammer 40K Rules book). Tyranid Warriors also may deploy in Escalation Missions so long as they are not winged.

Question:
For Feeder Tendrils, how do you determine if an enemy unit is a preferred enemy? Do you declare preferred enemy at the beginning of battle?

Answer:
All enemies count as being preferred enemies. ( Tyranid Codex pg 32.)

Question:
If a unit is out of Synapse range, does the player get to choose which action the unit will take (Lurk, Fall Back)?

Answer:
As per the codex pg 28. If they wish to move, take a leadership test. If they don't wish to move they may lurk. If you fail the leadership test you must fall back you can't then choose to lurk. (Ref Tyranid Codex pg 28)

Question:
When a Lictor comes into play, if it is out of Synapse range is it required to make a leadership test, due to it not getting a movement phase for deep striking?

Answer:
As per above, you only need to take a leadership test to move. As deepstriking counts as already having moved you don't need to take a test when you enter. You may also assault as per normal with the Lictor. (Ref Tyranid Codex pg 28, Page 84 of the Warhammer 40K Rules book)

Question:
Does the Zoanthrope have to use it's bs when his firing Warp Blast? *Do I have to roll on a 4+ to see if I hit the target? or is it auto-hit?*

Answer:
In the text for the Power it clearly states "this counts as a ranged weapon". Therefore you need LOS, roll to hit, roll to wound etc. (Ref Tyranid Codex pg 31)

Answer: (From PoptartsNinja)
The Zoanthrope has to roll to hit with Warp Blast, because any psychic power which does not state clearly that it does not require a hit roll, requires a hit roll.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
If a Lictor Deepstrikes into a unit (say Space Marines) which is in area terrian. Is it killed outright, is it put on that place in base contact (moving a few marines if neseserary) or is it put 1 inch away from the marines, but still in area terrian?

Answer:
The Lictor is killed outright because it has no special rules saying it's not. The Lictor's only special rules force it to deep strike into area terrain, which do not preclude it dying on contact with a squad.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUESTION:
Which printing is the latest version of the Tyranid Codex?

Answer:
There has only been one printing of the 4th edition Tyranid Codex at the time of this posting.

(Holo and Celephais - not quite the answers he was looking for, but thanks for trying.)

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
When a squad of gaunts with "Without Number" are placed on the table on the turn after being killed, how can they be placed? Do they have to line up right at the edge of the board or can they be placed in normal unit coherency in any shape as long as one is touching the board edge?

Answer:
When Units are returned to the field via the "Without Number" rule they come on like reserves. i.e. They are treated as moving in from the board edge. This means that the whole squad moves on as if the front of their base was touching the board edge. Therefore the maximum distance you can move on from the board edge for a unit of termagants is 6", after your movement phase. You can then fleet etc.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUESTION:
Can a Warrior take both the winged and leaping biomorphs?

ANSWER:
Nope you can't take winged and leaping as on page 33 of the tyranid codex under the winged biomorph it states "You cannot take extended carpace or leaping with a winged creature". I think it says it else where though I'm not sure.

Reactions: Karmoon
#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question
When equipping both adrenal glands (ws + I) do you need to stick 2 glands to the model?

Answer:
Local modelling rules vary from tournament to tournament. To be safe, you should model them both if you plan to make use of them.

Question
If a tyrant (for example) Has ST and RC so his attacks are 3+1 Does this mean he gets 4 attacks with ST and then 3 with RC?

Answer:
No. The Scything Talons will add their bonus to the Tyranid's attacks value, and then the Rending Claws will make all of those attacks Rending.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
If a spore mine cluster deepstrikes and lands on another squad, therefore dying, are they just removed from play or do the detonate?

Answer:
They blow up. In the codex it specifically says "if a spore mine makes contact with and enemy for any reason... the cluster explodes." It also says "if a mine is reduced to 0 Wounds or ortherwise killed, it will explode as detailed above. Both point to the mine exploding. (Ref: Tyranids FAQ: Link)

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question:
Warrior weapon symbiotes may differ within a brood, but may biomorphs? For example, may two devourer armed warriors take toxin sacs but the third venom-cannon armed not?

Answer:
No. Page 37 of the Tyranid codex states biomorphs must be paid per model in the brood, not per model. All warriors must have the same biomorphs (ie, if one has enhanced senses, they all must have enhanced senses).

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question
Do Biovores have to target an enemy unit? Or if all existing enemy units are in H2H can they fire spores onto different parts of the table (with the hope they will eventually float into something)?

Answer:
Biovores must target an enemy unit. No other barrage weapon can be fired at random pieces of scenery or open space (except Whirlwind mines, and those have special rules saying in effect 'you can shoot these anywhere you please so long as they're in range'), and neither can biovores. (Ref: Page 28 of the Tyranid Codex)

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUESTION:

When a lictor deepstrikes, the codex says it can assault. Does this mean I can move and assault as normal?

ANSWER:
(Per Karmoon, who also asked the question...) No, you fool, you may only assault! <-- is this the answer???

Yep thats the answer. You may only assault. I pity the fool that tries to move after deepstriking :D (unless youve already assaulted, then you can run away under the hit and run rule.)

#24 ·
Question:
So, if a Carnifex is out of synapse range does it have to make a leadership test to move? As well as a Lictor?

Answer:
That is correct. The Carnifex has to test for synapse. But please note, as the carnifex is fearless it doesn't fall back should it fail. It simply stays there for a turn shouting foul language at the enemy.

#25 · (Edited)
That is not entirely correct Karmoon. As answered here in the FAQ, when they fail their synapse test, they have to lurk. While this is essentially the same, it means that if you fail, you get the cover save bonus and don't just have to stand there out in the open.

EDIT for purpose of having entire answer in post: Your Carni can also fire while lurking, but it doesn't get the cover save bonus because of it's MC status. The lictor still gets the save though.

#28 ·
That is not entirely correct Karmoon. As answered here in the FAQ, when they fail their synapse test, they have to lurk. While this is essentially the same, it means that if you fail, you get the cover save bonus and don't just have to stand there out in the open.
Not true mate as lurking MCs don't get the save bonus=)

#31 ·
Is it me or does anyone else see MC and instantly think of the other meaning? Imagine a Lictor bustin' out a few hardcore rhymes while slaughtering some guardsmen or something

"Sorry i gotta do this pal, but its just my way, I gotta tie you up in combat and keep you at bay. I'm a lictor baby, yeah i'm big and mean, Holy crud you never said you were a space marine."

#35 ·
Is it me or does anyone else see MC and instantly think of the other meaning? Imagine a Lictor bustin' out a few hardcore rhymes while slaughtering some guardsmen or something

"Sorry i gotta do this pal, but its just my way, I gotta tie you up in combat and keep you at bay. I'm a lictor baby, yeah i'm big and mean, Holy crud you never said you were a space marine."
NO. My friend tells me H-K initials for a school that our teams play against and I have to think about it for a moment because the first thing that pops into my head is Hunter-Killer missle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.