Warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warriors

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Warriors

I'm curious how many people use warriors in full force in there armies, dropping tyrants for a brood of warriors, and how well they do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Since I started out last year with warriors, and have since added two HTs, my perception is that HTs are completely superior to warriors as HQ choices.

A walking tyrant starts with 4 wounds behind T6 and a very good save - being able to ignore bolter fire is priceless. And then you can add up to 6 more wounds by giving the HT some tyrant guard to hide behind. Depending on your fit-out you could purchase 3-5 warriors for the same price as the HT alone, and about one more warrior per guard. That seems like more wounds but they are only protected by T4 and 4+ saves. The walking tyrant can carry bigger guns and is arguably more lethal in close combat as well since it has a higher strength. The warrior brood might carry more guns, but they're worse shots and have lower strength.

The flying tyrant has all this except the guard, but does get an 18" threat radius, making it an exceptional synapse choice for fast troops, and a turn 2 assault threat.

I don't field warriors as battle-winning broods in themselves - I use them to support other, pointier broods with synapse and the odd rending attack or venom cannon shot. But then I have not yet had the opportunity to field a larger brood (9?), at which point their numbers might give them a significantly greater power.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

im thinking of fielding a total of 24 warriors in squads of 6, mixed with lictors, raveners, vores, two gun fexes and a bunch of small guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would never take a brood of warriors over my HT. And I'm building a Winged Devil Tyrant as well. HTs are by far one of the most leathel killers in the Tyranid army and are head over heels better then warriors. they are the only thing we have that can have BS4 and he is a monster in the shooting phase. My Gunny Tyrant kills more stuff then just about anything else by far. Just my 2 cents
    Doom of the Gods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that unless you have 3 or more MCs, it's better off taking smaller warriors...
    Because if you only take 1 or 2 tyrants...
    It's total lascannon bait, and will get shot down super quick.
    But if you take some fexes around, they'll add to the targets... and stuff will survive longer, provided that they split up their fire (a lot of people don't just put all their fire on one.. but instead take 1-2 wounds off 3 MCs a turn or so)

I'm going to try a warrior heavy army...
    I'm curious as to how it turns out too.

24 warriors total (1k army)... all in groups of 3.
    2 groups of HQ, with venom cannon/death spitters... maybe for anti tank or something.. depends on the game.
    3 groups of Elite, Leaping.. Scything/Rending
    3 Groups of Fast Attack, Winged... Scything/Rending...

Then 3 groups of 16 spine gaunts running up ahead to give a nice meatshield... Since they should be able to outrun the warriors... Or maybe give the gaunts scuttle if the points are extra, just to make sure they stay ahead...
    Or maybe 1 group of 32 spinegaunts, then like 10-16 hormas.... Not too sure on that part yet.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Leety
    I feel that unless you have 3 or more MCs, it's better off taking smaller warriors...
    Because if you only take 1 or 2 tyrants...
    It's total lascannon bait, and will get shot down super quick.
    But if you take some fexes around, they'll add to the targets... and stuff will survive longer, provided that they split up their fire (a lot of people don't just put all their fire on one.. but instead take 1-2 wounds off 3 MCs a turn or so)
    It's true enough. At 1000pts or less I tend to run a walking HT and a gunfex, and I move them alternately to cover each other and force the food's heavy guns to shoot them in turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Leety
    I'm going to try a warrior heavy army...
    I'm curious as to how it turns out too.

24 warriors total (1k army)... all in groups of 3.
    2 groups of HQ, with venom cannon/death spitters... maybe for anti tank or something.. depends on the game.
    3 groups of Elite, Leaping.. Scything/Rending
    3 Groups of Fast Attack, Winged... Scything/Rending...

Then 3 groups of 16 spine gaunts running up ahead to give a nice meatshield... Since they should be able to outrun the warriors... Or maybe give the gaunts scuttle if the points are extra, just to make sure they stay ahead...
    Or maybe 1 group of 32 spinegaunts, then like 10-16 hormas.... Not too sure on that part yet.
    I'd be tempted to run the warriors in larger broods - 4 or 6. Synapse coverage is not going to be a problem for you with so many of them, and the larger warrior broods will have greater power in attack and more wounds in defence.

I'd also go with the multiple broods of spinies, and perhaps 10-12 hormies.

What opponents do you expect to face, or is this an 'all comers' list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

I favor Zoanthropes over Warriors... not only are they relatively cheap and durable synapse, but their presence often draws fire away from the Hive Tyrants I tend to field, so even in small point games I rarely field a brood of Warriors.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I always think about the choice between warriors and zoanthropes because warriors can take objectives and zaonthropes can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthotep
    I'd be tempted to run the warriors in larger broods - 4 or 6. Synapse coverage is not going to be a problem for you with so many of them, and the larger warrior broods will have greater power in attack and more wounds in defence.
    Yeah, but that's also more wounds to get killed by...
    Like hmm...
    If a few heavy bolters open fire... Then all the wounds get carried over and stuff... but if there's only 6 wounds in the whole squad, the most that can die is 3...
    well...
    I dunno how to word that, lol.
    Hopefully you know what I mean ;/

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthotep
    What opponents do you expect to face, or is this an 'all comers' list?
    Not the slightest idea...
    I have a feeling 70-80% of the time it's SM of some sort

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Good point - I guess you can just assign multiple smaller squads to the same target. And you won't have a problem with slots, since you can toss warriors into 2 HQ, 3 elite and 3 FA if you need to.

+ Reply to Thread