Ripper Blues - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripper Blues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ripper Blues

So lastnight I go up against my buddy's tyranid army in a quick 500pt S&D mission. We only got 3 turns into it before it got too late but, even then I discovered a problem. He uses ripper bases like candy. Having a 12" assault range and 3 wounds per base, they need to be taken out quickly as to not engage my shooty units too soon. Well, when it was all said and done I had taken out 2 1/2 of his ripper units and he had killed 1 1/2 of my guardian squads (the rippers taking out the 1/2 and his broodlord and genes massacring the other). A combination of eldritch storm and warpspiders killed his one of his units of rippers (the template doing double damage) and a combo of guardians and vibrocannon support killing 1 1/2 of the others.
    Heres the problem: I get dirt for victory points for killing rippers but they MUST be dealt with against my shooty army. I can only imagine what kind of a distraction they will be in our 2000pt battle when he has 20+ ripper bases on the board.
    I think template weapons are the key, but I cant come up with one with a good range that can compete with that 12" assault range.
    Suggestions?

The Wanderers have returned...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

D-Cannons are probably your best bet. A three Cannon squad would lay down a nice barrage, but you need to let him come to you. Make sure something he wants to kill is about 12" in front of them.

After that Eldar missle launchers with plasma.

I know it'll sound strange, but it seems like a fire prism would help with that in some way. If you wanted to avoid the range issue. You'd have to take at least two though since it's a single shot weapon.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe scatter lasers on Vypers are a much better solution and also put the scatter lasers in your guardian squads. The 4' range will give you plenty of room to demolish the nids.
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe the rippers had some rule about getting double wounds against barage weapons i think. Also remember, the y may have 3 wounds but they only have a T3 and CAN be instakilled despite the symbioses thing.
    The Morbidos Fleet will reclaim the Eldar empire. This time there shall be no mercy. Let them choke in their own blood!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

They will face such a horrible death when you bring out 3 War Walkers with Scatter lasers. Or star cannons if you want to take down the big guys easy afterwards.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Nonono, you guys have got it all wrong. Warp spiders are the answer to defeating the rippers. Their guns will INSTAKILL a ripper base, be sure to let your opponent know this. The ripper's 6+ save will do nothing to save them, and just to be safe, bring the Withdraw skill with you. After they assault (if they assault after your 2nd jump) you get to leave combat and shoot them again. Every other warp spider should be killing a ripper, and if you're in rapid fire range, every warp spider should kill a ripper base. Remember, S6 vs T3 = INSTANT DEATH.

Your REAL problem is eliminating synapse. If your enemy uses Warriors, redirect your Warp Spiders at them, if he/she uses Hive Tyrants or Zoanthropes, Starcannons and Bright lances will do fine.

Also, a Wraithlord will hold a ripper swarm in close combat indefinitely.

Just wondering, what does your list look like, what does his list look like, and how does he outfit his rippers? I know he must have leaping, but what else?
    Last edited by lLonginus; July 1st, 2006 at 05:55.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus
    Nonono, you guys have got it all wrong. Warp spiders are the answer to defeating the rippers. Their guns will INSTAKILL a ripper base, be sure to let your opponent know this. The ripper's 6+ save will do nothing to save them, and just to be safe, bring the Withdraw skill with you. After they assault (if they assault after your 2nd jump) you get to leave combat and shoot them again. Every other warp spider should be killing a ripper, and if you're in rapid fire range, every warp spider should kill a ripper base. Remember, S6 vs T3 = INSTANT DEATH.

Your REAL problem is eliminating synapse. If your enemy uses Warriors, redirect your Warp Spiders at them, if he/she uses Hive Tyrants or Zoanthropes, Starcannons and Bright lances will do fine.

Also, a Wraithlord will hold a ripper swarm in close combat indefinitely.

Just wondering, what does your list look like, what does his list look like, and how does he outfit his rippers? I know he must have leaping, but what else?
    Ummm... Scatter lasers have str 6 as well and as an added bonus have 4 times the range of a spider. In addition, it ignores the swarm's pathetic armor save.

Warp spiders are effective, yes, but are more likely to get take damage because of their shorter range (even if they warp for a second time).
    Last edited by hsin_dragon; July 1st, 2006 at 18:27.
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ow yeah that's what it's called synapse. Since rippers are mindless they don't get the benefits for synapse! So instakill them. Scatterlasers and/or shurcannons.
    The Morbidos Fleet will reclaim the Eldar empire. This time there shall be no mercy. Let them choke in their own blood!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rippers do get the benefit of synapse, they just don't get the drawback of following instinctive behavior. Very crucial difference. Stealers are the same way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Yes, while scatter lasers are all nice and good, there are several drawbacks to such a strategy:
    1.) You're taking a scatterlaser instead of a starcannon.
    2.) If you took a starcannon, you would be able to kill Leader-beasts AND rippers.
    3.) You're specializing. You're specifically taking a weapon to beat a specific enemy. In tournaments/etc. you'll find yourself hindered.

Archeantus mentioned that he already had some Warp Spiders, and seemed to enjoy using them. I was trying to offer a useful strategy without significantly altering his strike force.

Oh, and by the way, yes, ALL Tyranids within synapse range cannot be instant killed. Warp Spiders would be useful because they can do good damage versus Warriors AND rippers, Archeantus' potential problem sources.

Still waiting to see what kind of list you play, Archeantus.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast