Does anyone actually like Ionheads? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone actually like Ionheads?

I know everyone loves the Railhead with their whole body, but no one ever raises a torch for the less expensive Ionhead. Personally, I love this thing. It can scoot around another tanks flank and put 3 shots in the side armor. And lemmie say, troop transports and skimmers are some of the things I wanna shoot first on the battlefield.

I've heard people say the scatter shot can kill as many MEQ's as the Ion Cannon. I guess it could, if a squad of marines were nice enough to stand that close together? What about the extra cost of that cannon? I know the tanks are tough, but ~170pts seems like a lot to invest in one model even if it is that tough.

I dunno, just wondering I guess. Since the cost of the Ion cannon was severely reduced I've been looking at it as a good option, but I havnt heard of anyone doing the same...

KROOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love the ion cannon, but atm my army list cant fit anything else in the heavy weapon slot. as far as heavy infantry and light vehicles/skimmers go you cant beat the ion head.
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Personally I really like the ion head as it is a cheap SM killer and with 3 shots you can take out weaker armor without using your rail gun on them.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i almost find the ion cannon to be the equal of the railgun, and thats if it were equal points.
    considering the vast points difference, i actually find the ion cannon to be a far superior and cost effective weapon, except perhaps against hordes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Yeah, I love them, I almost always take one in games against MEQ's, however like Xofek my current list is a Farsight Enclave and so unfortunately cannot have one =[
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love them!

Here where I play I have to fight some Marines or Necrons every tourney or everytime I play, and I run three HH just to keep up with some of these guys. If I take more than one HH I always get one ionhead... and with my newest list I ever considered 2, but the pie plates just made me drool. Ionheads have their uses, light armor and the like, and being able to move your 12, fire 3 ap3 shots into some marines ain't that bad for as few points as it costs (at least compared with the Railhead) It always worth it to take one if you as me... that is if your going to take 2 anyway
    If you can see Chuck Norris he can see you, and if you can't see Chuck Norris you could only be seconds away from death!

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

While every weapon, unit and army has it's role which it shines in, when deciding between the Ion Cannon and the Railgun, I would more often take the Railgun, for several reasons.

1] I would much rather take out an enemy tank from the back of my deployment zone with a Railgun with lots of LOS blocking terrain and such then having to get beside it somewhere in the middle of the board and quite close the the enemy in most cases.

2] While the Ion Cannon is good at taking out MEQs, in my experiance I find hte Railgun with it's large blast and good Str and AP will kill more in a tournament setting (we have more experianced players, so that means less MEQs then average)

Not to say I never use Ion Cannons, I did in my most recent tournament as I had 2 Broadsides for taking care of tanks, unfortunetly I found that I usually had to get very close to the enemy to try and flush out tnaks or enemy units and that the Hammerhead was blown up everygame....but who knows, Armored Companies are Very hard to stop. ;D

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is MEQ?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the best of my knowledge,

MEQ = Marine Equivalent armies, ie: 3+ saves.
    GEQ = (Imperial) Guard Equivalent armies, ie: 5+ saves.

I believe that armies with general 6+ saves are also counted as GEQs, since there aren't enough AP6 weapons to make a huge difference when tailoring armies. As for armies like us with majority 4+ saves, I don't really know where we fall.

As for ionheads, I can't say I ever play with them, since I play IG as my main opponent, and its simply too difficult to circle around AV14 when there's just...so many lascannons on the board. Due to the cover-heavy nature of our boards, I find that when I get a clear shot, its always facing his front. Sadly, the ion cannon simply doesn't cut it in this case.

Against marines, I'm considering not even taking ion or railheads anymore, since every time I do, my opponent simply drop pods some meltas behind them and blows them to high heaven. Guaranteed, or his points back.
    Last edited by Humhu; June 19th, 2006 at 07:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Railguns you really do pay points for versatility and convienience, you just can't beat blasting a Russ Monolith or LR from across the battlefield. The submunition round is generally a more effiicient choice just because it works better against horde armies, but is still pretty decent against MEQs. In general, I never trust my AT capability in 1500+ pts games to anything less than a Railhead, just too flexible tactically. Ionheads have their uses in smaller games where you don't have to squeeze them in as badly as the Railheads and probably won't see AV14, but even at a cost difference of 35 pts in the new codex, I doubt Ionheads will come close to replacing Railheads in larger games.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast