could someone teach me how to make an effective tau army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could someone teach me how to make an effective tau army?

i am just starting to play warhammer and was wondering if anyone could help me out and teach me how to make a good army. it would be very much appreciated. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

It really depends who you are fighting.

If you are playing against lots of Marine armies, it's advised you should get at least 1 squad of Crisis suits with a Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster combo. At 12 inches, these mean death to any Space Marines.

A hammerhead is almost mandatory for any Tau army. If you have one of these, any tanks your opponent brings are pretty much dead.

You would also want a decent firebase of Fire Warriors. I go with 3 squads of 8. That gives me decent firepower at a cheap price, and I back them up with a team of Stealth Suits, to give some extra punch. Only a few Stealth Suits can give more firepower than a squad of Fire Warriors. They are really useful.

It's a good idea to take a Crisis Suit commander on his own with Anti-Space Marine firepower. If you then take 2 teams of Crisis Suits, one with the Plasma-Rifle/Fusion blaster combo, and another equipped for, say, taking out hordes (Burst Cannon and Missile Pod), backed up by a 3 man stealth team, 3 squads of Fire Warriors, a Hammerhead, and maybe a Broadside if you're worried about an army with lots of Tanks.

That's a strong and efficient static firepower army.

You could do a Mechanised Tau army, but I'll let someone else go in to that.

Hope that Helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I'll gladly expand on the mech army:

The idea here is to dominate both the movement and the shooting phases of combat (leave the assault phase to your opponent as he'll win that part anyways). The idea is also not to kill everything in site, but is about denying your opponent's ability to kill you stuff my moving alot and hiding. That being said:

A mech force has units that can move at least 12" a turn and still fire somewhere in there; so Crisis Suits are good, as are tau in devilfish transports, pathfinders in transports, gun drone squadrons, piranhas, hammerheads, skyrays.... you get the idea. Anyway, You'll have way less models than your enemy (most likely) but you'll also be more mobile (not necessarily faster) and you'll be able to apply your firepower where you want, not where your opponent wants you to.

Planning my army: a couple of hammerheads/skyrays (180 pt layout or so) for killing tanks, crisis suits for killing elite troops and light vehicles, and troops for killing troops. Thats pretty much how I plan. I pick a primary role for each unit to do (and do well), and then I have a secondary role for each unit (the hammerhead can kill light infantry with its submunition round, but it's better at killing tanks). What those roles are depend on how you play. I also try to plan to get overlap in my weapon ranges and uses for each unit as the Tau army is all about mutual support and overwhelming firepower (destroy the most dangerous unit, move to the next one).

Basically, you have mech tau, static tau, and a hybrid version somewhere between the two that most people seem to play. The difference is like the description in the old codex between the patient hunter (let your quarry come to you) or the aggressive hunter (go get the quarry). Both are really fun to play. I lean towards Mech tau because of my Black templar background of taking it to your enemy. And I would rather be more the attacker than the defender.

But you need to plan on, first, how you want to fight, and second, what units to use to fight like that. Be prepared to lose a lot at first. It's all part of learning the game. When you get a hang of it, I strongly suggest switching with an opponent and using his army against your Tau. You'll learn instantly where your weaknesses are, and what you have to do to fix them.

Anyway, this was long and not specific, I know, but I don't think posting lists will help you at this point. Try looking through some of the lists here to get an idea for what most people play, and try some other sites as well (google tau & 40K or tactics and see what comes up). Then proxy some units in a game if you can to see what you like. Then go buy like crazy and paint like crazy. I don't think I helped a whole lot, but if you have questions that are more specific, please don't be afraid to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you both for your posts. they helped me out quite a bit. i have decided to attempt a static tau army. i will post it for advice when i have it together. thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

There are 2 types of cookie cutter lists.

Shas'el - plasma, missile, array, multi 97

3 Crisis 215
    - team leader, plasma, missile, array, multi, 2 shield drones
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked missile, bsf
    3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf
    3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf

6 Fire Warriors 60
    10 Kroot 70

Railhead - sms, decoys, multi, lock, pod 185

Models: 36
    Total: 1500

3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf
    3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf
    6 Stealths 180

6 Fire Warriors - shas'ui, markerlight 80
    10 Kroot 70

2 Broadsides - ASS, team leader, 2 shield drones, target lock 200

Models: 40
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Onlainari what the $%^& is that?
    Twin-Linked flamers and a BSF? Why?

Look, that's great if you want to present your side of things but I would not consider that a"cookie-cutter" list. A cookie cutter list suggests a basic standard to work off of that virtually no one is going to complain about aside from the fact that it is cookie cutter.

I even LIKE twin-linked flamers and I wouldn't suggest it to a new-guy asking for general advice, it's a rather advanced gamble on the part of the player to get such an expensive model to that range.
    Last edited by Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon; May 24th, 2006 at 08:46.
    Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol? coockie cutter? more like brownie mold! (bad analogy, i know...)

hey, in the codex on page 22 the have some preety standard lists... i wouldent sugest em, but their all arround, so i suggest em...
    Tau'cena Intercept Legion W2-L4-D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Just to add some quick thoughts to the above:

You should plan on weapons that cover all your major types of opponents-

weapons that get lots of shots off to kill unarmoured hordes

weapons with a low AP to kill off Power Armour

weapons with a strength of 7-8 to kill light vehicles

weapons with a strength of 9-10 to kill heavy vehicles

Make sure you've got at least one of each of these, preferably more. Tau have a lot of flexibility in their weapons so you can get weapons for these roles in a lot of different ways without getting the same list as someone else. Your Crisis Suits, for example, should be used to fill in whatever weapons you aren't getting elsewhere.

A good list in 40K is less about taking the right units and more about taking the right combinations of units that fit into your plans. Especially with Tau, there's no game-winner unit that you must have (even if the Hammerhead *looks* that way.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[[[ Hi, this is my list, and it may bore some, but had won me many battles;

Shas'O SG/PR/MPHWMT/Irridium Armor.

Shas'El SG/FB/PR/HWMT

Crisis team 2x fireknives

Crisis team 2x fireknives

Crisis team 2x Fireknives(or whatever you like)

Firewarrior Team in devilfish(SMS/MT/TA/DL/DP)

Railhead x 2 RG/SMS/DL/DP/MT/TL/

Ionhead IC/SMS/MT/TL/DP/DL/

But a list also needs timing and tactics so that you time when you slam a target with the right weapons and units!
    Active Mech-Tau Player and am on ATT/Warseer/TO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari
    There are 2 types of cookie cutter lists.

3 Crisis 215
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked missile, bsf
    3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf
    3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf

6 Fire Warriors 60
    10 Kroot 70

Models: 36

3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf
    3 Crisis 203
    -plasma, missile, multi
    -twinlinked flamer, bsf
    6 Stealths 180

6 Fire Warriors - shas'ui, markerlight 80
    10 Kroot 70

2 Broadsides - ASS, team leader, 2 shield drones, target lock 200

Models: 40
    First things first just what the hell is a cookie cutter list?

Oni these lists have a lot wrong with them, crisis teams are not a good idea especially with flamers (twin linked or not), broadsides dont fit into a mobile list, the model count is to small and will not soak up casualties, the 6 fire warriors is a trend started on another forum and is in my opinion a very bad idea, it supposedly is based on the erroneous assumption that FW are bad performers and hold lists back and stealths are superior.
    Dont really know whats going on with you Oni, I have a feeling that these lists and the 'ignore this list' post in the forum is some sort of piss take or you are trying to prove some sort of point, maybe you should clue us up Oni, as it stands this person is asking for advice on making a Tau list and your post is not helping him/her.

The best way to make any list to start with is:

1 Buy the codex and study it.

2 Buy the main rule book (or lend it) and again study it.

3 Core units, I would buy the £50 army box, a box of FWarriors, 2 XV8's and a Hammerhead with this you will have around a 1000pts of Tau.
    You will need a good HQ, if your new use a Plasma/Missile pod and multi,(fireknife) this allows you to use range to keep your HQ XV8 safe when you get more experience go for a plasma/fusion multi set up(helios).
    next go for two lone XV8 fireknifes (1 for each elite slot) again they are easy to use and are forgiving of mistakes.
    Take the 3 stealths and if you can afford it get 3 more stealths (old models are available still until new come out) use these to harass enemy infantry but do not rely on the stealth field to keep them safe, use their mobility.

4 Fire warriors use two units of 12 all with pulse rifles, put one in a Devilfish for mobility and set the other unit up in cover in your quarter, use the unit of kroot to support the fott slogger FW or to infiltrate, but infiltrate is quite hard to pull of if your not that expienced, Krot work best in jungle type cover and are not an assualt unit (do not charge units with kroot unless unavoidable) they are good at shooting and counter charging units who assualt your FW unit. Use the DFish FW unit to get close to vulnerable infantry units and lay down rapid fire.

5 The Hammerhead is invaluable always give it a railgun/burst cannons, multi and decoys, keep it moving (the multi allows 12" movement and still shoot the railgun), use the submunnition round as much as possible to reduce opponents model count.

6 Use the 6 drones in the £50 box set to protect the Shas'O (commander) use them in a circular formation with the shas in the middle of the drones, do not attach him, this exploits the independent character rule which states an IC cannot be targeted if he is not the closest unit to the shooting unit, if he is in the middle of a circle of drones he cannot be targeted at all, this will help you to keep him safe while you learn the intricate art of jump shoot jump and utilising IC status.

Try to avoid the newcomers fall down of including all the fancy wargear on your XV8/stealths etc, just go for basic load outs such as the fireknife or helios set up I advised, the basic set up of
    1 Shas'O
    2 XV8's
    1 FW unit in devilfish
    1 FW unit on foot
    1 15 strong kroot squad (no shaper or armour upgrade)
    1 Hammerhead with railgun
    1 stealth team 6 strong with basic upgrades
    1 gun drone squad (6 strong)

This will give you a balanced easy to use 1000pointish list with mobility, firepower, and a decent model count. play some friendly games with it (or one like it) and tweak it and change it to suit your preffered play style. this list offers yu the benefit of a bit of allmain play styles static, mobile and hybrid but to be honest hybrid is usually the best option anyway, but thats my opinion.

Hope this helped slightly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast