Modeling Leaping? (gaunts and warriors especially) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

Modeling Leaping? (gaunts and warriors especially)

Is there an established way to model leaping? Is it required for WYSIWYG? I know the gaunts come with two types of bodies, but i'd like to use those to give a little more variety to both types of gaunts (horma and spine in my particular case). However, if i *need* to model them as leaping, i'll just put the leaping bodies with the scything talons.

The question is more pertinent w.r.t warriors, who don't have a "leaping" body, but have movable legs. I thought of splaying the legs out, but then the question of attachign them to the base makes life difficult.

Finally, i read in a local tourney ruleset that for a unit to be considered WYSIWYG that at least 50% of the group had to be modeled with the equipment, could i get away with keeping numbers even of non-leaping and leaping bodies?

Anyway, thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob
    Is there an established way to model leaping? Is it required for WYSIWYG?
    The most common way to model warriors with leaping is to alter the legs (by cutting them, and repositioning with green stuff). Gaunts come with leaping bodies, and that is intended to represent the leaping biomorph vs. nonleaping.

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob
    Finally, i read in a local tourney ruleset that for a unit to be considered WYSIWYG that at least 50% of the group had to be modeled with the equipment, could i get away with keeping numbers even of non-leaping and leaping bodies?
    That'd depend on the tournament, and how strict they're being about WYSIWYG. If it's just intended for friendly games, then do whatever you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Well for gaunts now thanks to the new rules any gaunt with scything talons should count as leaping since only hormagaunts can have those. Not sure if they accept this in tourneys though. If you look in the 3rd edition codex there is a good leaping warrior conversion. I beleive now part of it is in the recognizing biomorphs article on the GW website. It is really just cutting them at the joint and then straightening one leg and bending the other more.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put leaping nids on flying stands attached to their bases. Expensive and filmsy, maybe but cool^_^
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    The most common way to model warriors with leaping is to alter the legs (by cutting them, and repositioning with green stuff). Gaunts come with leaping bodies, and that is intended to represent the leaping biomorph vs. nonleaping.

That'd depend on the tournament, and how strict they're being about WYSIWYG. If it's just intended for friendly games, then do whatever you want.
    Leaping is a biomorph only in the sense that its grouped under the section for biomorphs, its actually more of an ability, and therefore does not need to be modeled, how do you model scuttle for instance, leaping is a movement enhancement and as long as you have the ability clearly listed on your army list and you have paid the points there should be no problem even in tournys.
    Even the GW website does not have a biomorph to illustrate leaping only a cut and green stuffed leg shot and lets face it what difference does a slightly altered leg position mean to an opponent, it hardly screams leaping. There is no biomorph part to model on a nid so just pay nthe points and let your opponent know before the match and your ok

+ Reply to Thread