first hq - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first hq

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first hq

What is a good hq to start out with for tyranids?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Well the Hive tyrant is generally the best Tyranid HQ.
    First give it toxin sacs, regardless of the critter being on foot or winged it should always have toxin sacs.
    It can be the most flexible on foot it will work well with a venom cannon and either scything talons or a lashwhip and bonesword. Though my favourite is scything talons.
    Tyrant guard will help it out but aren't compulsory.
    A Winged Hive tyrant is best given two pairs of scything talons and lots of close assault Biomorphs.
    These include acid maw, implant attack, flesh hooks and toxic miasma.
    There are variations on these Tyrants. A Hive tyrant with two pairs of twinlinked Devourers will be short ranged but very nasty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech
    Well the Hive tyrant is generally the best Tyranid HQ.
    First give it toxin sacs, regardless of the critter being on foot or winged it should always have toxin sacs.
    It can be the most flexible on foot it will work well with a venom cannon and either scything talons or a lashwhip and bonesword. Though my favourite is scything talons.
    Tyrant guard will help it out but aren't compulsory.
    A Winged Hive tyrant is best given two pairs of scything talons and lots of close assault Biomorphs.
    These include acid maw, implant attack, flesh hooks and toxic miasma.
    There are variations on these Tyrants. A Hive tyrant with two pairs of twinlinked Devourers will be short ranged but very nasty.
    I'm gonna agree that the Hive Tyrant is the best HQ choice however disagree on almost everything else.

Wings make the Hive tyrant the most versatile, however they are expensive but a 12" move is very useful for A) getting into close combat faster and Getting out the way of squads weapons designed to kill you.

Almost exclusively grab the 2+ save by either Warpfield (if your winged) or Extended Carapace known as EC.

Weapon Payloads Vary, the most devastating is the Duel TL Devourer Tyrant, with wings it has an effective 30" range enough to start firing from turn 1 and does 12 S5 reroll to hit and wound shots. I agree with Leech you should always take the toxic sacs biomorph. However Acid maw implant attack are mostly wasted points as you'll probably be wounding on 2+'s (S6) and most models (95%) are 1 wound only.

For tank killing it has the montrous creature rule and minimum 4 attacks on the charge so it doesn't really need anything more. If you want to take out light skimmers a Venom Cannon is great however anything above AV12 and close combat will be your most successful option. That or a Carnifex.

The TL Duel Devourer Monster should still be run into Close combat. The good news is that if you Charge SM you will have already killed 3 on average before you charge and then 2 more on the charge making the combat less dangerous for urself.

There are other options available check out the tactica but definately the Hive Tyrant is the Strongest most versatile HQ Model

Carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Well Hive Tyrant is the best single HQ for Tyranid.

I normally uses it with VC and another shooty biomorph as weapons.
    But a winged cc hive tyrant works too often, since it is pure evil in cc
    Guards is good but mainly if you know that the hive tyrant will reach cc before is being shots to pieces, especially since they can have boneswords (which I likes a lot)

The Broodlord is good as a second HQ in larger battles.
    But he need to come to cc asap and he tends to attracts a lot of fire, but when he get there he and his retinue will do the job quite well. They can actually kill most units in cc.
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Hive Tyrant all the way!!
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll jump on the band wagon, Tyrant with wings and 2 sets of talons = best set up I've encountered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I myself would feild it with Sything Talons and the Bonesword&Lashwhip combination.
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrant all the way. but also i like warriors with leaping EC rending claws scything talons and whatever else you want to give them. deadly in CC
    It is my sacred duty to save your soul from the Dark Gods of Chaos... and I willsave your soul, even if you die in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK i'll be the one to suggest somehting else. Depending on what you have, I'd recommend getting the Tyranid Battle Force, which not only saves you money, but comes with warriors, which can act as HQ, so IMO, I would use them if i was to get a Battleforce to begin with. Other then that run with a Tyrant. Just keep it away from Grandmasters . I find keeping the tyrant cheap is a good option, I run with a flying one with 2 ST, toxin sacs, warpfield and flesh hooks. Sometimes I add +1 Initiative. I hope it helped and gave you somehting more to think aboout! hehehe. Happy hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*tau player*

no not a CC tyrant!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast