need 500pt army to beat elder - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need 500pt army to beat elder

hey ive got a friend who has been playin elder for like 6 years and he convinced me to start playin so i did, and so i thought i might as well start with tyranid

ive brought the codex for tyranid and elder and the rulebook

plus ive got a hive tyrant which im in the process of painting and assembling, and that battleforce box set which i have not yet opened yet

im considering getting a broodlord to retinue my genestealers from the battleforce

but i dont know wat to make of the rest

for my hive tyrant ive decided to give it enhanced senses, extended carpace, toxin sacs, bonesword and whiplash, and a venom cannon which comes to a total of 177pts

plus wat is toxic miasma and wat does it do... i couldnt find it in the codex
    and watelse would you advise me in doing.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

What is toxic miasma? It reduces the enemy WS, you must be touching them for it to work however. All of the biomorphs are located on the same two pages in the Tyranid rule book in alphebetical order.

You could have a Broodlord for the Genestealers they are very powerful if they infiltrate. Broodlords are to slow too be all that good if they don't infiltrate.
    You already have a Hive tyrant so I would skip adding another HQ for now.

Speaking of the Hive tyrant I'm not sure the Lashwhip and Bonesword are your best choice. Scything talons would be a better idea. It will be cheaper and more destructive.
    Personally I would give the Hive tyrant wings and two pairs of scything talons.Two twinlinked devourers are also good. The Balrog wings are ideal and can be bought from mail order. Also if you're fighting Eldar you should increase it's WS and initiative.

The Gaunt and Hormagaunt broods I sugest you get another boxed set and beef up the size of those two broods. Give the gaunts spinefists and nothing else to be used as cannon fodder or give them toxin sacs and devourers to make them nice and shooty.
    Toxin sacs or maybe adrenal glands will suit the Hormagaunts fine.

The Tyranid warriors and the Carnifex are best specialized. This means make them either good at shooting or good at assault.
    Give the carnifex a venom cannon, enhanced senses and a barbed strangler if you want it to shoot well.
    Give it scything talons and crushing claws for close combat.
    Extended carapace is a very good idea too. Tyranid warriors are best with a gun and scything talons plus enhanced senses. For assault, leaping, rending claws, scything talons and toxin sacs. There are of course many other biomorphs they can have I'm just giving the bare bones.
    Last edited by Leech; June 14th, 2006 at 21:29.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Well against eldar for gaunts I would go with termagaunts (gaunts with fleshborers) since the regular gurdain is T 3 and I think 5+ armor save your gaunts could basically take them down fairly easily (wounding on 3+ and re-rolling wounds is nice). Also you should give us an idea of what your friend has as some units are good but can be worthless against others.

Hormagaunts should deffinatly have AG(+I) as you will need the I to beat eldar and the AG(WS) could be helpful too though with TS you could be wounding on 3+ which for gaunts is awsome.

Warriors can be made into tons of different ways could make them CC or shooty even leaping, winged, or just cheap and hoof it.

For your carnifex I would deffinatly make him shooty as eldar have some pretty fast units thus making a CC fex not really that great not to mention the CC fex can only hit skimmers on 6+. There are two main types of shooty ones, there is the elite choice dakkafex(2 TL dev and ES) and the gunfex(VC, BS, and ES) and are also the most popular so far.

On your HT I wouldn't recommend lash whip and bonesword as they are cool looking but not the best choice(unless you want it cool looking go ahead :yes: ). If he is going to be walking deffinatly get him some tyrant guard as they protect him very well thus he doesn't need EC much either. For equiping a walking tyrant go for ranged weapons as they are the most effective for this type and some weapons combos are VC & BS, VC & TL dev, and 2 TL dev. Now a winged HT is usually either equiped with 2 sets of ST or 2 sets of TL dev(note the TL dev is usually more effective at killing infantry though doesn't look the best).

The next buy I would recomend is probally genestealers or gaunts though if your going for a walking fex deffinatly get some guards for him.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As i play both armies i know wat each one is capable of kinda. If you set your carnifex up wit vc+bs combo you will be slaughtering the eldar as every model more or less has really low toughness. As other people have said if your tyrant is walking make him nice and shooty as well to take eldar out from the distance as well. The main thing to watch out for is they can take some nasty heavy weapons in basic squads and on cheap veihicles and watch out for wraithlords if your opponant uses any as they are nasty to kill in a 500pt battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the advice... im thinking of making a winged hive tyrant, but where can i get those balrog wings and are they huge, cause i dun want to put on small wings on my tyrant, i want them as large as possible, hopefully as large as my hive tyrant is standing up hence scary plus i might need to take my hive tyrant appart if i was to put on wings plus would i need to get that green stuff to attach it on and yeah i might give it 2 pairs of scything talons which i should be able to get from my battleforce spare parts hopefully

well here is my plan for my winged hive tyrant

MOD EDIT -
    Copyrighted Material removed. Please read our rules!

im guessing i'll have to start from scratch again if i was to reconstruct my nid to this strat

so can someone check if i got them right

with half my pts gone, i think i'll jus stick with either jus gaunts, hormogaunts and maybe put in that gun fex

damn i know he has a wraithlord, possibly two, plus some jet bikes of somekind and those crafts with that big diamond thing with like many people on them.

thanks
    Last edited by Caluin; June 16th, 2006 at 18:07.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

You cannot put more then one of the same biomorph on your HT thus no +3 WS or +2 I so that will free up you some points.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh... by the way i went out to find if i can get balrog's wings but i cant and it would cost me $40 australian to jus get it to be shipped here to Australia which means i could buy basically a model with wings on it, and jus take those wings off it and still have some part of a model without wings and make the rest of the model part of my scenery...

any other suggestions on how i could get wings could i use that green stuff to make it

thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

The Balrog's wings are hard to find I'm not sure if they can be shipped to Australia but I don't see why not. If you look in GW's online store in the Lord of the rings section it has a section called components look there for the Balrog's wings in there.
    If you can't find those then your alternatives are plastic dragon wings, URRRGH, or the Bloodthirsters wings which are metal.

In addition you can make your own. You will need a strong structure made from wire and the membrane of the wings can be made from tissue paper. Use green stuff to reinforce the wings and create details. Wings need to be strongly anchored to the model or they ,WILL, snap off. Believe me I have had one or two lovely winged monsters come apart only weeks after they were painted. I also strongly suggest you look at real life wings on animals and study them closely, a trip to the zoo or a image seach online should suffice.

An alternative to wings is bio-boosters or a rocket pack for the Hive tyrant.
    These work the same way in the game they just look different than wings. Make them by using spare Tyranid gun barrels on the models back.
    Last edited by Leech; June 15th, 2006 at 20:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

My personal experience, teaches me that you should avoid playing with Tyranids under 800 points. Maybe you could just get him to play foor 1000 or more?

If that isn't possible (and you use the Scout rules intended for 400 points), you should use a group of Tyranid Warrior about 4 guys big. Around that, use spinegaunts (remember you can't use Ripper swarms because they have 3 wounds) and genestealers. This way you can still field quite a number of T'nids. Use the Spinegaunts as shield, and use the genestealers to ripp your opponent appart. If able, use 2 little groups of Genestealers instead of 1 large unit. And protect your Hivemind in these matches, because they are in these circumstances really easy to get ridd off!
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilconic
    My personal experience, teaches me that you should avoid playing with Tyranids under 800 points. Maybe you could just get him to play foor 1000 or more?
    Funnily enough, my experience is currently the opposite. I played the mighty Nids in a recent campaign starting at 525 points and moving up to 750 and then 1000. Out of 10 games I had only 2 losses - my best run of wins evar. My opponents were SMs (BTs, UMs, SW 13th), CSMs (Alpha Legion), and Sororitas.

I think my army worked particularly well in this because it was TMC heavy. At these points, the food has difficulty fielding enough big guns to put them down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast