Footslogging question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footslogging question

Ok, so my army has a mobile flanking and fire support section and a footslogging section. The footslogging part is made up of 2 10 man storm guardian flamer squads with a warlock packing destructor and two full striking scorpion squads (standard outfit) then a couple of Wraithlords with bright lances.

My question is whether you would suggest using stealth on the scorps or keeping them with the rest of the footslogger to draw fire. 40 souls marching up the center can be pretty intimitating, but would the scorps do more if the began 18" away from the enemy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Scorps, every inch that moves them closer to getting there Bucket O' Dice of S4 attacks closer to the enemy is good. I won't even mention the Exarch's hit on a 3+ invisible powerfist. Infilrating Rangers as well as scorpians can allow you to set up fire support for your infiltraters.

If you are having them walk, okay, but remember they can't FoF. So in that case, you don't want stormies with flamers - you won't defenders with conceal-locks and starcannons. They'll stay in a group and put out a lot of fire support.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I'd say stealth them as well. You can always choose not to deploy them that way if you're playing an army with much better assault troops than you have. But against a shooty army you want to scorpeons in front and threatening right away otherwise I can't imagine those guardians lasting long enough to do their thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

1.) What exactly does 'hidden powerfist' mean?

2.) Here's an idea. Use your flank on one side, footsloggers take the other, scorps infiltrate.

Flank ties up the enemy, I assume, the 'flank' consists of vypers / falcons / jetbikes (anythign that can move quickly) That's good for tying up the enemy, think about it, a strong squad can take out one squad, a squad that appears stronger than it is (vypers w/ starcannons, falcons, anything big and expensive looking (this is where psychological warefare comes into play, make a big expensive looking, fast unit, it isn't supposed to deal alot of damage, just get your opponent to shoot at it. Any unit shooting at it won't be shooting at your scorpions / footsloggers.

The footsloggers are going to advance, laying down a hail of fire before them, hopefully taking out enemy squads.

The scorpions are going to infiltrate, and attack the rear side that the flank is tying up, this way, one half of your opponent's army is held up. The other half is going to have to decide whether to attack the scorpions, (probably the better choice tactically) or attack your footsloggers. If the scorpions are a decent distance (at least 18" and out of normal assault range, hopefully in close combat) then they would probably choose to attack the footies.

Now, hopefully, your flank is the second to last thing you deploy. (unless it's falcons, then you'll have to think a bit more) Now, the flank should be positioned so that they can tie up enemy armor. The scorpions will move in (at 30 points a full squad, haywire grenades are the ultimate tank buster) and finish anything left over. The sloggers (hopefully) will be able to attack lightly armored troops / light vehicles. I would look into changing out the lances for cannons, in order to maximize the amount of firepower you can deploy.

The number one thing to remember is that each element in an Eldar army HAS to complement another, leave any squad exposed without support, and it will get destroyed.

However, if you have something that does something well, then make it do that well, do not mix tactics within squads, for example, the guardians slogging with the wriathlord. The lords are sporting brightlances, very good anti-heavy armor weapons, while the guardians are armed with.... flamers? Make them both closer, light troops, or make them guardian defenders with lances or starcannons.

However, you could deploy the lords seperate from the guardians, (this would lower the intimidation factor of two lords walking forward with a small army moving with them) it would free up for some more tactical decisions, however. The lords could be used to tie up armor, while the flank harrasses the light troops, waiting for the guardians / scorpions to get there.

This last strategy would probably work better if your opponent has only 1 tank, as then it could get destroyed by the lords rather quickly, who then try to foot slog into close combat.

I always thought the brightlance was rather a waste on a wraithlord, as you are meant to get them into combat with weaker enemy troops, so you will want to take out as many as you can each turn to get them down to a manageable squad size. The starcannon has three shots a turn, the lance only one. For popping tanks, it's great, for general purpose weapon it's not as useable as a starcannon.

Good luck, and I would definitely like to know what you use in your fast flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a 'hidden powerfist' is a dude in a squad with a powerfist (or scorp claw and eq.) that isn't a character. They can't pick him out with shooting or closecombat so he has an entire squad to keep him alive.
    The Morbidos Fleet will reclaim the Eldar empire. This time there shall be no mercy. Let them choke in their own blood!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Thank you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I'm not sure that's how I'd handle flanking with eldar. I find that one of our advantages is to be able to deny an opponent the ability to use all the units in their army. If you attack up each flank there will be things to target, charge, etc for all of their units.

If you instead use your mobility to pull all your units off of one side you can often leave a bunch of your opponents units all alone while crushing the other half of their army with the entirety of yours.

This works best against melee type armies obviously but I've found it works well with shooters as well. They might be able to draw some line of sight across the battlefield at some unit but it's often not the one they'd like to shoot. And they may have to make a bunch of leadership tests to get a good target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you do staelth then get some support to prevent every heavy weapon from raining down on you and killing them all cause thats about 400pts (if both squads get nailed) down the drain which is never good

So you might want serpents instead

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

1.) Keeping your army together is always a viable option, however, if you can effectively stop one half of an army, you can destroy it piece by piece, in a 'hammer and anvil' type strategy. Both can be effective, ultimately, I think it comes down to what units you are using, and your parrticular fondness for a certain tactic.

2.) The scorpions REALLY have to wait a turn until someone makes a mistake and gets a squad within assault range. Once they are in range, they cannot be fired upon. Just make sure that they have enemies to fight or they WILL be torn apart in shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the scorps are footslogging along with your guardians, they will be shot down.
    use stealth and make shure you don't forget the fleet on foot rule for the guardians.

+ Reply to Thread