Cities of Death and Tyranids, A Review - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cities of Death and Tyranids, A Review

OMG OMG OMG Hive Brothers, this is soooooo gonna rawk for us.........

Firtsly, CoD is terrain heavy. Omega level rules you want to put down 10 pieces of area terrain (my recommendation is mount the stuff on bases that makes it 12 inches by 12 inches), all of which confers a 4+ cover save, counts as difficult, and in which our lictors will excel (I normally don't field them too often, because peeps will fill out their area terrain with guys, so I can't get my greater than 1 inch in). Our armor saves tend to suck on our troops, so the cover saves will be invaluable, and Move through Cover on all of our guys will help us retain our speed advantage. To further negate the dreaded shooty, the rules for being inside area terrain a certain distance to conceal units entirely is retained. Very very sneaky, very very helpful. We can give our monsters a stratagem that can make a piece of area terrain Dangerous, and then destroyed, making any nesting shooters inside it have a Bad Day. Template weapons aren't really any more powerful than before, and blast weapons will only hit a certain level, and ignore the troops above and below it.

I wish we could have more than 3 biovores in our army, because indirect fire barrages are going to be very nice to have. I can see people putting out biovores and buying fast attack mines and actually having them be viable. They might, on occasion, earn their points. Long range, low shot weapons (like lascannons) are going to lose their potency, while the regular bolter and heavy bolter are going to be stronger. Watch for those.

The last thing I can say that will definitely help us if this terrain set and rules supplement really take off is the small yet potent difference in the way scoring is handled. To get half points on a squad in regular 40k you need to kill 51% of the squad. To get half points in CoD, you need to inflict 76% casualties (half points given if less than 25% remain). this makes huge broods sitting in major cover that kick absolute ass in melee and aren't bothered by the terrain so much just absolutely awesome. I know I'm repeating myself a bit here, but I'm really excited.:yes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played 4 COD games with my tyranid army and win 4. Hormagaunts, genestealers/ravener and a fliying tyrant are a must for COD. But the strategies are not so good for nids with medic building being the exception (yay for feel not pain in large broods of hormagaunts). Other strategies are just s#it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah well we all knew that Cities of Death would be our time to shine.
    The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Yes it will also be the perfect place to actually get to play my lictors effectivly. Being able to pop out almost anywhere and have a 2+ cover save as well ahh it is heaven for lictors :yes: .
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

I have found that the heavy cc fex's really do a great job in these battles, they are a great way to keep the enemy away from an objectieve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreachon
    I have found that the heavy cc fex's really do a great job in these battles, they are a great way to keep the enemy away from an objectieve.
    Yeah, very few people are willing to charge a fex that is tooled for CC when it's sitting on an objective which also happens to be in cover. Something about the risk of taknig 7 str 9 attacks that makes them want to think twice. All I gotta do now is find a more efficient way of dealing with greater demons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by jackofasses
    Yeah, very few people are willing to charge a fex that is tooled for CC when it's sitting on an objective which also happens to be in cover. Something about the risk of taknig 7 str 9 attacks that makes them want to think twice. All I gotta do now is find a more efficient way of dealing with greater demons.
    Don't greater demons only have a 5+ inv save? If I am wrong then sorry as my area isn't heavy on chaos players(though we do have an iron warriors player I haven't played him yet) otherwise just using a dakkafex or a devil tyrant should be good enough to beat him though if I remeber they can have demonic speed making it a bit harder to kill but as stated before not the best knowledge on chaos.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989
    Don't greater demons only have a 5+ inv save?
    4++, with the exception of the Bloodthirster who has a a regular Armour Save on top of it.

The problem with GDs is that they tend to pop out of their Daemonhost and charge straight into Close Combat, keeping them safe from Dakka-fexes and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Ahh ok then so what do you have to do to get the demon to come out then? Otherwise just concentrate on the squad (or squads again inexperience with chaos) with enough firepower(zoanthropes probally would be good for this).

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Ahh ok then so what do you have to do to get the demon to come out then?
    Chaos players have a complicated roll that they have to pass. With the right upgrade, they have a 75% chance each turn to summon the Greater Daemon if they wish. If they don't want the GD to come out right away, they have a 1/36 (again, with upgrade) to keep it in check for the turn. (That make sense?)

Otherwise just concentrate on the squad (or squads again inexperience with chaos) with enough firepower(zoanthropes probally would be good for this).
    Killing off the Daemonhost instantly summons the Greater Daemon to the field where the host died at. However, from that point on the GD starts taking tests against it's Leadership value and starts suffering wounds if it rolls poorly. I've seen Greater Daemons last until the end of the game before, but I've also seen them die on the first round after their host was killed off.

Even with all of that, killing off the Daemonhost before it can summon remains the most effective way to combat a GD. Though, that's often easier said than done. My other suggestion is to simply throw a large brood of Spinegaunts at it and keep them in Synapse. A big ol' 200+ point model killing off three or four Spines a turn isn't exactly a threat any longer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast