Army: Celtic Wolfhounds [1957pts] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army: Celtic Wolfhounds [1957pts]

Good morning all,

Well after its first battle I am making some changes.
    What do ye all think? Comments/suggestions ?

On Battle day;
    This was against a Chaos Marines + Tyrannids force Vs Space Marines + Eldar.
    Both of us were very movable. SMs had a load of biks , Jetpacks and Skimmers.
    I missed shots with both my Prism and Falcon on 1st turn as I taught I was looking at a crater but it turned out it was a forest blocking my line of site.
    And we had first turn too .
    Result of 4 turns was SMs were over run by Tyrannids and my Eldar got meat grinded by Terminators from chaos. I did take out, actually disabled a Russ and a rinho. Had terrible dice rolls and he had some great Save rolls.

HQ []
    - Farseer []
    - Singing Spear []
    - Guide []
    - Fortune []+
    - Spirit Stone []
    - Warlocks []x2
    - WitchBlabe []
    - Shuriken Pistol []
    - Enhance []

Trps []
    - G. Defenders []x2 {5/unit}
    - StarCannon []
    - Warlock []
    - WitchBlabe []
    - Shuriken Pistol []
    - Conceal []

Elites []
    - WraithGuard () [35]x1 {5/Unit}
    - Warlock []
    - WitchBlabe []
    - Shuriken Pistol []
    - Enhance []
    - WaveSperpent []
    - TwinLinked Bright Lances []

- Fire Dragons () []x1 {10/Unit}
    - Plasma Grenades []
    - Exarch []
    - FirePike []
    - Tank Hunter []
    - WaveSperpent []
    - TwinLinked Bright Lances []

Heavy Support []
    - Falcon []
    - Spirit Stone []
    - HoloFields []
    - Bright Lance []

- Fire Prism []
    - Spirit Stone []
    - HoloFields []

- War Walker () []x1 {2/Unit}
    - Bright Lances [] x 2

Fast Attack []
    - Vypers []x2 {1/Unit}
    - StarCannon []

Ok so for Battle 2 heres the changes I am making to the above list;

Removed - The Farseers 2 bodyguard Warlocks and their powers.
    Removed - The Farseers powers: Spirit Stone & Fortune.
    Removed - The Prism and her upgrades.

Adding - Another War Walker.
    Adding - Dark Reaper unit of 5.
    Adding - G. Defenders, increasing the unit size from 5 to 8.

This should make the Army = [ 1996 pts]

What do ye think of the changes.
    I now hear from my spies that the Chaos army may not return but instead a Iron Warriors army will be heading my way.

If ya got this far thanks for reading .
    Deasun

Last edited by tirnaog; May 2nd, 2006 at 21:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Eldar commentators out there ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

OK, from what I can tell, you need to take off all the pts costs, except for the total cost for the unit. Everything else is Copyright violation.

Now to the army.

For one, you have a relatively low model count for such a high point total.

Your troops are very low in numbers. You might want to keep them at at least 10 models plus the two from the platform, plus the warlock. This gives 13 men squads whcih should be able to take a punch or two before falling.

If you plan on facing off against SM, or MEQs again, get more star cannons. I would swap the Bright Lances on your war walkers for Star Cannons.

Also ditch the extra powers on your Farseer and use him to guide the warwalkers.

To be unoriginal I would also get Banshees or Scorpions instead of Fire Dragons. Banhsees most likely, and put them in the Wave Serpent.

You've got a lot of Anti-tank with the TL-BL's on the Serpents, Also put a Star CAnnon on the falcon instead of the Bright Lance. The pulse laser is strong enough to punch out most armor, and the Star Cannon counts as a defensive weapon, so you get more shots off per round.

As for your own changes, getting another Walker is good. Trimming down the Farseer is good. Getting rid of the Prism is good. Leave off the reapers and beef up the G. squads.

I like the Wraithguard though don't use them. The avatar seems out of place with everything so shooty. Might want to ditch him for another Vyper, or some Warp spiders.

Hope this helps some. You can check my "OCD" army in the lists to see how I'm set up if you want. Might give you some ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the Reply.
    Have taken note of your comment on the Points copyright thingy.

I had a few Starcannons in the game but they sure didnt seem to be making a dent in things. I can swap them around as they cost the same as the Bright Lances.

In our games my experience with the Banshees has been dismel. They die way to fast it seems.

Brought in the reapers for more gun play. Hoping they will help keep the GDs around a bit too.

Was going for a Fast BFGs type army. Those I play against love jet packs, Bikes and Drop Pods. Though if I can keep moving and hit hard it might make a difference. Old army was much more H-t-H and I kept getting wiped. At least this time I made the Marines go "What the Hell! His got fire power".
    Dice rolling seems to be my crutch though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

What were you shooting at with the Star Cannons?

They won't punch out Heavy Tanks, but should smack the crud out of Marine squads. The exception is three Warwalkers firing 2 Star Cannons each ( while being Guided ). Thats 18 re-rollable shots. This could lay waste to tanks, tac-squads, etc. Just watch your lines of fire with them.

If you are going for fast and shooty, definitely get another Vyper.

You might try Scorpions instead of Banshees. Either way, with the Pods, packs, and bikes they are trying to dictate who gets the charge against any HtH units you have. Also, they are going to rush you, I'm assuming. In this instance, you need a good counter assault unit.

Only the Wraithguard seems capable of this in the current set-up, but I'm sure you want them as close to the enemy's main body as quick as you can get them there. In my Ulthwe army, I use my Wraithlords for counter-assault and general "don't go near my guardians" unit. So unless your Guardians squads are 15+ ( which is hard to get behind cover ) you probably want some type of defence for them.

Possibly a Wraithlord instead of the Reapers? It will fill out heavy support, and provide a leg up to your guardians. It moves just as fast as Guardians, can move and shoot like them, AND if the enemy assualts it, your guardians are stil free to fire and move away. If the other army makes leadership tests and assault the guardians, the Wraithlord can counter assault and lay waste to the inferior beings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agrew with darquewing but suggest that your guardians should at least be 10+ strong with 8 a single volly could kill them instead of dragons i would get scorps because they can stealth so you can getride of a wave serpent they can replace the dragons with the exarch strenght 9 and a 3+ save
    you might want want some d or vibro cannon for armor percing
    and get a second farseer instead of the avatar with mind of war cause you can single out leaders or waepons in a squad(kill the Dark Eldar portal career so they can't get them aout of the portal hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Wraithlord I had wanted but couldnt see where to put it. Using instead of the reapers is a thought!.
    You all definately gave me some thing to mull over.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread