StormBoyz in KoS? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

StormBoyz in KoS?

So has anyone run a 20 strong StromBoyz unit in there KoS army? I know they are expensive but I bet with all the other targets in a KoS army they could get stuck in pretty much unscathed. Even if they take some wounds with the Mob rule they should be ok and that would be less shooting on the rest of your army.

What do you all think?

Also do StormBoyz have to start in a vechicle? I got no problem buying them a Battlewaggon but do they have to start in it? I would imagine they would not want to and just blast along with there packs scouting and such. I mean Rekon heh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go ahead

I have played (a lot) with the following army(also a national tournament)

Mek + ff
    18 stromboyz + nob + pk + bionik arm + kombi-burna
    9 burna boyz + ff + 2 burnaz
    9 burna boyz + ff + 2 burnaz
    6 buggies

I always have had very good results but:

1- It does not work at all against Mechanised eldar(as it is obvious) and similar armies
    2- You must have quite a lot of experience to make it work.

But it also sucks a lot ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storm boys just don't seem to fit in with a speed freak army. Yes they are a good 'sweeping' combat unit, but they are considerably slower moving and large targets than trukkboy squads.

Stormboys are a lot more likely to survive constant gunfire and prolonged assaults, whereas trukkboys are are a lot more to avoid getting hit and strike quickly where the enemy is weakest. I personally prefer trukkboys.

Stormboys have a base movement of 12" a turn, and can assault 6".

Trukk boys can move up to 25" (while in trukk with RPJ) and on turn that it wishes to assault, it maybe move 13", disembark 2", charge 6", which comes to a total assault amount of 21", which is very good as it can assault first turn if the enemy moves forward from the top of their deployment zone, and on second turn it can reach any point in most battle fields with assaulting troops.

ALSO, i believe you are mistaken about stormboys, as they cannot ride in transports.
    Last edited by Bruiser117; May 27th, 2006 at 21:00.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Just a few comments:

1- When Truck's boyz disembark, they need 2 turns to effectively assault again, while stormboyz dont have to embark to be fast and effectively assault.

2-Also, they are more survable than just 2 trucks with 20 orks. Truckz are extremly dangerous. They can be shoot down by just an ork pistol. This is terrible.

3- According to "truck boyz strike quickly where the enemy is weakest", I considere both can do that. Moreover, stormboyz can really jump over any terrain, once truck boyz can not. For instance, vehicles or units will stop you easily, but stormboyz can directly pass over and assaut the unit who is wainting to contra-assault you.

4- etc

Both units are good, but I get use to playing stormboyz, and if you have experience, they are really dangerous.

Have a look to http://mural.uv.es/~sanesmar/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Folding
    Hi,

Just a few comments:

1- When Truck's boyz disembark, they need 2 turns to effectively assault again, while stormboyz dont have to embark to be fast and effectively assault.

Not true. Ideally you are going to have the wartrukk right next to the orks you just assaulted with. If you lose combat and fall back successfully and come within 2" of the wartrukk, you automatically re-embark it and regroup. If you won combat you can consolidate (or not even if any members are within 2" of the trukk) and just embark normally in the beginning of the next turn, and move / assault as normal.

2-Also, they are more survable than just 2 trucks with 20 orks. Truckz are extremly dangerous. They can be shoot down by just an ork pistol. This is terrible.

However, that one cartoonishly small wartrukk is VERY easy to keep hidden from enemy harm, and can deliver it's package into combat sooner, thus easier to keep alive and quicker in serving its purpose. A stormboy mob may have 10 more wounds, but remember its 10 t4 6+ wounds that aren't going to do much but pile up more bodies. It is also a HUGE mob that is almost impossible to hide from the enemy's wrath.

3- According to "truck boyz strike quickly where the enemy is weakest", I considere both can do that. Moreover, stormboyz can really jump over any terrain, once truck boyz can not. For instance, vehicles or units will stop you easily, but stormboyz can directly pass over and assaut the unit who is wainting to contra-assault you.

Quickly is the key point to that sentence. Trukkboys can assault first turn if the enemy moved forward and started on the edge of the deployment zone (which does happen) and can guarantee a charge on turn two. Storm boys are going to strike on turn 2 if they get very lucky, and most likely turn 3.

Also, it is true that storm boys can move over terrain. However, you must also remember that a wartrukk can move over two times as far total as a storm boys mob, and a little under two times as much when it wants to charge. With this vast increase in total distance, it still has a huge speed advantagee over the stormboys most of the time because it can wheel around a hill/building and still move farther than the storm boys.

4- etc

Both units are good, but I get use to playing stormboyz, and if you have experience, they are really dangerous.

Anything in the ork codex can be dangerous. Some just get the job done better.

Have a look to http://mural.uv.es/~sanesmar/
    Word.
    Last edited by Bruiser117; May 28th, 2006 at 01:46.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is nice to discuss about that. Anyway, I have disccused a lot in the past about stromboyz, and it is hard to show people that they can really work. At least, in an army list close to that I wrote.

I just want to point that if somebody wants to use this unit, I will be very happy to help him to construct an efficient way of do it, becasue it is really possible.

I would like to remark that talking about how easy you can hide trucks, when you play speed freeks it is an utopy to hide all trucks. moreover, most of the ork players I know, have their trucks at leas as big as rhinos. Keep in mind that they will have this size as well in the new ork codex. So this non sense truck size is going to dissapear.

Anyhow, I want to recall that kult of speed (trucks) is the best way of using orks right now. But an army list as I posted, can be really competitive, except againts typical mechanised armies. But kult of speed has the same problem so.

Regards

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

Also, going back to the second post, Stormboyz in Kult of Speed are 0-1.

However, I really like the idea of giving a Nob a kombi-scorcha, seeing as they're assault...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I did'nt kow the new codex had been released et. Do u have other insider imformation u would like to share with your fellow WARBOSSES. I will sa tis, Tru to form us Warbosses can't get along for the good or Bad of the WAAAAAAAAAAG! Even if the next truk models are larger we can still use the olduns. Or are U saying that they will outlaw the old truks? I tink not. Now on with the Taktikal diskusion. I play KOS and my problem with Stormboyz is that Kos is only aloud 0-1 stormboyz, they wipe out there targets and end up standing out in the open and geting hammered cuz of ther save. I prefer Ardboyz as elites. Mostly iv'e played with Zagstruk and the Vulcha boyz wich iz very KOS. I would be very interested to here FOLDINGS imput on Stormboyz. His list is a very interesting twist on footslogger armys which personaly I can't get to work because there SOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. Altho keep in mind stormboyz are 0-1 in KOS.
    3K Highest Elves
    2K RavenWing
    2K Saim-Hann Eldar
    3K Tau
    4K Pts Freaky Fast ORCS
    5K Hive Fleet Devourer
    2.5K Bretonnian Knights
    3K Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see.

What I know cames form a few "trips" to Nothingham (tournaments), of some friends of mine ;-). One of the next topics of GW may be vehicle upgrade for orks.

According to using old vehicles, of course you will be able to use them, but to hide a truck behing wartrucks, as people do right now, will not be possible, as far as they not increase wartruck size.

So, regarding using squads of stormboyz:

- In my experience they are the safe units, If they are at least 16 boyz
    -They move twice but do not cost twice !
    -They can start CC in turn 2. If you move first, it means your enemy only shot you 1 turn !!!
    -They are initially(1st turn) well protected by force field & scenario
    -They are easily protected by wartrucks in turn 2: hide yours wartrucks the 1st turn, and cover stormboyz by KFF.
    Getting fire the 1st turn is not a problem. Few guns can be used. Then, make your own scenario as far as possible with the wartrucks. Now your enemy can not (ussually)shoot and there exist dificult terrain for infantry to assault you behing destroyed wartrucks.
    -They are large units so the waaagh will work !
    -Once you kill an enemy unit, you can easily assault far from your position.
    (Note that when you disembark you ussually never embark and assault again, and if you do so, you need 2 turns !!!)
    -You can jump enemy units and atack directly to units waiting to contra-assault you.
    -They react very fast. You can assault far from your position in 2 turns.
    -I like the figures
    - In OMEGA level they do not appera the first turn, as may happen with KoS. This gives you a lot of reaction over your opponent.
    - Always use 2-3 KFF to protect them.
    - etc,etc

Enjoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folding and Bruiser thanks for all your replies and info, I am pretty sure I am going to go with a unit of Stormys in my KoS.

I plan on running a Battlewagon and Demolisher that can run interference for them since they not fast anyhow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast