Welcome to Librarium Online!
I found this really cool painting schem for the Necrons, from Games-Workshop.com. give me some feed back. the pictures didn't really make it so if you want to see them click here
Construction of the Necron was going pretty well. I had put together the torso and attached the legs to the base. After that had dried, I put the head on the torso and added sand and small rocks to the base. Then came the arms. This is where I had a little accident. While applying glue to one of the armholes in the torso, a rogue drop of glue fell on the spine of my Warrior. Because I spent too much time running around and cursing, some minor damage was done before I could remove the plastic-dissolving glue. Although this would later play into the theme of the model, there would be no Golden Demon this day.
I'm usually a little heavy-handed when it comes to applying primer to my naked soldiers but this day would be the exception. A near perfect application of black paint; just a few spots to touch up on the front ("Don't get ****y, kid." I thought!). Much to my chagrin, I accidentally grabbed an unshaken can of spray paint and proceeded to add fuzzy black paint to the front of my Necron. Things were not going my way!
It was at this point that I decided that this Necron would be the first of my Rusted Legion. The alloys used in the creation of the Rusted Legion have not held up over the years, and corrosion has formed on the majority of the soldiers. A complete coat of watered-down Boltgun Metal over the black base would be the first step in this transformation.
After the Boltgun Metal had dried, a quick coat of Brown Ink was splashed over the entire shiny model. The rocky base of the model got a coat of Scorched Brown to start it on its way.
Time to apply some metal on top of this rusty shell! Removing paint from my brush as if I were about to drybrush, I instead began to dab minuscule amounts of Boltgun Metal all over the Warrior. After 5 minutes of this process, the Necron looked about 50% metal and 50% rust. A nice mix, if you ask me! Before moving on to the next step of the process, the base got lighter and lighter drybrushes of Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather, and Bleached Bone, respectively.
Time for some details! The eyes, tubes, wires, chest insignia, and torso grooves got the same painting treatment. Starting with a base of Dark Angel Green, raised areas were highlighted in lighter greens; Goblin Green at first, and Scorpion Green on more exposed areas.
In total, this Necron Warrior took me less than 30 minutes to manufacture and fully paint. If I had an assembly line going, it would take even less time per model. The potentially disastrous mistakes, the fuzzy primer and the accidental glue drop, actually gave the weathered model a bit more character. The spine ended up looking worn and gummed up with lubricant while the front of the model has a bubbly look that I've often seen on poorly maintained cars and trucks.