Considering An Eldar Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on the verge of finishing one army, and I'm looking ahead to my next. Unlike many people I know, I don't spend a dimeon models for a new army unless i know i will use them AND they look cool. That said the only eldar models i have are 2 jetbikes and a Warp spyder exarch (jet bikes are Ok, but the Exarch looks sweet&#33

I bought the craftworld codex and here are my conclusions:

CW: Iyanden,
    I like wraith Lords, I don't like wraith guard, I don't Like yellow. That pretty much rules them out for me.

CW: Saim-Hann,
    They look awesome, I love jetbikes and vypers, great oppertunity for custom mod of specail character from codex eldar, vypers would make excellent mobile weapons platforms, with good gun options, CTM could really piss the other guy off alot! Could have alot of fun with them.
    Downside, EXPENSIVE, curved hulls on bikes could be VERY difficult to paint, Expensive, hard to transport. Only one heavy support slot

CW: Alaitoc,
    um, no. I already have a DA scout company so i am sick of painting stuff green and using sniper rifles.

CW: Biel-Tan,
    Has great troops choice variety, allows variety of panting styles for Aspect warriors. I like skimmers and grav tanks and their paint theme would be impossible for me to reproduce.

CW: Ulthwe,
    Like the background. Base units seem easy to paint. Oppertunity for many characters (warlocks, farseers) which is a plus when it comes to painting. Lets not forget Eldrad. Strikes me as an army seldom fielded, though I wouldn't know since i mostly play against imperails.

Major factors of consideration:
    A) Points cost to Cash cost ratio: guardians are cheap at 8pts each. For $30, it seems i can get a boxed set containing 16. therefore $30 will buy me 128 points, however if i give all 16 both gernade types its now like 208 points. Now, consider space marines that come 10 to a box and cost 15 each, then i would be paying $30 for 150 points adding their gernade options is 170 points. So considering how they are equiped a guardian squad box can be either a good deal or bad one in terms of points per dollar. Furthermore, which upgrades would you actually want to take?

PAINTING: I hate painting lots of troops that look the same. I mean I REALLY HATE painting lots of troops the same. So if i buy 100 guardians, well I'll probably commit suicide if i decided to customize the helet rune on each one. Therefore I want an army that is fast and easy to paint, but that also looks good painted in such a way. For instance, barring runes on the characters, and vechile desighns, Ulthwe look easy to paint, much more so then say Alaitoc. However, i bet with the use of inks painting Iyanden guardians is easy as anything to make look good. however that particular army doesn't feild as many guardians. Also, i find inking a more pleaseant method of adding character to models then drybrushing.

C) The models: Here is the important part, I want an army that both look cool because of the paint scheme, and looks cool because of the models used. Here are some models from eldar i REALLY LIKE ALOT!!!
    Vypers
    Support weapon batteries
    (guardians in a pinch, its its not to much work to paint)
    WAVE SERPEANT!!!!!
    Warp Spyders
    Warlocks

I also like things that "hover" jetbikes, gravtanks, support weapons platforms, all of these hover.

Models I DON'T like, or don't want:
    wraithguard
    banshees
    scorpions
    Dire avengers.
    war walkers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is most important that you pick the craftworld you want to play, not based on how good they are and what is their strength and weakness, it depends on who plays the army. When you play eldar, you have to play more "cleaver" than for example sm, that is easy to play.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on this army, I think Saim-Han is a good army, they are fast, you don't need a lot of units, because the bikes and vypers are more expencive in points than other units. And they hoover, just what you like :lol:
    But it is really up to you to decide waht army you think you will enjoy and it is most fun to play if you like the army you play....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, i used to want to play iyanden, but i moved on to space marines cuz they were big and tough and hard to kill...

now im thinking of coming back, this time to biel tan, i like the idea of aspect warrior troop choice is nice, and the court of young kings or wutever, das invincible, hehehehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this talk of craftworlds give me a headache . but I guess I'd have to go with the Ulthwe. Just like the look of them. Of course since My chapter is about 1/100th complete (if that) I dont have to worry about that for the near (or far for that matter) future. :ph34r:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow you just limited your self outa some of the best units in the game... stay away from saim hain unless you dont mind loosing 2-3 games.. they are not that good. but with the stuff you wont paint/ play it seems the only choice for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

why dont you make up your own craftworld
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ulthwe are my army of choice out of that lot, even tho I have a biel tan army. The thorn pattern on the biel tan stuff can actually be achieved pretty well with a fine point permanent marker. make sure you get a good quality one tho, cos you want a consistant ink opacity (thick ink and plenty of it) Biel tan is also the only eldar list which can have nothing but aspect warriors (I dont like dire avengers much)

Ulthwe now have the most variety to choose from as far as army lists go as they have their craftworld list as their strike force list, so read them first and see if you like the way they perform.
    Maireann croÃ* éadrom i bhfad - A light heart lives longest

Closed Thread