Dark Lance and Portals. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Dark Lance and Portals.

Does anyone out there use web way portals in their sniper squads? The idea that I had was as follows - 2 sniper squads (each containing 8 warriors, 2 dark lances with an attached haemonculus that has the portal) deploy as normal then on move 1 transfer to a more preferred location to drop the portal. The sniper squad is now in a better position, protects the portal and the haemonculus then breaks off. You might lose a round of shooting from this squad but sometimes I can't deploy exactly where I would prefer and have to shift anyway to get a better line of fire etc. The haemonculus becomes a wild card and is often ignored until too late to avoid the destructor attack - this happens to me very often. The loss of fire from the 2 sniper squads is not too bad as sometimes I field 3 of these.
    Thoughts and feelings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

I can't say its a bad idea, look at it this way:

With splinter cannon warrior squad, the squad moves with the portal haemi but it can still shoot, though, I would rather fleet of food to get those extra inches on anyway so it makes no difference. So yeah, dark lance squad is just as good for it. I only developed this opinion recently though. Though, on a down side, your dark lance squad is now 7-12 inches closer to the enemy than it needs to be and probably in a worse position to fire (don't tell me you don't at least try to hide the squad from enemy fire) and hence you don't have that many targets visible yourself because if they can't see you, you can't see them. So it makes no difference really, I think I'll keep mine with splinter cannons and blasters as the squad is going to get closer while the sniper squads try to knock out a couple of tanks so they can't shoot the webway portal squads, keep the enemy pinned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all

In my 1500p WWP Kabal I deploy two Taloi, 4 snipersqauds and two heamonculi, both carrying a portal. Taloi go in front most of the time, depending what army I face. Snipersquads go in cover, whenever possible, making sure I've maxed-out line of sight per squad. The heamonculi sometimes go just behind my Taloi. Again depending on what army I face and on how my opponent deploys his/her army.

I must say that in all this time I play this WWP kabal, I've never lost a heamonculus in the first two rounds of the battle. The majority focuses on Taloi - surprise, surprise - and on my squads.

Greetz
    Lord Draahk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -41 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by lorddraahk
    Hi all

In my 1500p WWP Kabal I deploy two Taloi, 4 snipersqauds and two heamonculi, both carrying a portal. Taloi go in front most of the time, depending what army I face. Snipersquads go in cover, whenever possible, making sure I've maxed-out line of sight per squad. The heamonculi sometimes go just behind my Taloi. Again depending on what army I face and on how my opponent deploys his/her army.

I must say that in all this time I play this WWP kabal, I've never lost a heamonculus in the first two rounds of the battle. The majority focuses on Taloi - surprise, surprise - and on my squads.

Greetz
    Lord Draahk
    sounds good dude.

what comes out of the WWP then?
    -SONS of RUSS member-

Exiled until 5thED redo...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Just to clarify the deployment of the sniper squads, sometimes if the cover is just not available or good enough within the deployment zone I move them to a more preferred position. And sometimes a 36 inch range is just not long enough to reach what I want so I move them with the attached Haemonculus/portal to a position (always in cover) that will suit me for the rest of the game. Yes this does put them closer to the line of fire but a 10 wound lance squad is very tough to kill and as a plus if they attacked the other 8 warriors with splinter rifles now actually have an offensive use, not to mention the Haemonculus lurking around is now more useful than ever. Finally the sniper squad acts as a body guard for the portal, stopping any smothering tactics from your opponent. I consider this squad as disposable after the portal has been dropped so I don't try to hide them as such, just get them to be of maximum use for as long as possible (ever had the warriors in this squad just sit around the whole game with nothing to do?) and I normally have at least 5 other lances in the army so losing them on about turn 3 is not too much of an inconvience to me as a lot of other things are going on during the game much more worthy of my attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crucial
    sounds good dude.

what comes out of the WWP then?
    Out of the portal comes my Archon with retinue (6 incubi) on raider (dark lance, horrorfex), my Whyches on raider (dissie, horrorfex) and a ravager (3 dissies).
    Massacred (cleanse mission) a space marine army by turn three yesterday. My Ravager never came out of the portal. All I lost was 1 warrior, 2 incubi due to my own doing - being too close to a dreadnaught which exploded due to a dark lance hit, two whyches and ... a heamonculus. The first time one of them died on turn two. Never say never! ;-)) Anyway he did his job, his portal was opened 6" from the centre - I was right in his face.

Achieved to get second place with this army on Fanatic (Belgium) last year.

Greetz

Lord Draahk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Well done, congrats on the victories and so on. I've been considering putting horrofexes on my raiders but I'm not convinced yet, its quite a few points considering thats 5 raiders and 2 ravagers....

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

Yesterday played and beat a Tau army ran by the GW red-shirt and used 2 sniper squad wwp deployers. The 2 squads were identical and it looked like this:

9 warriors w/2 dark lances
    1 Sybarite, poison blades WWP
    I think it was 161 points

Very static, idea was (and it worked) deploy at least 1 of the portals in the first turn then try to get better location with the other. Hazard was that he had Kroot and he set them up 12" from one of my squads. I had placed that squad in cover but I guess his kroot can see, shoot and move through cover (forest) as if it wasn’t there and if I didn't win first turn they would've been engaged by them for sure. The other sniper was also set-up in a forest but he place some steal suits nearby and was ready to jump them near the sniper squad and fire them to death.

So yah, it wasn’t hard for him to figure out which units had the portals and if he had won first turn I think the game would’ve ended by the second. Fortunately, both portals were deployed first turn. The Kroot did assault the sniper squad and later killed the snipers to the man. He didn’t keep his Kroot on the portal and started to advance them towards the other squad.

As for my thoughts on deploying the portal 1st turn and had to laugh because I had put about 1000 points in the portal with 500 on the board and only ONE squad out of 8 came out in the 2nd turn. Technically, any fast army could’ve covered my portals since they were only guarded by those sniper squads and with only one squad coming out I would say they were still vulnerable.

On the flip-side, the sniper deploying squad has a natural affect on your opponent and I have seen it in every game so far when using them – Bait. It’s like dangling a piece of meat to a hungry pack of wolves – it draws them in, even the Tau. Needless to say it makes it very easy for portal armies even with 1 turn of movement to just pick and choose what you want to assault. In my instance the one squad that was available was a raider squad with a horrorfex. His Kroot were so far into my area that it was easy to hide the raider while the rest of the raider squad deployed. I was able to pin the Kroot with the horrorfex and just rapid fired the others (except the splinter cannon and the blaster. I managed to pin them again with the horrorfex, rapid fired and let a Talos finish off the rest after taking out a crisis suit. I think I pinned that squad for 3 turns and with all the cover saves they had I cut them down below half.

One other trick I might try would be to have 3 sniper squads and let him guess which one or two squads has the portal. It’s a great idea to have at least one though and it now in all my variations of a portal army.

As for the Kroot, think about having these guys on your team – I am imagining the havoc I could create with just one squad tying up your foe buying time to rush or deploy the portal. Hmmm…
    :shifty:

+ Reply to Thread