Thoughts on the Death Leaper... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member The Liger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southeast England
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Thoughts on the Death Leaper...

    Well, Fall of Medusa V is rolling around, and with it comes new models and rules for us 'nids, the most notable one being the addition of the Death Leaper style Lictor. Rules for this guy can be found here, in the pdf pack for a campaign weekend. I assume he will be available for Tyranids throughout the campaign, and perhaps if we win we get to keep him!

    So what are we looking at for the Death Leaper? Basically, an upgraded lictor, though not that many points more. It plays basically the same way as a lictor, with a few differences. Firstly, it hits slightly harder, with +1 attack on the normal Lictor, so it can kill even more, and vehicles are even more vulnerable to it's wrath. It pays for this, however, with a lower save, so it's even more vulnerable to attacks back in combat. Perhaps this makes it too vulnerable, since now it takes double as many wounds as a normal lictor, assuming it's allowed a save. However, if you're lucky in combat, it should be ok, and survive, especially against weaker troops.

    However, it is the addition of the unsurpassed stealth rule that really makes this guy amazing. He can now deep strike anywhere, and still assault on that turn. With the addition of not getting destroyed by impassable terrain, he can now hit anywhere you want, and no enemy unit is safe. I think taking 3 is probably good, since you might as well go the whole hog, and depending on how many come down at a time, you can send them against weaker units or vehicles, or gang up on stronger units.

    What's great is that you can now take 3 lictors and 3 death leapers! Why not add a Broodlord for some infiltrating power, and what about some fast raveners, perhaps more deep striking, or some gargoyles! I may well take 3 DL and 3 Licts, even though it means only 1 slot for GS and warriors, it would be very themed, and quite good as well!

    So, what do people think of our new toy? Better or worse than the current lictor, and how many should be taken? Perhaps thoughts on the future of it, and whether we'll get to keep it after the campaign. I'm sure we definitely will if we win the campaign, so it's just another incentive, eh? Anyway, post away!

    Malekith's pet cat - "Puuurrrrrrrrr"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    LO Zealot Ostsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

    I think the Death Leaper is actually worse than the normal Lictor, simply due to "Unsurpassed Stealth". A normal Lictor is guaranteed to land within a certain area: the area terrain. This does limit where it can land, but its landings are much more precise. Unless the piece of area terrain is very large, it is unlikely that the Lictor will scatter very far. Furthermore, since it lands in terrain it is guaranteed a nicely boosted cover save.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

    --Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

    -Ostsol

  4. #3
    Member jackofasses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec (le puke)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -3 (x0)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Liger
    Well, Fall of Medusa V is rolling around, and with it comes new models and rules for us 'nids, the most notable one being the addition of the Death Leaper style Lictor. Rules for this guy can be found here, in the pdf pack for a campaign weekend. I assume he will be available for Tyranids throughout the campaign, and perhaps if we win we get to keep him!

    So what are we looking at for the Death Leaper? Basically, an upgraded lictor, though not that many points more. It plays basically the same way as a lictor, with a few differences. Firstly, it hits slightly harder, with +1 attack on the normal Lictor, so it can kill even more, and vehicles are even more vulnerable to it's wrath. It pays for this, however, with a lower save, so it's even more vulnerable to attacks back in combat. Perhaps this makes it too vulnerable, since now it takes double as many wounds as a normal lictor, assuming it's allowed a save. However, if you're lucky in combat, it should be ok, and survive, especially against weaker troops.

    However, it is the addition of the unsurpassed stealth rule that really makes this guy amazing. He can now deep strike anywhere, and still assault on that turn. With the addition of not getting destroyed by impassable terrain, he can now hit anywhere you want, and no enemy unit is safe. I think taking 3 is probably good, since you might as well go the whole hog, and depending on how many come down at a time, you can send them against weaker units or vehicles, or gang up on stronger units.

    What's great is that you can now take 3 lictors and 3 death leapers! Why not add a Broodlord for some infiltrating power, and what about some fast raveners, perhaps more deep striking, or some gargoyles! I may well take 3 DL and 3 Licts, even though it means only 1 slot for GS and warriors, it would be very themed, and quite good as well!

    So, what do people think of our new toy? Better or worse than the current lictor, and how many should be taken? Perhaps thoughts on the future of it, and whether we'll get to keep it after the campaign. I'm sure we definitely will if we win the campaign, so it's just another incentive, eh? Anyway, post away!
    From what I understood he was an 0-1 choice which means you can only ever take 1!

    Furthermore, yeah, his armor save is garabage BUT if you're in cityfight, and you can get a decent cover save he could be very useful. Keep in mind, the old lictor only got +1 added to his coversave in the old codex, in the new ones lictors get +2 in cover. so if you're in 4+ cover, you get a 2+ cover save. I know you'll more than likely die in one round of combat, so make it count. He should be a tank hunter anyway, tanks don't get return attacks in CC.

    Deepstrike behind the tank, hit it's rear armor (unless it's a land raider) and give it hell.

    Probably about the only use for him.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    5 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    I think the Death Leaper is actually worse than the normal Lictor, simply due to "Unsurpassed Stealth". A normal Lictor is guaranteed to land within a certain area: the area terrain. This does limit where it can land, but its landings are much more precise. Unless the piece of area terrain is very large, it is unlikely that the Lictor will scatter very far. Furthermore, since it lands in terrain it is guaranteed a nicely boosted cover save.
    True...but for 10 pts more and the ability to go where a normal Lictor can't....I think it has potential.

  6. #5
    Member jackofasses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Quebec (le puke)
    Age
    34
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    -3 (x0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Loestal
    True...but for 10 pts more and the ability to go where a normal Lictor can't....I think it has potential.
    I agree, as posted above they would be great at tank hunting (except for anything with armor value higher than 12) and as he can deepstrike outside of terrain he could get a tank nowhere near terrain pieces. He could also be valuable at killing independent characters. Again, he is slightly riskier as you would virtually have to deepstrike RIGHT next to him and hope you don't scatter ONTO him. Otherwise you would risk scattering out of assault zone, and then you're done.

  7. #6
    LO Zealot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

    Not being able to leave the terrain is a great feature of the lictor, as almost all vehicles will be sitting next to terrain anyway to prevent them from being shot by anywhere on the board. Typically they have their side or rear armor next to the terrain, also, to prevent shots at the weaker armor.

    And then with the lictor deep strike into terrain only, you can place him on the very very edge of the terrain so that if the scatter die doesn't roll a direct hit, 50% of the directions will still "hit" because his base can't leave the terrain. This allows you to try to land him close to your target with a much smaller chance to scatter onto a model and die as opposed to a death leaper which will be able to leave the terrain piece (and also possibly scatter outside of the assault range leaving him very hosed).

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    12 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ostsol
    I think the Death Leaper is actually worse than the normal Lictor, simply due to "Unsurpassed Stealth". A normal Lictor is guaranteed to land within a certain area: the area terrain. This does limit where it can land, but its landings are much more precise. Unless the piece of area terrain is very large, it is unlikely that the Lictor will scatter very far. Furthermore, since it lands in terrain it is guaranteed a nicely boosted cover save.
    That's an interesting point.

    The wording on his rules says "in all regards a regular Lictor except..."

    So to me, that would mean if he Deep Striked INTO TERRAIN he would not drift off of it, but if you Deep Stuck him into non-terrain he would drift as normal.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    We'll all just have to wait until he has new rules thanks to the upcoming campagian (spelling).
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

    Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

  10. #9
    Supreme Evil Overlord Dreachon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

    If there are gonna be new rules that is.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    Taking one point of armor save and giving him an extra attack is a bad trade in my opinion. The special deep strike rules out of cover may be more of a liability as apposed to a benefit and costing you 10 more points at that. Lictors are already pretty fragile, what they did was create a very hard hitting paper Lictor. They should have named him One Hit Wonder as apposed to Death Leaper. If he can’t get the hell out of dodge after his first attack he is toast and that is just assuming he does not deep strike and scatter out in the open or out of charge range. High liability on a 90 point model but what the hell I’m going to use him anyway just because I like the model and the stress Lictors cause opponents during deployment. Not the best reasons to take a One Hit Wonder but I’ll give the little spiky fella a shot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts