Just Starting Tyranids -- Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi i'm just starting tyranids
    any nid players out there -- can you give me some advice on what to get and how to design my army. i prefer a balanced tyranid army

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Well i'm not a nid player, but i have played against them.
    You should think about what kind of nids you like to field. The classic "Tidal wave of claws" can work nicely, though often its shot to pieces before they get to grips with the enemy.
    A friend of mine started collecting nids a while back and the biggest mistake he made was not fielding enough troops. Go for claw power from the start and think about designing your own species, but dont get lost in the stats and keep it simple but effective.
    Keep your HQ's protected (atleast those with the synapse thingy) because once they are gone, well you know. Also, think about your ranged firepower. I won several games because he couldnt shoot down my squads (devourers? pah! :lol: ).

This has just been some ranting from me, i hope it helps in some small way.

PrOtOcoN

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this your first army? If so, then sorry, but if not then go for some conversions. Give everything wings.

OK, a winged tyrant is expensive (160-170 pts) but it is awesomely effective, cause it has good speed and can keep up with the gaunts. Just jump it behind cover, and when the gaunt rush has hit so cannot be shot over, jump him in where you need to do the most damage. Back this up with some warriours with claws and wings and you can take out armour quickly without having to rely on the slower wave.

Also, as you have a synapse creature up front, then your gaunts don't run away (even with hive nodes they run way too often). This stops that annoying case when your gaunts hit the marine line and bounce off, giving then 3 or 4 turns of lascannoning the carnifex.

TBH i don't think shooting is worthwhile (the 24" assault gaunts tie them up, the stealers/carnifex kill them) but you may want to take along a biovore against imp guard/dark eldar to kill their open topped vehicles with poison mines, while a carnifex with a barbed strangler is good. these are the only 3 guns (2 biovores) in my 1500pt army.

Lots of gaunts are needed, but TBH i find the best are hormagaunts and spinegaunts (gaunts with just a spinefist - 5 pts bargin&#33. These guys just get in combat and die, stopping the shooting.

Some armies are much easier to fight against than others - ie I find that marines are the easiest to kill as the relatively low number of units allows me to swamp the shooty ones with gaunts and stop them from shooting on turn 2, while they have vey few things that can kill stealers. I am sure many good marine players will prove me wrong, but this is my view in general. Except for those pesky black templars.

On the other hand, i hate playing against Eldar, because they are just too shooty, and if you don't get the fleet of claw rolls then your gauunts get shredded by the awesome (&#33 shuraken catapults, while starcannons can destroy just about anything big. Also, hiding behind cover just doesn't work because of the falcon and vipers.

So there, i've missed pleanty of things out, but i hope it helps you draw your own conclusions to play a nid army. Oh yeah, stay away from lictors at first, they just too expensive for a small amry, but in 1500+ then take them

Finally, just take what looks good. Normally things that look awesomely killy ARE awesomely killy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my army is based on a wave style swarm, where the pressure is mounted by your weaker
    units holding up the enemies front line so they cant shoot back at you and then wave after
    wave the pressure grows until the front line of their army is smashed and they get thrown into
    utter chaos!

the idea of my army is not to swarm outright in 1 big hit but to build a giant wave, anyway the
    following it my list for 1500pts

---

1 Razorfly Tyrant (HQ) @ 189 Pts
    Adrenal Glands (In); Adrenal Glands (WS); Enhanced Senses; Extended
    Carapace; Toxin Sacs; Wings; Scything Talons (x2)
    #Synapse Creature [0]
    #The Horror [0]
    Warp Blast [20]

1 Razorfly Tyrant (HQ) @ 189 Pts
    Adrenal Glands (In); Adrenal Glands (WS); Enhanced Senses; Extended
    Carapace; Toxin Sacs; Wings; Scything Talons (x2)
    #Synapse Creature [0]
    #The Horror [0]
    Warp Blast [20]

12 Genestealers (Troops) @ 192 Pts
    Rending Claws

12 Genestealers (Troops) @ 192 Pts
    Rending Claws

11 Deathgaunt Species (Troops) @ 142 Pts
    Adrenal Glands (In); Leaping; Toxin Sacs; Scything Talons; Hive Node (x1)

11 Deathgaunt Species (Troops) @ 142 Pts
    Adrenal Glands (In); Leaping; Toxin Sacs; Scything Talons; Hive Node (x1)

11 Scythegaunt Species (Troops) @ 76 Pts
    Scything Talons; Hive Node (x1)

11 Scythegaunt Species (Troops) @ 76 Pts
    Scything Talons; Hive Node (x1)

8 Gargoyle Brood (Fast Attack) @ 80 Pts
    Fleshborer; Bio-Plasma Attack

8 Gargoyle Brood (Fast Attack) @ 80 Pts
    Fleshborer; Bio-Plasma Attack

1 Mutable Carnifex (Heavy Support) @ 141 Pts
    Adrenal Glands (WS); Enhanced Senses; Extended Carapace; Scything Talons
    (x1); Venom Cannon

Models in Army: 87

Total Army Cost: 1499
    ---

the following is how the army is designed to hit in waves sort of like the list in order below

scythegants
    deathgaunts
    gargoyles (slow down incomming heavy trooper fire and create
    crossfires)
    Genestealers
    Tyrants
    carnifex

---

i know the army looks weakly numbered in squads but the idea is if even 1 guy survives in that
    squad then the enemy wont be shooting back at the next wave, then eventually the front line
    breaks (like i said before) and it all gets messy.

there is antitank there but it has to be "selective" antitank shooting.

now from what i hear a tyrant like this will reak absolute havoc amongst the enemy ranks, and
    they are fast enough to still give the gaunt swarm the synapse.

the carnifex doesnt need a +1 str upgrade because it is made redundant by the "monstrous
    creture" ability and the venom cannon adds +2 str to the shot, meaning only 1 str is "wasted".

mind you i have not tested this list but intend to VERY soon, pity i can use it in a tourney : /
    they banned mutable genus nids : / and they STILL havnt got out the rules to do it legaly after
    how long... hmmm

anyway, hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's worth giving the carnifex +1 I if you are playing the new assault rules cause otherwise you are simultaneous with power fists.

Also, is it really worth taking the warp blasts? Probably the way you play, but you are paying the points for the BS upgrade (8 pts? i can't remember) and TBH you don't want the tyrant to have line of sight to anyone, because that normally means he is not hiding enough. To be honest, this is just how I play (very cautiously) but i have topo many bad space wolf long fang experiences.

Oh yeah, and i totally agree with the 2 wave stratergy, espically with the fast leaping ability (too good?) and has anyone tried to create an exact gargoyle clone with the mutatable genus rules, they turn out at 20 pts! Was this a mistake or a game balance thing, as hormagaunts made by mutating gaunts are still the right amount (10pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't mutate ur gargoyles (or simply make ur termagaunts get wings) = much cheaper!

Inciner8or, how large army have u got?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only 2500 pts (but more if you give warriors armour, good guns etc) so could probably get 3000, but i happy with my 2500 list as fair.

I'm reasonably new to 40k, but i did play old edition eldar (4000 pts biel tan not including spec characters). Got loads of fantasy chaos, and some really old stuff. I've started playing again recently

Bout the gargoyles, they cost 10 pts. But if you make a gargoyle by mutating a gaunt, they cose 17 pts for exactly the same stats. Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

digimon -- i'v just got a hive tyrant, and a box of gaunts. how do you make your hive tyrant winged?
    by the way, this nids are my 3rd 40k army after tau and imperial guard, so i know quite a lot of useless general knowledge already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U got the army book yet? If so then look at the mutatable genus. Try to get a GW staff member to talk you through your first few choices (one who plays tyranids preferably) as it's the most complicated army selection thing in WH40K.

To make a tyrant winged you got to make a mutated hive tyrant and give him the winged upgrade from the movement section of the mutatable genus table. It costs about 40 points (I think) and then you got to convert your tyrant. I suggest the new plastic dragon wings - if you've got one of the recent WD with the spotlight on that guy's awesome red and black tyranid army then you should see how it's done and how good it looks. If you're going to put wings on your warriors then i suggest morathi's nightmare's wings, though these are a little heavy and expensive so if anyone has any better suggestions...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

I guess gargoyles are very effective because the models come in blisters - if you want to have the nonplusultra, then you have to buy metal minis....

However, also take into account that gargs have quite big models, so it will be harder to fit many of them into base contact. This might be included in the stats, since these are not calculated but rather a matter of gaming experience of the army designers.

jwu

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast