Do SM tanks stand a chance? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do SM tanks stand a chance?

Hello Bugs,
    I am Space Marine player and recently got DESTROYED by a Nid player with three Biovores. He was using the Acid mines and totally thrashed me, so I was left with a couple questions, I hoped you all could help with.

1) Do you do not have to aim Biovores (aka use BS),or just place mine and scatter?
    2) Do Acid Mines use the Flamer template?
    3) With three Biovores on the table should I just leave my Dreadnoughts and Predator at home because even with scatter, they will be hit every turn.
    4) Is the Acid mine really Strength + 3 + 2D6 to penetrate vehicle armour?
    5) Is it common to do heavy damage with Biovores (Acid Mines) or did he just get really lucky?

Thanks for all the help, I am new to facing Nids and wanted to see if my Biovore trouble was my fault, or if they are just really strong. BoS.

Last edited by BringerOfStorms; May 10th, 2006 at 21:37.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Place a mine and scatter, yes... no BS skill required.
    2) Nah, they use a small blast template
    3) Well.. you can go shorthanded on points.. or you can use them.. :p the acid mines will just eat away your power armor (AP 3), so I'd prefer them shooting my tanks :>
    4) *edit* misread your post.. Acid mines aren't strength + 3 + 2D6, they're 3+2D6... (I'm assuming you meant strength of the biovore + 3 + 2D6, which it is not)
    5) Ehh... So-So... he probably got really lucky if it made you this upset. But with 3 acid mines, who knows... AP 9 average roll... one middle, one high, one low... But if he's only killing a dread and a pred... not hard probably. Acid mines are tricky though.. because they scatter for one, then the flamer direction is random as well... so... ;/ But then again, if he was rolling 4+3+2D6 for armor pen like you make it seem... that's overpowered :]
    Last edited by Leety; May 10th, 2006 at 20:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO!! I want to congratulate that Tyranid player.:yes:
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biovores have barrage weapons, so no, you don't use BS. Just as with a battle cannon or a basilisk, you place and scatter. However, if fired indirectly, the mines will scatter the highest of 2D6.

Acid Mines no longer use the flamer template. In 4th edition, all mines use the small blast template.

I dunno why you say this, acid mines aren't too terribly good at hitting what they need to and against predator armor they'll have a tough time penetrating.

No, the acid mine is just 3+2D6. The three included already represents the strength of the acid mine.

I think he's either A) playing them wrong or getting really lucky. Spore mine rules were written really, really poorly. First of all, biovores are a single unit. You can have 3 as a single heavy support choice, but they are deployed and act as a singly unit. This means they fire at the same target using the multiple barrage rules in the BBB. This already makes them poor at taking out vehicles, because typically only one mine will actually hit head on, if that. Also, a common mistake is that for each biovore in the brood, each biovore fires that many spore mines. (ie. one biovore fires one mine, 2 will fire 4, and 3 will fire 9). GW just used a poor way of wording that each biovore only gets to shoot one mine. So if he was firing 9-mine barrages at you, that is wrong.

I may be mistaken on some of this, so a second opinion would be good, but I don't think spore mines should be scaring you this much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akthomas89
    I may be mistaken on some of this, so a second opinion would be good, but I don't think spore mines should be scaring you this much.
    Yeah, biovores were toned down a lot I think.
    They use to be semi-beastly before :]
    Now they're not all that great ;/
    I don't even worry about them that much when I play against other 'nids... Not like I use to worry about them anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if I got this right it should look like this...

1) place one mine, then scatter that one and place the other two mines next to it.
    2) small blast templates NOT flamer templates
    3) Dreads and Predator should be okay vs. 3+2D6 strength mines most of the time, so still okay to bring em.
    4) Biovores are okay, but ususally do not take over as the monster bad ass unit for Tyranids.

Thanks so much for the help guys, I really appreciate you helping out a crummy 'ol space marine player like myself. If I got any of the above wrong, lemme know. Thanks again for all the assistance. BoS

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

< 1)you do not have to aim Biovores (aka use BS), just place mine and scatter?
    2) Do Acid Mines use the Flamer template?
    3) With three Biovores on the table should I just leave my Dreadnoughts and Predator at home because even with scatter, they will be hit every turn.
    4) Is the Acid mine really Strength + 3 + 2D6 to penetrate vehicle armour?
    5) Is it common to do heavy damage with Biovores (Acid Mines) or did he just get really lucky?>

ok heres the second opinion =).

1.no BS needed just place and scatter
    2. small template not flamer however you will use 1 small template per mine in the cluster
    3. a correction to someone earlier 3+ 2d6 is average 10 AP not 9AP small diffrence but it isnt hard for a cluster to hit back armor if the cluster's first mine dosent scatter
    4. ehh i anwsered this in #3 =)
    5.eh also anwsered in #3 =) the most common # rolled will be 10 on the penetration roll however its 3+<2d6> per mine in the cluster so it wouldnt be unreasonable to think they might get a 12 or 13. plus the chance to get atleast 1 mine on back armor

ahh i made a mistake the direction of the blast will come from the biovore NOT the scattered mine like i said .. you only get a chance for back armor if you use the spore mines as a fast attack choice NOT if they are fired by a biovore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot Dragon

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dragon252
    a correction to someone earlier 3+ 2d6 is average 10 AP not 9AP
    Ahh right, thanks.
    Forgot you can't roll a 1 on 2D6 :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dragon252
    ahh i made a mistake the direction of the blast will come from the biovore NOT the scattered mine like i said .. you only get a chance for back armor if you use the spore mines as a fast attack choice NOT if they are fired by a biovore.
    You sure? I thought that rule only applied to template weapons using direct fire instead of barrage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast