tau vs necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tau vs necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

tau vs necrons

I play Tau and i usually do the whole devilfish transport minimual firewarriors long distance strategy.

what are teh possible things necrons can do to beat me in battle like this?

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Well really devilfishes probally wouldn't be the best against nercons for the simple fact that they probally will get shot down by the warriors and their gauss. So it probally isn't the best idea for devilfishes against necrons.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if they field destroyers or heavy destroyers, those can take down a devilfish, watch out for heavies. Keep your devilfish away from gauss weaponry and use your longer range to your advantage, a basic necron warrior's gun shoots 24" while tau pulse rifles shoot 30". Take down the destroyers as fast as you can, normal ones can insta-kill normal firewarriors and heavies can punch through armor like it was paper. If you have railguns, use em against the destroyers first, then focus on the necron warriors. also, the lord might have a VoD and be able to move a unit right behind or into your lines at any time. Basically take down the big ones first while keeping away from the warriors. hop that helps
    “You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” ~ Woody Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do this:

Take out every long range he has, as fast as possible. Make sure you eliminate them all too. like pinpoint destroyer squads with a few units, making sure they DIE.

You eliminate these few troops that have speed, theres where the fun starts. You start gunning them down, and focus fire too, i guess. Its the only thing you can do. Just shoot, hide and deny victory pts.

Also, it is true that gause is scary, but not as too much as people fear of them. I mean, its on a 6 to glance. They are nice for antitanking, but crons do not excel in antitanking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Tau will always have trouble with necrons. The best advice I've heard about how to deal with (even though it was a joke) was 9 broadsides. Most Tau vehicles don't last to long against 'crons, in fact vehicles from any army rarely survive the game. The heavy destroyers are probably the least useful unit in their list because much less expensive units like destroyers and immortals are much more functional and will smother you with an un-godly hail of bullets. To put it simply, firewarriors do little against 'crons in general b/c most of their more threatening weapons are at least AP4 S5 which mowes them down in droves. Unlike armies like guard, you can't afford to lose models on this scale, so therin lies the dilema. I guess the best you can really do is hope he does something stupid like bring out a Star God, monolith, or wastes alot of points on things that can't get back up. I've had limited success with sniper drones and crisis teams and stealth teams are good harassing troops, but Tau have nothing that can really go toe-to-toe with Necrons.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Also the main weakness of necrons is CC and even deadly is CC with powerweapons which is nothing the tau have (unless you go for farsight since he is really the only good CC unit in the entier codex). Tau really can't fight the necrons in a war of atrition as the necrons will always come out on top with better Ap, armor saves and WBB. Not to mention the most powerfull units of the tau their vehicles can very easily die from almost any gun they have not to mention they have some very fast units named scarabs that will mow down FW in CC on turn 2 easily...
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x3)

well so far we've played on relativly big boards, so he never catches up to me
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that most of the people on this thread seem to believe that tau have a very hard time with the necrons. I've seen most of the battles that AlbinoAlien is talking about. Albino does pretty awesome with a record of 4-1-2 in WIns-Losses-Ties. The loss was in a six army battle, so he's not doing too bad against these necrons.
    The next battle they have is a 750 pt. I'm eager to see Albino perform and I expect the Tau will be victorious. One of us will let you guys know how it turns out.

For those who are looking for anti-necron advice, here's some observations i've recorded in my mind. For the most part, what albino's been doing is scooting around the table, avoiding CC (as all good tau should do), not focusing on firewarriors but the elites, hammerheads and his Ninja'O HQ. These are the units that will keep necrons down. Albino can normally take out the fast moving guys such as destroyers and a destroyer lord, like some of you had said. The necron player uses a nightbringer, which soaks up both his points and Albino's fire. He recently goy a monolith also, and thats where the ties began.

Anyone have any good advice for Albino in killing the monolith? He normally uses his cool hammerheads and when in desperate need, his HQ's fusion blaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Well really the best way to take down a monolith is HH or broadsides as railguns are the bane of them. Also fusion blasters are a bad idea to go against monoliths as they need 6's to just get a glancing since you can't get the 2D6 against them because of living metal rule. Though yes it is a good idea to keep a low amount of FW as they not the most effective against the crons.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sure you will hear people whine about this, but because of the huge point cost of every necron unit on the board, they are severely gimped in less than 1000 point games. but anyway

against necrons i would suggest a good old ion cannon, or seeker missile support. they are cheaper than railheads, since they will most likely be taken out regaurdless, but since all necron armor is +3, they will rip it up. seeker missiles will not allow a WBB save as they instakill, and the ion cannon is wonderful at blowing up heavy destroyers before they blow your tanks and suits up, and destroyers before they EAT your firewarriors.

charge necrons when you can(when it is smart), because of their low innitiative you will attack first (not counting flayed ones and wraiths) stealth suits work especially well, as a full unit gets 18 S5 shots and then another 18 S4 hits before the necron unit can do anything back.

speaking if wraiths, they are 41 points for a sinlge T4 wound with a +3 invaunerable save. massed pulse fire will rip them up easily

helios pattern suits, ion cannons, concentrate fire. broadsides for monoliths, but not ****ing 9 of them
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast