Going to a Turny - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to a Turny

I am going to a turnament on Saturday but i dont know the rules well... I have been told by about 3 people to drop out and buy a rule book, learn how to play, then try again...

or NOT

i need this tactical question answered as the people who wanted me to stop wont give me a straight answer:

I have 2 Helios Comander shas'o to use as tank hunters, but i dont know how to get them to the enemies without being shot and smuthered in CC. 1 person suggested terrain hopping, the other sugested mooning the enemy in an open feild... help me...

I also have 2 squads of 6 drones to use as cover for my troops.. should i deepstrike them behind the enemy to create a diversion? and to make some enemys roll pinning checks? or should i move my drones to screen any coming CC guys?

i ALSO have 2 squads of 6 stealth suits that i THINK i know how to use them... put them as close to the enemy as possible in terrain (18 inches or 12 inches not seen) pop tanks and troops and retreat as neccesairy... they are screens for the rest of the army...

I have 2 Rail heads, which i will keep one to each side of the board poping submunition into groups of enemies... i dont know what else to do with them or HOW to keep them alive...

Tau'cena Intercept Legion W2-L4-D2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) um, deepstriking?

for all the rest of them you cannot really answer thoes question on such a general basis. You need to play games yourself and find out what works best for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is that a sugestion to deepstrike? or is it a sarcastic rhetoric queston to show your disaproval of my suggestions? i cant tell, help me out here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...i think you should put down cheap units because think of Points wise i mean at the end you will proably have to add victory points i mean you need cheap units in the front....and as for deepstrike...takes to long for me.
    W/0 L/O T/3

Dont Leave Me Out There With My Ass Hanging Out In The Wind

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemiK
    I am going to a turnament on Saturday but i dont know the rules well... I have been told by about 3 people to drop out and buy a rule book, learn how to play, then try again...

or NOT

i need this tactical question answered as the people who wanted me to stop wont give me a straight answer:

I have 2 Helios Comander shas'o to use as tank hunters, but i dont know how to get them to the enemies without being shot and smuthered in CC. 1 person suggested terrain hopping, the other sugested mooning the enemy in an open feild... help me...

I also have 2 squads of 6 drones to use as cover for my troops.. should i deepstrike them behind the enemy to create a diversion? and to make some enemys roll pinning checks? or should i move my drones to screen any coming CC guys?

i ALSO have 2 squads of 6 stealth suits that i THINK i know how to use them... put them as close to the enemy as possible in terrain (18 inches or 12 inches not seen) pop tanks and troops and retreat as neccesairy... they are screens for the rest of the army...

I have 2 Rail heads, which i will keep one to each side of the board poping submunition into groups of enemies... i dont know what else to do with them or HOW to keep them alive...
    If I where you I would listen to the peoples advice and drop out, you are going to annoy a lot of people at this tourny, no one minds a new player but not in a tourny setting, tournys are for experienced players.

I mean look at your questions.

1 Your commander, you obviously do not know the rules for independent characters and targeting (basically if he is not the closest unit to the enemy he cannot be targeted), there is the Jump Shoot Jump move utilising cover to start behind cover jump out shoot and then jump back to cover, there is the circular drone formation tactic (in the forum search it out). If you cant keep an XV8 safe you should not be in a tourny.

2 Drone squads are not that good for deepstriking, they should be used to harrass infantry and flank units, me I use a squad to protect my Shas'O.

3 Stealths cannot screen anything they do not block LOS and should not be set up within 18" if your opponent gets 1st turn just what do you think is going to happen, either they will, 1 get shot to pieces (stealth rules do not work that well at 18") or they will get assualted cos plenty of units can assualt if within 18", stealths need experience to work well, do not rely on the stealth rule to keep them safe, use the JSJ move and cover, keep at least 24" between the stealths and the enemy and use cover at all times if possible, cover is much better than stealth.

4 You really need to learn the basics, and the most basic rule of all with Tau is give hammerheads multi trackers and if you have the points spare decoys, keep the HH moving 12" every turn this means any hit is down graded to a glancing hit, the multi allows you to fire the railgun and still move 12" use the subs as you said and take armour if the option arises. utilise the railguns range and keep as much distance between your HH and the opponents forces, most tournys are on 6x4 boards with good cover so use the 6 feet and the cover to keep the HH safe.

A few other things most tournys insist on having the appropriate codex for your list, painted and based models (even just undercoated) and basic equipment (dice, templates etc) if you dont have these things you wont be allowed to participate.

Its is painfully obvious you know very little above the basics and I honestly think your being unfair on the other players expecting them to pay to take part in a tourny(even if its free I still think your being unfair) and have to play someone who really does not know how to keep a HH safe or how to use stealths for instance.

I would refuse to play you in a tourny (not in a shop or club I like to teach new players), sorry to sound so harsh, I am not meaning to be I am being honest you should get some experience at club/shop level gamimg and then go for tournys, remember this game is about two players not just you and you should be offering your opponent a good game, if you cant play to tourny level DONT play till you can, its unsportsman like behaviour to expect an opponent to have to put up with explaining why you cannot do this or that and having you ask why he is doing whatever he is doing, would it piss you off if the roles were reversed I know it would me dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    1 Your commander, you obviously do not know the rules for independent characters and targeting (basically if he is not the closest unit to the enemy he cannot be targeted), there is the Jump Shoot Jump move utilising cover to start behind cover jump out shoot and then jump back to cover, there is the circular drone formation tactic (in the forum search it out). If you cant keep an XV8 safe you should not be in a tourny.
    I damn well know the rules for IC. but getting BEHIND an enemy to shoot his tanks does not apply as he will be the closest to the enemy. I was asking if there were any alternate ways to get to an enemy quickly without Deepstriking. Apparently, there arnt, as i need to terrain hop towards the enemy.

2 Drone squads are not that good for deepstriking, they should be used to harrass infantry and flank units, me I use a squad to protect my Shas'O.
    Ok, point taken, i will definately keep 1 squad of drones per commander to protect them.

3 Stealths cannot screen anything they do not block LOS and should not be set up within 18" if your opponent gets 1st turn just what do you think is going to happen, either they will, 1 get shot to pieces (stealth rules do not work that well at 18") or they will get assualted cos plenty of units can assualt if within 18", stealths need experience to work well, do not rely on the stealth rule to keep them safe, use the JSJ move and cover, keep at least 24" between the stealths and the enemy and use cover at all times if possible, cover is much better than stealth.
    Ok, i now understand you cant screen, so i wont do that, nor will i be as close as possible unless its in terrain and out of assult

4 You really need to learn the basics, and the most basic rule of all with Tau is give hammerheads multi trackers and if you have the points spare decoys, keep the HH moving 12" every turn this means any hit is down graded to a glancing hit, the multi allows you to fire the railgun and still move 12" use the subs as you said and take armour if the option arises. utilise the railguns range and keep as much distance between your HH and the opponents forces, most tournys are on 6x4 boards with good cover so use the 6 feet and the cover to keep the HH safe.
    I meant movement wise, such as where to point the front of the tank, or how to judge what can kill my tank the fastest, i have the load out set up already and now i understand that cover is a tau's best friend.

A few other things most tournys insist on having the appropriate codex for your list, painted and based models (even just undercoated) and basic equipment (dice, templates etc) if you dont have these things you wont be allowed to participate.
    I have a codex, im almost done painting and i have the equipment already, if those are the basics, then i am prepared.

Its is painfully obvious you know very little above the basics and I honestly think your being unfair on the other players expecting them to pay to take part in a tourny(even if its free I still think your being unfair) and have to play someone who really does not know how to keep a HH safe or how to use stealths for instance.
    Basics? i know them well enough... my questions were tactic related, which my enemy WONT help me with...

I would refuse to play you in a tourny (not in a shop or club I like to teach new players), sorry to sound so harsh, I am not meaning to be I am being honest you should get some experience at club/shop level gamimg and then go for tournys, remember this game is about two players not just you and you should be offering your opponent a good game, if you cant play to tourny level DONT play till you can, its unsportsman like behaviour to expect an opponent to have to put up with explaining why you cannot do this or that and having you ask why he is doing whatever he is doing, would it piss you off if the roles were reversed I know it would me dude.
    a good point... ill take it like a man (im withdrawing)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

I damn well know the rules for IC. but getting BEHIND an enemy to shoot his tanks does not apply as he will be the closest to the enemy. I was asking if there were any alternate ways to get to an enemy quickly without Deepstriking. Apparently, there arnt, as i need to terrain hop towards the enemy.
    Fair enough I assumed you did not know the IC tactic, but I thought it would help to tell you it, the best way to keep a commander safe is to use a drone squad in circular formation surrounding him (do not attach him to the squad) using this tactic he should ramain unscathed long enough to get to the lines of the enemy. again sorry for assuming.

Ok, point taken, i will definately keep 1 squad of drones per commander to protect them.
    Good it will help till you get more experience.

Ok, i now understand you cant screen, so i wont do that, nor will i be as close as possible unless its in terrain and out of assult
    Good obviously you have to get close to shoot but do not start close, you can even use them to take out infantry and take objectives, if you use the JSJ cover and stealth correctly and keep them out of range/LOS as much as possible they are a tough unit and good for objective claiming late in the game

I meant movement wise, such as where to point the front of the tank, or how to judge what can kill my tank the fastest, i have the load out set up already and now i understand that cover is a tau's best friend.
    Ok be more specific next time,

I have a codex, im almost done painting and i have the equipment already, if those are the basics, then i am prepared.

Basics? i know them well enough... my questions were tactic related, which my enemy WONT help me with...
    You will need a good knowledge of all the rules, such as mixed armour etc, vehicle squadrons and a good knowledge of all the other 40K lists, likemyou said your opponent wont help you, an indepth knowledge of your own list is vital, not only the basics but tactical and deployment etc

a good point... ill take it like a man (im withdrawing)
    Good I am glad you took my points in the way they were intended, I had no intention of making you look in any way silly, its always tempting to want to get in and play as soon as possible and we all have to start somewhere but tournys are not the place to start, I would advise going along anyway and just observing, even take your army with you and your list you may get a friendly game, but you will get some good advice and you will see the standard expected of a tourny player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you know the rules petty good and your army is painted. I said go ahead and play in the tournment. Because this will get you exposed to differnt armies and differnt tactics. Not to mention power armies.Just because your tactics are weak does not mean you should not play.
    Now if you are inexperiences in rules that is a differnt story. So key here is how much experiences you have playing with your army? (Not tactics ).You will learn that by facing differnt armies. Now I am talking about local store tournments or regional tournments not the big GW thing.
    I hope that helps
    bonekrusher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for stealth suits look at the stealth suit tactica at;
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t-tactica.html
    yeah, listen to Riki he knows what he's doing (personally i have little use for his drone tactic as i use cover religeously, but it does work don't get me wrong).
    i wouldn't drop out just yet, tournies are fun!
    TAU PLAYER - GREY KNIGHTS PLAYER - WOOD ELVES PLAYER (kind of)

"Grey Knight terminators aren't 'good.' THEY'RE F****N AWESOME!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

On another note, why in the world do I keep seeing people who don't even play tau giving tau army advice. You know who you are. It's not always harmful, but the best example was that guy who said to take FW with EMP's over gun drones, now that would have been harmful.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast