Crystal Targeting Matrix - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crystal Targeting Matrix

Well, basically, do many people use Crystal Targeting Matrix? It seems pretty awesome, but its kinda expensive, especially if you also would like to take the holo field, which is awful cool and itself quite expensive. Especially when you are upgrading your weapons to starcannons or whatever.

I figure you do your starcannons and then choose either CTM or holo field . . . figuring that if you use the CTM to keep behind cover, then you don't need the holo field, vice versa or whatever.

So what is popular amongst my eldar brethren?

"There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

I use it for Vypers sometimes (at least in USF), otherwise you waste the points you spent on the heavy armour of a Falcon or Fire Prism (not that I'd use a Prism but still).

Wave Serpents with CTM are also off the hose, they are supposed to bring forth your units not sit back and shoot.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor
    Wave Serpents with CTM are also off the hose, they are supposed to bring forth your units not sit back and shoot.
    I have to disagree here. I've been fielding a Wave Serpent with a CTM for a while now and I find it rather effective. There are a few caveats though:

1. I only have one waveserpent and no falcons
    2. I play on a fairly terrain heavy table
    3. I only have 2 bright lances in my entire army (including the one on the waveserpent)
    4. The only 'real' close combat unit I have are my Striking Scorpians

Now what all this means is, that I don't have many vehicles to draw heavy weapons fire so I need to be a little more conservative with my WS. I don't have much anti-tank firepower so I have to conserve the little that I have. As for the scorpians they don't get much back up from the rest of the army so I have to be very careful how I use them, and since they are in the WS I don't want them getting wasted in the first turn. The amount of terrain I use means that I can usually find a place to hide the WS when I need to.

If I were playing on a billiard table with the standard 'cheese-cannon' list I would probably have a different answer though.

Hope this helps,
    regards,

The General
    Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Actuall I too use them on a Wave serpent. I hate it when the enemy sticks together. CTMs on vypers and Wave Serpent down the wings allways seem to annoy enough to split enemy formations. The WS is then quick enough to redeploy the aspects to where I need them, not where the enemy thinks their going. I can regroup and often beat the enemy in 3 bite sized sections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I like CTM, especially on USF vypers since their small size means they can hide easier and better ballistic skill makes them a reliable shot. On Falcons on the other hand, they can be ok though it's tougher to hide these due to their bulky size.

I have seen these be put on wave serpants and i know it's effective even though the theory doesn't seem to match up. handy for tank hunting but if you're going to do that it's better off just giving it to the falcon.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a question for you on CTM . . . can you pop in/out of cover like the Tau crisis suits? Or must you keep going in a straight line and hope you reach the next cover? There is an obvious advantage if you can do the former . . .
    "There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Battle-Brother Wags
    Here's a question for you on CTM . . . can you pop in/out of cover like the Tau crisis suits? Or must you keep going in a straight line and hope you reach the next cover? There is an obvious advantage if you can do the former . . .
    Yes you can do a pop up attack, however if you don't finish your move 6" away from the start point you don't benefit from the glancing hits rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

you can, but if you dont end up more than 6 inches from where you start you dont get the glancing benefit of fast skimmers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on "sniper vipers" it can be fun if you have the spare points for it. never on anything in a squadron. and never on falcons. Your falcon has spirit stones and holofields. you should be able to sit and moon a LRC. The falcon is lots of points. It should be getting you back those points, not taking potshots from behind cover. Vyper + Bright Lance + CTM = Gotcha! however. and as for wave serpents - I don't actually like it. Too big, needs to stick close to troops for it to pop tanks and hide. If it were cheaper...
    If it's not funny, I will remove it. Stand Warned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by farseer_seele
    on "sniper vipers" it can be fun if you have the spare points for it. never on anything in a squadron. and never on falcons. Your falcon has spirit stones and holofields. you should be able to sit and moon a LRC. The falcon is lots of points. It should be getting you back those points, not taking potshots from behind cover. Vyper + Bright Lance + CTM = Gotcha! however. and as for wave serpents - I don't actually like it. Too big, needs to stick close to troops for it to pop tanks and hide. If it were cheaper...
    Hmmm CTM on vypers are ok as long as you don;t give them a single shot weapon, the moderate Bs means it's bound to miss too much to be much use (the exception to this is USF since they have a bolstered Bs). Something like a starcannon on the other hand can be useful.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast