Starting Eldar? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Eldar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Eldar?

So I really, really want an Eldar army. Its really the army that drew me into 40k in the first place. But....I've managed to convince myself to wait for the new codex and newer sculpts. In particular the new Dire Avengers, and bulkier Banshees and Fire Dragons are looking very good. With all this in mind I find myself stuck between armies. I have a playable Deathwing army with accessories I need to finish assembling, but I want to start buying for the Eldar army I will be doing in the fall in order to defray the cost over a longer period of time.

I envision myself with 2 Eldar armies actually, a Saim-hann style and a Biel-tan type list. What models do you all think will not be replaced when the new 'dex comes out? My thinking right now is thats its safe to buy Wave Serpents, Falcons, and Fire Prisms. The new War Walker and the Support Platform and possibly the Guardians box as well, as I don't see them changing much there. The aspect warriors are a completely different issue entirely.

Does anyone think its rather crazy to start shopping/building a new army with a new 'dex only a couple of months away?

EH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

It is very difficult to say, most units, even the Guardians, will get new boxes. The vehicle kits will probably include all weapon upgrades and so on. As far as I know, Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks are unlikely to get new models or even change at all in the new codex. Swooping Hawks suck, but Warp Spiders are sweet.

Fire prism might not get a new model, but if it does not change in the codex it will just serve as a paperweight on your shelf. It sucks.

So pretty much everything useful except Warp Spiders are getting new looks! And that is not entirely sure, GW might decide to make some new sculpts in the last minute anyway.

IMO, the new Fire Dragons don't look so very different from the current ones, so if you don't like them better you can get them now as well. Am I sensing a Biel-tan army here? Wave Serpents won't change very much either probably.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

hmmmm got to love human nature.....easily tempted my material goods. My advice is to just wait it out. To be honest what we say isn't always 100% true. If you are good enough to hold back you temptations I think you should ask for advice on an army list first and save up the money to buy it all in one go when the new stuff is released.

I doubt the very latest models will change. The wave serpants for example.....they are almost a brand new design.
    Last edited by Heiromyo; May 29th, 2006 at 13:29.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is comming out in October of this year...i would get a few models that you know you will take...like the fire dragons maybe. I saw a preview of the new dragons in White Dwarf and they are basically the same. Don't get a Wraithlord or Warwalker....they are getting new models very soon. Um....the banshees are being changed again so if you like the old one better then get those. But other then that i would get the models that aren't changing so you can get a start at least.

p.s. THe pics of the newest eldar stuff is in the latest White Dwarf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiromyo
    I think you should ask for advice on an army list first and save up the money to buy it all in one go when the new stuff is released.
    Well, any army list we he makes now will be obsolete once the new Codex and models arrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor
    Well, any army list we he makes now will be obsolete once the new Codex and models arrive.
    Or you could just get what you think looks cool, or sounds cool fluff wise. A new Eldar codex should have a learning curve anyway so what seems good at first might not turn out to be the best choice in the end.

So dont worry about it just enjoy modeling and converting now and adapt when the time comes....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor
    Not completely true yet it's true to a degree.....looking back at all the previous old codex remakes the same gaming tactics can be used (Tau, Tyrannids and space marines for example) but I must admit the new codex's have opened up new ways to play the armies as well.....so what ever advice we give can still be of use. Don't hold my word to it though :/
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglacht
    Or you could just get what you think looks cool, or sounds cool fluff wise. A new Eldar codex should have a learning curve anyway so what seems good at first might not turn out to be the best choice in the end.

So dont worry about it just enjoy modeling and converting now and adapt when the time comes....
    Yes, but that was the problem from the beginning, new awesome models are coming out and he wants to start with something now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another board I belong to there's a TON of info and pictures about the upcoming Codex and new models. The guy who posted that thread is pretty good about separating fact from fiction and he went specifically for Eldar info and got a fair bit of info directly from Phil Kelly.

Directly from that thread, there will be one basic list but you'll be able to field a Biel-Tan army from that list. No details yet as to *how* that will occur, only that you will be able to. As a related note, Phil Kelly helped write the Eye of Terror Codex, so --directly from him-- USF is still a viable army. Again, no details were given.

Finlos

I don't know if linking to that thread constitutes "direct competition" so I erred on the side of caution. I can PM the link if you're interested.

+ Reply to Thread