(Tyranid) Help for a Newbie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Tyranid) Help for a Newbie

Hello all,

I just moved to cali and just started to play warhammer 40k (I've been playing warhammer for over 13 years, skaven, dwarfs, and chaos thus the name). I've decided to play Tyranids and been reading each thread but with the amount of information I'm kinda lost on where to begin. I convinced my roommate to play also (he decide on Necrons....undead loving fool) and was wondering what would be a good beginning setup for my army. I bought the Tyranid Battleforce and it came with 8 genestealers, 8 gaunts, 8 hormagaunts, 3 warriors and a carnifex. Since I plan on just playing my friend for a little while till get the rules down and I find a local gaming club what would be a good solid basic army setup that I can expand on?

How about basic tactics?

And whats basically useless to do? For example....I've read a couple of threads that stated gaunts are pretty much just meat and just to buy spinefists to save on points and use them as shields for genestealers?

How about the carnifex and warriors....up close or shooty?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Well this probally shouldn't be in this sub forum but a mod may come along to move(shrugs). Yes a battle force would be a very good start as you could feild an army from that. Your next buy probally should be more gaunts as only 8 of each isn't really that much and aren't effecient enough. Another could be a hive tyrant since this probally will be the most effective HQ you can get and good for beginners. After that you really should make up your own prefreance of what army you want as other units are used for more out of prefreance but if your fighting necrons you might want to get zoanthropes as they can be queit effective against them.

Now what you should put on your guys is mainly up to you and usualy nothing is too bad but there are some exceptions. You should make up a list of what you want from your codex(if you have one and if you don't then you NEED to get one) and show it to us. Well gaunts are usually used as meat sheilds then can be quite effective if you have enough of them. Really it comes down to prefrance on what you want to put on your gaunts as some people only want to use spinegaunt or termagaunts.

Once again on the setup for carnifexs and warriors is preferance but I'll tell you a few normal types of each. First the carnifex has quite a bit you can make him a giant target CC monster that can destroy almost anything in gets close to or the more usefull and cheaper(most of the time) ranged one. The basic carnifex lay up right now is enhanced senses with venom cannon and barbed strangler so it can take out vehicles and infantry fairly well. The next is the dakafex which has enhanced senses and 2 twin linked devours as you can fire quite a bit of shots and is fairly cheap point wise. Now onto the warriors they have almost limitless ways to setup them and you can really go either way with them though they should go with your army. CC warriors probally should always have rending claws and scything talons so that can tear open there oppents also extended carpace is a must on any warrior. Ranged warriors can really be equiped with any weapon(though most people don't put on spinefists or fleshborers) but the main one is the deathspitter.

Well hope all this isn't too long for you(I kinda wrote a bit though I hope it help you) if you have any more specific advice I can tell you a bit more in depth.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey thanks for the info. I do have the codex but with so many options to choose from it was hard to decide where to begin. Thank again. If I have more questions that the forums can't answer to give me a better idea then I will write again.

Junior Member Tyranid Cerebrate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Hive Mind, brother.

I'm new to this site too but I've been playing Tyranids since the latter 90's. I also play Skaven in fantasy and I find that the mentalities behind the armies, while distinct, are very similar and serve each other.

As far as choices go, it's hard to say what's useless. Even the things in the army I find least intelligible are used by other players to victorious effect...so I don't want to come out and condemn anything

I don't use shooty gaunts at all, only hormagaunts. I'd adivse you to experiment with the different types of gaunts but for me, it all comes down to one thing: having a first wave of fast-moving skirmishers who can slam into the enemy's front lines on turn 2.

Try this. Unleash a couple broods of hormogaunts at the enemy. You'll probably connect with some necron warrior units. Once you're stuck in not only do you disable the shooting of the unit you charged and protect your gaunts from further shooting...but you've also created a line-of-sight barrier in the area of the combat which will stop any of his units behind it from shooting at your more important bugs. The gaunts shouldn't be expected to win many combats alone, but by the time they dwindle you should be on him with genestealers, warriors, and monsterous creatures.

One thing's for sure, you will develop a healthy appreciation and pride for your genestealers. Genestealers are hands down the most intimidating shock unit in the game, answerable only on rare occasion to certain members of the dark eldar and harlequin family. Your genestealers will absolutely BUTCHER any necron unit. I personally run mine with scything talons and extended carapace, although others swear by entirely different configurations. If genestealers make it into combat, they will not let you down. You may just find a tear streaking down your face in awe of their beautiful efficiency.
    Last edited by Tyranid Cerebrate; June 5th, 2006 at 14:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest finding a few army lists here that seem to suit your playstyle. After a few games you'll no doubt change a lot, but its a good place to start. It's convenient that you tailer your list for Necron, which will help a lot especially since some expensive biomorphs (like inititive boosting adrenal glands) become far less important. Of course your opponent will be picking up anti-Tyranid stuff like a Lightning Field and a Monolith. *shrug*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well for a bit of punch for a new army i would throw in 2-3 raveners, theese are a bit better cost wise than lictors <which i use 2 of in my 1850 league> and provide more punch faster movment and an equal amount of "shock value". i have had khorne bez army players just be amazed that by assulting with only a unit of 3 rav's i laid down 18 s3 re-roll wounding shots followed by 15 rending claw attacks! thats enough to potentally destroy a squad of 10 marines with out any retaliation.

also a good idea for a new army is to field 3 squads of 1 ravener each instead of 1 squad of 3 . cause this limits how many can die in shooting cause it requires your opponent to use 3 units worth of firepower to kill all 3 instead of just using 1 big squad to kill all 3.

yes this uses all 3 of your fast attack slots but tyranid fast atack choices are very limited to start out with untill you get a bigger army or start adding wings to things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Tyranid) Help for a Newbie

Being a victim only a few days ago to two Necron players, I may be able to give some dot points about what to look out for with your battles against your friend.

1:The Necrons I vs had no Ap2 or better shooting weapons, making the extended carapace on all my Monstrous creature worth their weight in gold, (which is a lot lot)
    When checking the codex it appears they have only 1 unit that dose, meaning that this upgrade (EC) could not be used any better vs the army your freind is happening to be starting to collect.:w00t:

Why did I loose then? Well Necrons have a lot of multi shot and move weapons, and thus all the little bug never got to tie things up for the oncoming MC, there was also this Vail of darkness thing on his lord (pray he doesn’t get it) when I got lucky and managed to charge his unit, it simply teleported out, Gerr
    Counter this with locating the Necron unit with the lord in it and make it your top priority, Winged Tyrants can cause havoc and chase down the mald unit very nicely and they can not be shot down by his forces when it has warp field and jumps around like a harrier jump jet.
    The three Ravener unit attack perfectly mentioned by dragon252
    Their cheep and to keep them in-between the whole swarm my opponent has some times missed them or over killed them by some times 6 wounds.:rolleyes:

2:Also a thing about terrain.
    When I started playing Tyranids I found it hard to play, when in those days no one wanted terrain on the table or there was some up against the edges.
    If you play at GW the staff there are understandable in that area (only) and will happily flood the board with places for you to hid in (I hope its not just my GW).

This is the set up I use at home for my tabletop placements.
    The table should a have a quater of the playing surface covered in terrain pieces, this may be around 10 separate pieces.
    : Both players roll the dice and the winner gets to choose one of those pieces to put on the table, it must be roughly 6 inch for the tables edge and all previously placed pieces.

Ps. there is a great Tyranid tactica at the top of the Tyranid thread list which I found very tasty, maybe you might too.

Again Welcome to the Hive, AJ out!
    Humans check in, they don’t check out
    They are coming for us, flesh and blood ... body and soul.
    Last edited by AJ Tyrant; June 6th, 2006 at 14:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, welcome to the Hive Mind Cluster.

First off, the rules for 40K are MUCH MUCH different than Fantasy. Well, maybe not in terms of stat lines and such, but the dyanmics are really different. Being familiar with the differences will help you form a good strategy.

Tyranids basically have the following strengths:
    - Very hard to break morale in all cases (synapse issue)
    - Fairly fast units
    - The genestealer is prob the best overall HTH unit in the game.
    - Their monsterous creatures are pretty much immune to all damage except heavy weapons

Weaknesses
    - Practically no invuln saves
    - Everything but the monsterous creatures don't have great armor either
    - BS skill isn't great on most things.
    - With the exception of the Warp Blast, their ranged weapons don't have AP below 4.
    - Monsterous creatures are slow (so escaltion really hurts them)

You may think that Tyranids should be primarily hand to hand (that's what I originally thought). But because of the rules you can make a very competitive "shooty" nid list. Or have a hybrid of the two.

Also, the whole "swarm" mentality isn't as effective by itself. The main purpose of the swarm is to force the opponent to shoot at them or be locked into close combat. However, swarm gaunts/rippers aren't very good in cc unless you upgrade them a lot, which by then gets too expensive.

I will give you a few guidelines that I've found effective:
    - Have at least a few carnifexes. Maybe two Elites carrying 2 TL Devourers (with BS skill upgrade). One be a heavy with a VC and Barb Str combo (with BS skill and whatever upgrades you'd like)
    - Have raveners as cheap scoring units. It only takes 1, and they are fast and in a pinch can take out small squads pretty easily.
    - Unless you know you can infiltrate or your army is themed around it, ALWAYS take a Hive Tyrant over a Broodlord for your HQ.
    - Gargoyles SUCK
    - Always give anything that has a 5+ or better save Ext Carapice. Anything that has a 6+ leave alone.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

1:The Necrons I vs had no Ap2 or better shooting weapons, making the extended carapace on all my Monstrous creature worth their weight in gold, (which is a lot lot)
    When checking the codex it appears they have only 1 unit that dose, meaning that this upgrade (EC) could not be used any better vs the army your freind is happening to be starting to collect.

Actually the necrons have one more(kinda) Ap2(well Ap1 actually) AJ Tyrant. If your read on the monolith descrition for I think particle wip it says you get one Ap1 shot if the blast template hole is under a model. So technically that is one but it is usually overlooked so no problems :yes: .

- Gargoyles SUCK

Laplace that is more of an opinoin then anything as I find gargoyles can be very usefull. They don't need to be baby sitted by synapse since they have 10 Ld and they move EXTREMELY fast and can tie up units fairly well if you have a decent number of them. The only down fall of them is the point cost and how much it costs to buy the little buggers in real life(not to mention frail little buggers &lt;_&lt; ) but I can see why you might not like them much.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989

- Gargoyles SUCK

Laplace that is more of an opinoin then anything as I find gargoyles can be very usefull. They don't need to be baby sitted by synapse since they have 10 Ld and they move EXTREMELY fast and can tie up units fairly well if you have a decent number of them. The only down fall of them is the point cost and how much it costs to buy the little buggers in real life(not to mention frail little buggers &lt;_&lt; ) but I can see why you might not like them much.
    Yes, it certainly is an opinion, just like everything else I gave regarding the guideliness.

There are many a thread debating the Gargoyle usefulness. I'll let Tzeech decide for himself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast