Good weapons against 'nids? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Good weapons against 'nids?

I've been trying to make a 1000-1200 point list whose purpose would mostly be to combat Tyranids, and I'm having trouble choosing weapons for battlesuits... it seems missile pod and burst canon would be the best idea, but I've also thought of burst canon and flamer. Would any of the special issue weapons be especially good? I'm used to playing SM's and nercs so haven't really tried them... And what about equiping suits with Burst Canon, Missile Pod, and Flamer?

Also, do you think I should go with my regular 1 ionhead and 1 railhead setup, or two railheads?

Last edited by The Salmon Thief; May 8th, 2006 at 04:19.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main opponent is 'Nids. Yay, I can finally help! Go with the Burst Cannon and Missile Pod. It's what I use and it works really well. You don't want them to get close enough to have to use a flamer. I also used the CIB and AFP as both worked AMAZING against them. Took out 3 Genestealers and a Warrior with just the CIB. You must take it! The AFP killed a few Genestealers hiding in a forest. Two Railheads as their Submunitions is god in killing Tyranids. Hope that helped!
    "Politicians don't actually lie, they tell the truth in their own words."
    - Mr. P.

Vengeance SM Chapter
    Commander
    5x Assault Marines
    10-man Tactical Squad
    10-man Tactical Squad
    10-man Tactical Squad
    Razorback
    Devastator Squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas’O Vior’la Kais Or’es
    My main opponent is 'Nids. Yay, I can finally help! Go with the Burst Cannon and Missile Pod. It's what I use and it works really well. You don't want them to get close enough to have to use a flamer. I also used the CIB and AFP as both worked AMAZING against them. Took out 3 Genestealers and a Warrior with just the CIB. You must take it! The AFP killed a few Genestealers hiding in a forest. Two Railheads as their Submunitions is god in killing Tyranids. Hope that helped!
    Wonderful ^^

So then, I'll put burst canon and missile pod (possibly twin-linked? I would usually use the third slot for targeting array but against nids it's not that necessary) on the suits and take two railheads...

Would you recommend putting the CIB and AFP on a commander, spread them out?
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

As a tyranid player, I'll advise you on what you face from the "other side".

Tyranid hormagaunts, which are the small, scythe wielding gaunts, are more than a match for just about everything you have. They'll hit faster and more accurately at you, the only snip being that they hit as hard as a normal human, unless given an upgrade. These are also cheap.

Other gaunts are usually fielded in either termagaunt or spinegaunt numbers. Spinegaunts are slightly cheaper, have twin-linked weapons, and, like all shooty gaunts, are a match for you in CC. Termagaunts will hit less, but when they do, you'll feel it as they'll hit with higher strength than spinegaunts and they get to reroll wounds.

Genestealers are a favorite amongst tyranid players, especially the all-genestealer army. However, if someone brings an army of genestealers against you, smack them as it is total overkill as hormgaunts will usually eat Tau up faster. Keep in mind that they can have some nasty upgrades, including scuttlers for a nice first turn assault. Also, if a vehicle gets assaulted by more than four genestealers, you can pretty much write the vehicle off. However, it might be in your best interest to disengage your vehicle and move it to another flank.

Those are just basic troops. You can expect at least two dozen or more of those.

Next up the chain are warriors and zoanthropes. Warriors can be very nasty. If they're close combat, you can basically treat them as genestealers. However, if they are ranged, be afraid. A venom cannon can be strength 7 with warriors. A barbed strangler can be strength 4, but drops a LARGE blast template and is AP4. Oh, and it pins. Oh, and it has the longest range in the tyranid list. However, only one heavy weapon is allowed per squad. Either stay more than 24" away or expect either multiple blast templates or lots and lots of shots per round.

Zoanthropes are much, MUCH worse than warriors. They're cheap, they have an awesome (for tyranids) saves, and they have a little something called warp blast. Warp blast is a marine killer weapon. The normal version drops blast templates that are enough to ignore the armor saves of regular marines. The super version of it will instant kill anything that can be instantly killed. And only invulnerable saves can be used.

Now, the worst things. Monstrous creatures. Fear these. Fear them especially if they're armed with ranged weapons. Basically, imagine them as warriors. Except that they'll usually have strength 8 or higher. Including those large blast templates. Oh, you'll occaisionally see strength 5 or 6. Of course, those weapons will probably be twin-linked and re-roll to wound. Ain't it great?

Oh, and there are several other things to worry about. Like lictors deepstriking into terrain and being able to assault your vehicles. Or squads. And biovores, that can shoot indirectly with mines. That stay if they don't explode. And can move into you in subsequent turns. Oh, and raveners that count as beasts. And get 5 rending attacks on the charge. They can deepstrike too.

Now, here's what I recommend--get as many hard hitting, area-effect template blasts as you can. The gaunts will hardly ever get a save, but genestealers will have tougher armor. Warriors too. I really don't think there's a way to keep them from getting into close combat with you, and, face it, Tau are really, really horrible in close combat. I've seen a half-strength hormagaunt squad bring down two suits and a drone squad.

However, the thing about tyranids is that they're amazingly fast in the troops, but zoanthropes, warriors, tyrants, and carnifexes move as regular troops. Now, I recommend taking as many suits as you can, give them as many hard hitting AP2 or 3 weapons, make sure they have high strength. Take those suits and deepstrike the monstrous creatures. This will disrupt the battlelines and IF you're lucky, you'll take out one or two of them before the next turn, they turn around and blast and assault your suits into oblivion.

I don't really recommend kroot. I'd suggest more firewarriors as they really won't help you when the gaunts hit your lines. If you can, only spend two turns firing at the gaunts IF you get first turn. If you get second, odds are you'll only get one turn to shoot at them. After that, go for warriors or smaller creatures with your warriors and go after zoans or carnifexes.

So, good luck. I'd like to hear if ya win.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

If I were you it might be a good idea to bring just one ion-head to take down TMC as in your going to need more then one shot a turn to kill them from a railgun (that is if you dont already have a ton in your army already). Plus you'll have some extra points to move around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...I'd suggest 2 Railheads, 3 full squads of FWs, and about 4 Fireknife or Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster suits. Flamers are a waste, since you will very rarely be able to fire them before Tyranids charge you.

The 2 Railheads do genestealer-killing duty. They also effective obliterate any swarms, and are unbelivably effective against Ripper Swarms. For every wound, remove 2 bases. Ouch.

The large squads of Firewarriors are half-bait, half-sweep-the-field-of-enemy-swarms. Don't expect them to live.

The Fireknife or (preferrably) Plasma/Fusion Suits cut through the large bugs. Tyranids have a 6+ invulnerable save at best. Take advantage of it! If you need more large-bug killing, then use the Railhead's solid shots.

Personally, I think this covers all the bases. Definately grab Flechette Dischargers on the Heads. There are probably much better army lists, but this is an honest, simply army that I would field if I knew I was facing 'Nids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989
    If I were you it might be a good idea to bring just one ion-head to take down TMC as in your going to need more then one shot a turn to kill them from a railgun (that is if you dont already have a ton in your army already). Plus you'll have some extra points to move around.
    Against tyranids, HH railguns should be using the submunition every turn without question. Crisis suits are better for hunting the bigger 'nids. Ionheads are not a good idea against tyranids, railheads are much more effective.

Flechette dischargers are a great idea. But never take a flamer. You won't be able to kill enough and you will be assaulted next turn.

Stealth suits are good bug killers also, they have a large number of shots. I use targeting array on my team. 18 shots hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s or 3s is awesome.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau are the ultimate in nid killing forces
    i advise three things for fighting nids.

fire warriors.
    Role - gaunt killers
    any kind of gaunt, termagaunts hormagaunts gargoyles and genestealers FW are supurb for eliminating gaunt squads
    Several squads of these at least three if you can fit it in take 4. Leave the carbines at home get the extra 12 inches for your pulse rifles as any decent tyranid player wont need to ever take a pinning test. Give your shasui marker lights and target locks for your crisis teams

Crisis teams with plasma rifles and missile pods and multi trackers.
    Role - medium gribbly killers.
    Warriors, thropes, biovores, use your crisis cuits to take these guys out but watch out for flying and leaping gits. Plasma rifles and missile pods are great for knocking out those multi wound monsters especially if you can rapid fire with them. thats 6 strength seven blasts and 6 strength six. that can do a lot of damage, id suggest at least two teams of them. Just remember to keep well away from everything hormagaunts can charge 18", you dont want that happening

Railguns.
    Role - big gribbly killers
    Tyrants, these are one of teh most feared Hqs in the game, however a few well placed railshots will take it out nicely. You cant insta kill it as most tyrants are at least toughness 6 and more however you will wound it on a 2 without an armour save. With a marker light or two you can hit on 2 wound on 2. The other problem are fex's these are very scary but they are also slow in comparsson to other nids. Fex's fear factor are overrated, they are horrible yes but the fact that they take awhile to get across to you means it gives you time to eliminate the other monsters in a Nid army.
    Two sets one on a hammerhead and others on a broadside team. The broadside are for the tyrants and fex's the hammerheads role is multi functional, its sub round can butcher small gaunt swarms and it can also take wounds of bigger monsters as well

Stealth teams with their burst cannons can also be useful for elimating gaunt swarms just be careful with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this guy gonna have Monstrous Creatures or is it a complete horde list? If horde then use the Burst Cannon/ Missile Pod with a Multi-tracker. If MC then go Plasma Rifle/ Missile Pod with Multi-tracker. I did not have to worry about the big guys in my game. Just 30 genestealers and 8 warriors on a 4x4 board. Just..........
    "Politicians don't actually lie, they tell the truth in their own words."
    - Mr. P.

Vengeance SM Chapter
    Commander
    5x Assault Marines
    10-man Tactical Squad
    10-man Tactical Squad
    10-man Tactical Squad
    Razorback
    Devastator Squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadre_of_storms
    Railguns.
    Role - big gribbly killers
    Tyrants, these are one of teh most feared Hqs in the game, however a few well placed railshots will take it out nicely. You cant insta kill it as most tyrants are at least toughness 6 and more however you will wound it on a 2 without an armour save. With a marker light or two you can hit on 2 wound on 2. The other problem are fex's these are very scary but they are also slow in comparsson to other nids. Fex's fear factor are overrated, they are horrible yes but the fact that they take awhile to get across to you means it gives you time to eliminate the other monsters in a Nid army.
    Two sets one on a hammerhead and others on a broadside team. The broadside are for the tyrants and fex's the hammerheads role is multi functional, its sub round can butcher small gaunt swarms and it can also take wounds of bigger monsters as well

Stealth teams with their burst cannons can also be useful for elimating gaunt swarms just be careful with them.
    The Railgun needs more shots to take care of a Monstrous Creature. Say you hit every time and wounded every time (not hard to do with what you are saying). You would still be spending around 160pts to kill a Tyrant that costs almost the same, and it would take 4 turns (4 wounds, sometimes 5), IF they don't have regeneration. That is in the perfect scenario you always get line of sight, don't get shot down, etc. I'd rather have my rediculously cheap (points) Hammerhead gunning down something worth its points. And I'd rather have it kill it quickly. True, those big bugs are slow. But gun-fexes are some of the most devastating creatures in the game, and rival Tau's ability to shoot.

In a 1000 points (which is what he is playing), a 'Nid player could easily fit in 3 or more Monstrous Creatures. Your FWs would be almost useless. Your Missile Pods would simply bounce off. Plus, those monstrous creatures pack the most punch. Helios suits (plasma/fusion) would score a wound aproximately 75% of the time against a Monstrous Creature (within 12"), and then jump back 6". Winged Tyrants (thank god there can be only 1) would need to be countered by softening it with a Railgun or two, and then a squad of Helios that go all-or-nothing. These Helios suits cost almost a 1/3 of the Monstrous Creature's points. 3 of them (almost the same points...may a bit more) score at least 2 wounds against it every turn as long as it is in range (statistically).

Soften the rest of the force up with submunition, firewarrior shots, etc., then send the Helioses (or Deepstrike them...though I'd rather have them be able to jump back after they fire) to kill those big bugs that remain. I still stand by an all-comers anti-'Nids list (either swarm or Monstrous Creatures) of 4 Helios Suits, 3 full FW squads, and 2 Railheads. It covers everything, and fits kindly into 1k points.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast