3 HH's: cheese alternatives - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 HH's: cheese alternatives

I'm participating in some upcoming tournaments and I'd like to bring my tau. I have played an 1850 pt list using 2 hammerheads and a sniper drone squad (2 ML's and 5 drones). I would prefer to run 3 HH's in a mechanized list but folks are prone to cry "cheese" when they see 3 HH's. I'm not posting to debate whether this is cheesy, as long as it is frowned upon by the tournament organizers im not going to field 3 HH's. The scoring penalizes this.

What would you all suggest instead of 3 HH's? The snipers got annihilated by deepstriking termies and later by a drop pod in my last games, so I was thinking of 2 broadsides with advanced stabil. systems to give some mobility. Or perhaps just substitute more crisis suits and skip a 3rd heavy. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by chrach
    I'm participating in some upcoming tournaments and I'd like to bring my tau. I have played an 1850 pt list using 2 hammerheads and a sniper drone squad (2 ML's and 5 drones). I would prefer to run 3 HH's in a mechanized list but folks are prone to cry "cheese" when they see 3 HH's. I'm not posting to debate whether this is cheesy, as long as it is frowned upon by the tournament organizers im not going to field 3 HH's. The scoring penalizes this.

What would you all suggest instead of 3 HH's? The snipers got annihilated by deepstriking termies and later by a drop pod in my last games, so I was thinking of 2 broadsides with advanced stabil. systems to give some mobility. Or perhaps just substitute more crisis suits and skip a 3rd heavy. Any ideas?
    What do you have in your main army? This will help us greatly in assisting you if we know what you have, and what you are needing~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I don't really see any way around it if your tournament organizers are going to be jerks about it. I would say go with the broadside team, as they can be surprisingly reliable and have become much more useful with the advanced stabilization system. Just hide them out of LOS first turn then move them into a firing position in 4+ cover.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x3)

I would actually go Ionheads/broadsides to add more flavorable approach to this~ heh but ionhead is still a hammer head... so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too like the broadside team, however dont give them the AS system, It would be cheaper to give them Target Locs so they can target out different targets

I run 2 Railheads and a 3 man broadside team.

Bobo
    Damn the greenbeans! -East of Eden

2000 Tau
    2000 Nids
    Black Templar W.I.P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as the only alternate to HHs are broadsides and sniper drone teams, the choice is fairly obvious. However, broadsides without the ASS are almost useless in my experience. Their high position on your enemy's priority list and lack of mobility mean that they'll likely end up not being able to catch anything worth shooting at and/or get assaulted. I'd rather shoot all three railguns at one tank than not shoot them at all, but if you're getting zerged by an armoured company and need to split your fire, upgrade one member to a team leader and hardwire a target lock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobotheguy
    I too like the broadside team, however dont give them the AS system, It would be cheaper to give them Target Locs so they can target out different targets

I run 2 Railheads and a 3 man broadside team.

Bobo
    agreed. advanced stabilization systems are a bit pricey for what they do, and tend to be used in just the first turn (hide behind cover, then move up to get LOS) incase you lose the dice roll for who goes first. Broadsides also add more anti tank firepower than hammerheads, so your tanks can use that nice big non scatter subunition (or just add to the tank slaughter).

personally for their equipment, I'd give 1 Target Lock, 2 Target arrays, a leader, and a HW target lock. this makes all 3 broadsides able to fire seperately, and 2/3 of your railguns are twinlinked with BS 4 instead of 3 (just adds more assurity to your tank slaughter).

btw, in my opinion, 3 hammerheads isn't really that cheesy (maybe a touch), considsidering they are our only good tank (skyrays ain't worth the points), and compared to the rest of our heavy support, are quite a bit better.
    Donuts anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Humhu
    Seeing as the only alternate to HHs are broadsides and sniper drone teams, the choice is fairly obvious. However, broadsides without the ASS are almost useless in my experience. Their high position on your enemy's priority list and lack of mobility mean that they'll likely end up not being able to catch anything worth shooting at and/or get assaulted. I'd rather shoot all three railguns at one tank than not shoot them at all, but if you're getting zerged by an armoured company and need to split your fire, upgrade one member to a team leader and hardwire a target lock.

Yes indeed. the sheer utility of the ASS is massive, don't underestimate it. It makes broadsides like a whole new unit. It's more than worth the points.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

broadsides; reach out and touch someone in a big way

in the tau empire codex tey removed the option to add additional systems onto our boadsides, because of this, and because a team of 3 breadsides is just a huge ass points sink i would suggest making a team of 1 or 2 of them. a single broadside hasa good chance of hitting, if you need it to do its job more use a markerlight. simply put you can have too much of a good thing, and 3 broadsides is far too static and one trick pony to make it worth it, even if they have ASS. maybe give them some shield drones so they wont get exploded by a single laz cannon, but definately not 3 of them.

in larger point games broadsides really make up their points however (unless you are playin against eldar) they are the perfect weapon to take out heavy tanks worth 4 times their point value; even if they cant move, they restrict any land they cant see from an intellegent opponents. they wont move their tanks there, or else!

edit;

Quote Originally Posted by chrach
    and a sniper drone squad (2 ML's and 5 drones).
    wait, what?
    Last edited by Xofek; June 14th, 2006 at 19:25.
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clarify my army list, I usually run 2 or 3 squads of 10-12 fws, +/- 1 unit kroot, 6 stealths, 4 crisis suits and a shas'o (all fireknife). Im on the fence regarding my pathfinder squad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast