Imperial Guard Cityfight - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard Cityfight

Next week I have a game against a mate using his imperial guard. It's only 1000points and a straightforward victory points match so we get used to the rules (playing cities of death). Any advise on units to use i was thinking:
    1 Destroyer Lord with phase shifter and res. orb (goes with wraiths)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    3 Wraiths
    4 Destroyers
    5 Scarabs
    Tomb Spyder
    998pts

Could also call on
    7 Flayed ones
    1 heavy destroyer
    and thats all thats reasonable in 1000 points (got no immortals )

Also any advise on what statgems to pick (can have 2) would eb great. Thanks in advance.

(sorry for any mistakes but feeling sick as a dog right now)

Last edited by someguy; June 10th, 2006 at 21:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my humble experience I see no wrong with this list
    The only touchy points i can spot are these :

-LORD : give him a warscythe!!! (maybe you did but forgot to mention it )

-SCARABS: I find those guys rather useless without disruption fields. If your friend is using lots of armored vehicles in his army 4-5 bases with DS fields will be nasty little suprise. In one of my first games I was playing vs Beil Tan Eldar and had 8 scarab bases with DS. Made his falcon crash on turn 2 and his jetbike on turn 3 loosing 1 base overall! If IG army you are fighting is all about infantry i guess its not as necessary.Also IG army has lots of template weapons so be carefull with scarabs there, you might find yourself loosing them too fast to a nice artillery barrage.

-TOMB SPIDER: Never used it in a game so feel free to ignore this. But While TS is good to leave around warriors so that any unit assaulting will be wary to approach as well as WBB, but if you try to go offensive with it you ll get blown to bits. however since IG army will tend to have little assault troops, you dont really need that guy. I would advise taking Flayed ones instead of TS. Those things can be very scary against Low LD armies and large units of soft squishy infantry. So try to take 6 flayed ones and maybe cut down scarab base if need points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh went tinkering in the army builder seeing what can be squeezed in. This is what i came up with, although it is not perfect by all means.

-Lord (destr body, phase shifter, res orb)
    -6 Flayed Ones
    -10 Warriors
    -10 Warriors
    -3 Wraiths
    -3 Destroyers
    -3 Scarab Bases (Disruprtion Fields) {alternatively you can take 4 bases without Ds Fields for same points)

TOTAL : 999 pts
    I think this has more potential vs IG mainly coz of flayed ones. Also my version has more necrons, 33 making phaseout at 8 models while your has 28 forcing phase out at 7. In my case enemy has to kill 25 models , in your case has to kill 21 models. It can make a diff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Padla
    Heh went tinkering in the army builder seeing what can be squeezed in. This is what i came up with, although it is not perfect by all means.

-Lord (destr body, phase shifter, res orb)
    -6 Flayed Ones
    -10 Warriors
    -10 Warriors
    -3 Wraiths
    -3 Destroyers
    -3 Scarab Bases (Disruprtion Fields) {alternatively you can take 4 bases without Ds Fields for same points)

TOTAL : 999 pts
    I think this has more potential vs IG mainly coz of flayed ones. Also my version has more necrons, 33 making phaseout at 8 models while your has 28 forcing phase out at 7. In my case enemy has to kill 25 models , in your case has to kill 21 models. It can make a diff.
    The three scarab bases are a waste of of points, I would drop them for two more fayed ones and a Warscythe for the lord. The lord is a very efficent tank killer and should stay with the wraiths when possible. If you can infiltrate the flayed ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, the lord does have a scythe in my list i just forgot to write it. 3 scarabs with DSF can still annoy tanks, but i do agree that more flayed ones would be probably better especially since scarbas are vulnerable to templates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scarabs are wasted opints, as said. You really need a unit of 10 with Dfields if you want to accomplish anything. Wraiths are amazing in cityfight, don't drop them for love nor money. Min warriors is good- use cover to advance, try to take out his heavy weapons/ tanks by shooting rather than thinning the ranks of his guard. Get into CC as quickly as possible. Use the destroyers to take his tanks down, then support the warriors in CC. FOs: race 'em up the table and slice and dice.
    *In My Mind*

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list looks ok, but if you want to take a little risk, drop the scarabs and the D-Lord and pick up 3 more wraiths. Wraiths are awesome in Cities of Death, they can move right through walls (you're D-lord can't so putting him there is useless if you want to use the Wraiths to their full potential). This way, you've got two awesome flanker units that move through the buildings he's hiding in, and they're S6, enough to instakill a guardsman. O, and I6 helps too, Not to mention he'll me hitting you on a 5+, and wounding on a 6, then you whip out your 3+ invulnerble save and laugh as the guardsmen do what they were born to do...die.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

O, and I6 helps too, Not to mention he'll me hitting you on a 5+, and wounding on a 6, then you whip out your 3+ invulnerble save and laugh as the guardsmen do what they were born to do...die.

The only unit that really would hit wraiths on 5+ on conscripts and they actually will be wounding you on 5+ as guardsmen have str 3 and wariths T 4. Plus under mass fire the wraiths will die almost effortsly as if the enemy fires more then 20+ lasguns at you your going to fail one of those inv saves. Even close combat isn't the safest as they can just mob up on a small 3 man squad though 6 is a bit more difficult but not by much.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

+ Reply to Thread