Welcome to Librarium Online!
Hello everyone, hope everything is going well. Have searched for threads relating to this topic but have sofar found none, please link me to any I have missed.
Having bought a Carnifex about a week ago, I cheerfully brought it home and had a look at the stuff inside - all very nice. This morning, I removed some of the pieces from the sprue, with a mind to start putting it together. Here is when my trouble started. As everyone who has constructed a carnifex will know, the main "thorax" area of the body is made up of two side "rib cage" pieces and a central carapace back piece. I tried to test fit these sections together and they didnt fit. I have been putting together GW minatures for over 10 years, and I know they often dont fit together perfectly, but this is more than just a slight misalignment.
The two rib cage sections, when fitted together properly, dont leave sufficient room for the back carapace section, which is too wide along its rear portion to fit in the gap. The tail section will not fit into the socket left for it either (the ball joint is simply too big to fit in the gap). Alongside this, the back carapace section is not curved enough and so sticks up quite a way when fitted onto either of the ribcage sections. These combined make it very difficult to fit the thorax of the fex together at all; the gaps between the sections are huge - about 3mm in some parts and the "chimney" towers on the back of the fex do not match up at all (at all!)
Right, with my rant done, onto the question: What should I do?
I was thinking of heating up and bending the back carapace so it had an appropriate curvature to fit, and to perhaps try and bend some parts of the ribcage sections so that they might accomodate the back carapace section better. All these pieces are quite thick however, so I'm not sure how well they would respond to being bent in such a fashion.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you correct it? Alternatively, does anyone think this could just be a bad mould, and that I should take it back to GW and ask for another 'fex set?
Any answers would be much appreciated
i have 2 carnies and they all came together with no problems (apart from the usaul) it sounds like you got a bad mould and i would take it to your gw store they will either replace it or help you work it all out
"take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly
"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy
"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity
Both of mine also fit together with no problems, but i know when i tried to take something back to my GW store, they refused (2 gargoyles were expensive enough, but they didnt even come with bases...)
And so the Ultramarines Tyrannic War Veteran says to his friend "Lictor? I hardly knew her"Originally Posted by Karmoon
Thanks for your replies guys. It looks as if I have a bad mould, so I think I'm going to take it back and seek a replacement.
I have three fex's and i did have problems getting the back to fit together properly. The middle plate for the back spine thingy would sit too high at the back when the front was flush. I've just used a bit of greenstuff and filing to try and fix the probems. They turned out ok, but anooying still. But yeah, try and get another one, or atleast show the GW staff and try and get them to help or something. Hope it turns out well.
Thanks to you three guys for replying. Took the fex back to GW today and got it replaced - indeed it was a mould fault, apparently they have had several fexes like mine returned recently. Got a new one now; onto some big screamy stompy death!
i've had the same problem with the last two fex's i've bought. I tried (unsuccessfully) to soften and reshape the first (left a big pile of goo on the front of the back piece :cry: ) and the second i just sanded down the bottom of the piece until it fit. it's doable, but takes a lot of trial and error.
if i'd bought new i probably would have returned it.
I've now put together 8 Carnifexes (not all of them mine) and I found that all that was required was for the two rib peices to be placed together while the back was brough down on top at the same time and held to glue.
Hope that helps.
"Nothing that large should be able to move like that." Sergeant Thresher, 11th Catachan Jungle Fighter
All three of mine had issues with the central back piece... Dodgy mould design. Pretty irritating
But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.