Haemonculi effectiveness? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haemonculi effectiveness?

I recently used 2 Haemonculi in a small 500 point game against Chaos Space Marines and I really don't see the point of having them over a Dracon/Dracite. Are they used only when more than one Grotesque squad is being played? I can see no other reason considering they have the basic Ld 8 and cost 35-45 points (Scissorhand, Stinger/Destructor). It was difficult for me to make up the points spent on them.

On a side note, do I roll a die for each model hit with the destructor to determine AP value? Say for instance I hit 4 marines, would the AP value vary between each model?

"One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" -Stalin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

There are a couple different roles I use a Haemy for:

1. As an IC that will carry a web way portal either running on his own or behind a warrior screen.

2. As a squad leader of a Grot squad - of course this squad works as a shock troop against non-fearless armies. The Haemy guides them and adds a few extra wounds in cc if you're going for the auto-fall back.

3. As support to a raider squad - I have made lists of a basic raider squad but the raider and the sybarite have pinning weapons, the Haemy is to use the destructor. Idea is to pin the enemy and STAY out of CC and rapid fire and flame them to death (and only cc when the time is right). In this set-up I give him haywires and he can break from the squad and do that suicide haywire to a vehical.

4. In covens (no lords or wyches) I usually outfit one with a shadowfield and the WWP - in this army I am running 5+ Haemy's and there is one in every raider squad and grot squad. I try to stay shooty with this list believe it or not but it is still very experiemental (of course, if the enemy is fearless then I'm in trouble). So far I am 2 for 2 using a Coven list.

5. Haemy in a raider of wyches - I havent tried this yet but I think if done right, this haemy could give the wyches that extra "umph" in the shooting before the charge to make a difference. I find wyches by themselves as a tie-up unit that takes a while to win in cc. I outfit my wyches with blasters and with a destructor in the mix I bet I could kill enough before the charge to actually push the unit over that proverbial hill - into a stand alone cc unit. Yes, I think wyches need support. They are great on the charge but seem to coast afterwards - maybe 3 extra scissor hand attacks would help.

But I dont think that Haemys are a game breaker unit, dont expect much from them. Expect them to fire only once and die quickly in CC - in other words, they are situational (random) character that can fulfill perhaps one simple role: deploy a portal, get a good destructor shot off, lead a grot squad or try a haywire attack. Thats all really.

In my opinion of course, at least thats how I use them and yes you are correct about how to determine the AP of a destructor. 4 hits, roll for wounds then roll a die for each wound made. So if 4 hit and 4 wound then roll 4 die and that will be the AP (and prey for 3 or less!)
    Last edited by KwiKwag; May 7th, 2006 at 07:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot KwiKwag, you have some great ideas that I might try out in the near future. The destructor is a funny little gun, rolling lower is actually better for once! :wacko:
    "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" -Stalin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Ryan
    Thanks a lot KwiKwag, you have some great ideas that I might try out in the near future. The destructor is a funny little gun, rolling lower is actually better for once! :wacko:
    Yah, sometimes I think too much and plan out squads in some sort of special role only to find out that the situation rarely happens.

I am now thinking of adding slave snares to my raider squads raider. I think it would be a hoot to pin them with the horrorfex one turn then run them over with snares and then fire the horrorfex again and see if I can snare as many prisoners as possible. I usually find that coming out of the portal I can get real close to the enemy.

Oh, I almost forgot one more important role I use the haemy with.

6. When making a CC orientated reaver squad I like to put a haemy on a reaver and put him in with a reaver lord and squad. Again, firing the destructor before the charge and having a T5 character with 4 scissor hand attacks on the charge is nice. With him as well I give him haywires, so the reaver squad with 2 blasters and a haemy with haywires can possible do some damage to vehicals be he is a backup manuver if the blasters dont work. To date, I havent used this setup much but it looks good on paper. Last time I used it a squad of destroyers just toasted the entire squad on the first turn, darn necrons.

Remember, these are only suggestions and ideas - I am not saying that this is the only way to use them but rather this is how I use them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As noted above, I use them to hold onto the wwps. I have two in my army list. It is nice for the wwp carrier to be an I.C. I always keep a squad closer to the enemy, so that they can't be shot at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I use mine in CItyfights as per Kwikwag's point no. 3: attached to a raider squad, but I only give them a destructor. It's not hard to make up 30 points with a no cover save weapon in cityfight. You only run that unit against regular troops anyway.

When using the snares a sybarite with terrorfex is good insurance. Pinning that squad is pretty key. I have only used the twice but found they were only partially useful against termagaunts (I took 3 slaves from 16 gaunts) and mostly useless againt Necrons (I took 2 slaves from 12 Crons who just teleported out of the snares with We'll be Back).
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Hamonculi isnt a tide turning unit, but when it comes to facing Harlequins, they are your best friends. With a destructor at hand they can do some serious dmage to Harlequin unit, since they ignore the holo field and easily nail those expensive troops

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"with a destructor at hand they can do some serious dmage to Harlequin unit, since they ignore the holo field and easily nail those expensive troops"

You play Harlies that often? I use a Wyche Cult now so my Haemies are useles to me now and as far as wyche squads go a succubus w/ agoniser is plenty of punch.

When I used Haemies they carried the wwp and I also used Haemonculi on foot that deployed with a unit of Grotesques or accompanying a Warrior squad in a Raider.

It is nice to remember that they can be grouped in threes as an HQ choice and for their price have pretty good stats. Destructors seem to be most peoples weapon of choice over te scissorhands ( which easily wound, btw ).

Now I've heard some people put a group on reavers and let them loose as a flanking unit but I've never tried that option out.
    Last edited by bebe; May 9th, 2006 at 05:18.

+ Reply to Thread